Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sources of Injury details

JMakoul

Hello. I am inquiring as to learn more about what are the sources that contain injury details for soldiers?  If one lives in England and is able to physically search microfiche slides of local newspapers, etc, is it possible to find such information?  It seems internet searching for such details has its limitations. 

Edited by JMakoul

the PIN series can be useful. Details at the national archives. I've only found one file though to a Coldstreamer when I looked but that was years ago. No idea how many are there.

local papers are a good source.

service papers are bit hit and miss.

17 hours ago, JMakoul said:

Hello. I am inquiring as to learn more about what are the sources that contain injury details for soldiers?  If one lives in England and is able to physically search microfiche slides of local newspapers, etc, is it possible to find such information?  It seems internet searching for such details has its limitations. 

Any soldier in particular ?

As Coldstreamer has pointed out there are various records but you're relying on them surviving. The majority of casualty records that go beyond just confirming a man was wounded are incomplete, often only surviving as small statistical samples.

Craig

If you have a subscription to Find My Past you have access to the National Newspaper Archives.  I've found quite a few injured men that way although it does often say 'wounded' with out any information.

Worth a look though.

19 CCS diary includes tables of operations performed giving name/number, injury and outcome. Possibly 200 names.

Will provide an extract tomorrow.

TEW

Been busy Diane! Missed those. Looks like I underestimated how many there were, 900 ish just for April 17.

TEW

Thank you, what is the PIN series? 

My request is for Albert George Blain (soldier no: 16020)

2nd Essex Regiment 

Disabled July 1, 1916 

On 4/10/2018 at 08:34, ss002d6252 said:

Any soldier in particular ?

As Coldstreamer has pointed out there are various records but you're relying on them surviving. The majority of casualty records that go beyond just confirming a man was wounded are incomplete, often only surviving as small statistical samples.

Craig

2nd Essex Regiment 

Disabled July 1, 191

• Admin
1 hour ago, JMakoul said:

2nd Essex Regiment 

Disabled July 1, 191

July 1st which year? Seen in post#1 it is 1916

I have the 2nd battalion's war diary so will take a look for you

David

Edited by DavidOwen

• Admin

My apologies as I hadn't fully understood the OP's original request however I have sent you a pm with the day's war diary pages in case these are actually of interest.

Regards

David

16 hours ago, JMakoul said:

Thank you, what is the PIN series? 

The files at the National Archives which came from the Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance, as it was then called. I don't think that any of them are available to download.

Ron

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

My apologies as I hadn't fully understood the OP's original request however I have sent you a pm with the day's war diary pages in case these are actually of interest.

Regards

David

Please no need to apologize, I am grateful for all of the information. Thank you!