Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Acknown

Here are three soldiers listed on the Roll of Honour of Hyde, a village in Hampshire which I am researching. All survived the war. I have local knowledge, have trawled Ancestry and the NA on-line and have deduced the regiments in which they served, but cannot prove them. If anyone has any additional information, crucially confirmation that the regiments are correct, I would be more grateful. They are (two names only on birth certificates in each case - MIC links are to Ancestry):

• George Dymott. b.1876 Gorley, Hampshire. Parents George and Keturah Dymott. Lived in Gorley 1911. Married Anne Shaw 1919. Possibly 33636 33638, Pte, 1 FSG (?) Bn Somerset LI. Medal Roll - George Dymott.
  • Henry (AKA Harry) Dymott. Brother of above. b.1892 Gorley. Lived in Gorley 1911. Married Elsie Candy 1925. Possibly 203139, Pte, 1/4 Hampshires. Medal Roll - Henry Dymott.
  • Harry Deacon. b.1891 Fordingbridge. Parents Charles and Ellen Deacon. Married Elsie Wit 1921. Possibly 23062, Pte, 15 Hampshires and 1 Hampshires. Medal Roll - Harry Deacon. Note that Reginald Witt from Fordingbridge, b.1892, served in 1 Hampshires and was killed on 08 Aug 16 (No. 23061).

Many thanks,

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
Correction

Was George Dymott a civilian when he married in 1919? Marriage Certs usually listed men's Regt's if they were still serving, note that his number is 33638 not 33636.

In each case the men were eligible for a vote in the 1919 General Election, if they were still serving when the voters roll was compiled in 1918 then they'd be on the Absent voters roll and their Regts maybe listed, the voters roll should be available at the local research library to the village, you an also look at the local newspaper for mentions of them.

Sam

Sam,

Many thanks, good advice. I'll check.

Acknown

... I've found George's marriage certificate - farm labourer. But he was transferred to the Z Reserve 01 Jan 20. Does that make sense?

Edited by Acknown
More information

Harry Deacon 23062 was wounded and appears in Casualty List 23/8/17 with home town /place of enlistment Fordingbridge. So looking good.

Charlie,

Great, many thanks.

Acknown