Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Above the Trenches

MikeyH

Thursday 12 April at 8.00 pm on Yesterday channel 19 on Freeview, a one hour programme on the Royal Flying Corps.

Presented by Saul David and based on his book 'Bloody April'.

Mike.

I thought it was based on Peter Hart's book. Could be wrong.

Presented by Saul David, based on Peter's book, it says in the Sunday Times Culture magazine.

My error!

Mike.

Watched the first episode last night and found it interesting in places but too much CGI and bad acting made me lose interest after a while.

It also suffered from the same problem that put me off ' The Great War in Numbers' , namely that the narration and what I was seeing didn't

match up . For example , the narrator was talking about the retreat to the Marne but I was seeing scenes from what looked like the 1918

German Spring Offensive .

Just watched the second episode on UKTV play , quite surprised that the year 1918 which was a quite momentous one in the air war only

got five minutes of coverage out of the ninety (2 episodes) .

Edited by Black Maria

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:37, Black Maria said:

Watched the first episode last night and found it interesting in places but too much CGI and bad acting made me lose interest after a while.

It also suffered from the same problem that put me off ' The Great War in Numbers' , namely that the narration and what I was seeing didn't

match up . For example , the narrator was talking about the retreat to the Marne but I was seeing scenes from what looked like the 1918

German Spring Offensive .

Just watched the second episode on UKTV play , quite surprised that the year 1918 which was a quite momentous one in the air war only

got five minutes of coverage out of the ninety (2 episodes) .

Hi

I have now watched the second episode and also found it rather odd that the post April 1917 and the whole of 1918 was only dealt with in the last 15 minutes, a large part not aviation content.  It was if they had run out of money and had to do without an episode 3.  As it was this period that saw the greatest use and impact on the battlefield by aviation it was very disappointing.  The film content used and why some of the 'acted' bits that were used I also found questionable, although it might have provided jobs for out of work 'actors'.  The experts used appeared to be doing a different programme to the film/acted content at times, not their fault of course.  Another 'missed opportunity' to 'educate' the public in the 100th Anniversary years!

Mike