Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Sidney Bury MM

RitchiebytheC

Hi there folks...

Please forgive my ignorance in advance, as this is my first post on the GWF.

I am researching my Great Great Uncle Sidney Bury. He was a Sgt in the Royal Field Artillery and was awarded the MM on the 24/10/17. I have attached copies of his citation, MM and other medals. On the MM it says 113/A BDE: A.C. R.F.A. 

I am struggling to find out where he was in the October of 1917 and any more information surrounding the circumstances regarding the MM.

Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction?

Any help would be most welcome..

Sid MM 1.jpg

Sid MM 2.jpg

Sid MM and other medals.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mr C, I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to help you with your quest. Interesting to see the little rose on the ribbon of the 14/15 star.

Pete.

Why thank you Pete..I wasn't very sure if this was the correct location to post this..

Below is a Medal that was presented to the men of Moffat upon their return from service.

Sid Moffat Medal 1.jpg

Sid Moffat Medal 2.jpg

It's where I would have posted it as it's about Sid's service and where he was when he won the MM. Promising debut if you ask me......

The Star is the 1914 Star. He was originally with 38th Artillery Brigade Royal Field Artillery (part of 6th Division) and served overseas from 12 September 1914. At some point between 1914 and 1917 he switched  Brigades to 113th Brigade, perhaps due to wounds or illness and then re-posting. He later transferred to the Labour Corps at some point (with a new number 613830 - the man with number  613829 transferred on 10-8-1918) after he was awarded the Military Medal.

In broad terms 113th Artillery Brigade was part of 25th Division who were based at Givenchy near the town of Lens from October to November 1917. The War Diary covering the period from February 1917 has not yet been uploaded to the War Diaries available on Ancestry. It is available for download at a cost at the National Archives website (some of our Artillery experts may have a copy of the diary). The diary is here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8b7a83e39373463c8e78ac180f2fda37

Reference:    WO 95/295/3
Description:    Army Troops. 113 Army Field Artillery Brigade
Note:    The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date:    1917 Mar - 1919 Oct
Held by:    The National Archives, Kew
Legal status:    Public Record
Closure status:    Open Document, Open Description

The earlier part of the War Diary (notwithstanding the fact that he transferred between Artillery Brigades at some undefined point) is here (and also available on the Ancestry site):

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353340

Reference:    WO 95/2234/2
Description:    113 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Date:    1915 Sept - 1917 Feb
Held by:    The National Archives, Kew
Legal status:    Public Record(s)
Closure status:    Open Document, Open Description

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Hi,

32 minutes ago, RitchiebytheC said:

On the MM it says 113/A BDE: A.C. R.F.A.

I think that may be short for 113 Army Brigade Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery.

Regards

Chris 

Just to illustrate Steve's impressive post above, the village of Givenchy (en-Gohelle as opposed to Givenchy-lez-les-Bassee) are the houses in the right middle ground of this photo. This is taken from the Canadian Memorial on the Vimy ridge looking just east of north. The western suburbs of Lens are between the village and the slag heaps in the distance. The Loos battlefield is beyond the heaps and the other village called Givenchy is to the north of that battlefield.

Pete.

5aca067a379bd_ViewfromVimytothenorth.thumb.JPG.75c7c2fb35ef4ebb205dcd5d5e93d75f.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hi, reference Sidney Bury. My grandfathers brother was a Sidney Bury who moved up to Moffat or thereabouts I’m Scottish Borders after Great War. I’d be interested in hearing I’d these Sidney’s are one in the same. Regards Phil Bury