Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deutsche Schutzweste WW1

zuluwar2006

9 hours ago, museumtom said:

Its not often someone says that..........

HELLO SIR,

WHEN I AM WRONG, IS EASY TO ACCEPT IT.

THIS WAY EVERY DAY YOU CAN OPEN YOUR MIND!!!!!

AND HERE IS ANOTHER RARE PHOTO, WITH ITALIAN SOLDIERS DURING WW1, WEARING THE FARINA TRENCH ARMOR AND WITH TRENCH SHIELDS...

FARINA ARMOR WITH TRENCH SHIELD.jpg

quite the photo, looks like a medieval re enactment group

are there any incidents reported where the wearing of armor has saved lives or prevented injury??

regards

Bob R. 

7 hours ago, robins2 said:

quite the photo, looks like a medieval re enactment group

are there any incidents reported where the wearing of armor has saved lives or prevented injury??

regards

Bob R. 

Dear Bob,

the photo is original, seek it on pinterest, you will find it.

Is from ww1 front in Italy.

This kind of armour, named FARINA [you can google it also]. 

Very heavy, and uncomfortble, for ARDITI Italian soldiers [somthing like special forces today]. 

BUT in the early time of ww1, all the armys were trying to get a solution on direct injury of soldiers.

So yes, ideed, medieval armours were constructed, as this dictaded the past [medieval].

LOOK AT THE PHOTO WITH THE BRITISH SOLDIER, WITH ARMOUR BODY ON 1914. On 1918, you will NEVER wear it...BUT on 1914, this was a good idea. So, think about solutions when the problem was alive, NOT after 100 years. This is my point of view. 

American testing after the war suggested that it could stop a rifle bullet at 400-500 yards. That would not be very useful in a trench raiding scenario, but for someone like an MG08 gunner under enemy machine gun fire from a distance, that could be enough protection to stop otherwise fatal hits.

Very early on in the war, the German army had various types of body and other armour developed. If you notice, most photos show body armour being worn by sentries. The body and head armour were tried out and found to be too heavy for use in combat. Apart from the weight, there was the added problem of restricted movement.

An armoured shield was then developed. It was designed to be carried into battle. The initial trials convinced most officers that this option was equally ineffective. A decision was taken, however, to use the shield in an attack. There were 50% casualties taken and the attack was a failure. The decision-maker was Hauptmann Rohr's predecessor.

A second type of shield was developed, often referred to as a Grabenshilt. It was smaller and lighter. Although this shield is referred to as a sniper's shield, its main purposes were to provide protection for observation posts in the front line and to protect riflemen during an attack. In the role, it was carried forward and then set up during the consolidation phase of an attack. The weight was not an issue in this context. Even so, this use of armour died out after 1915. This coincided with the greater volumes and calibres of artillery fire, as well as the subsequent introduction of the 'light' machine guns.

ww1 trench armor 1.jpg

main-qimg-06d59e09653a2fc9516050ef0cddc82f-c.jpg

C_pLYRsUwAAfxhd.jpg

4859_900.jpg

Zuluwar2006,

I would like to display some helmets and chestplates that I have.

Edited by fatchilla

On 31/05/2018 at 13:52, museumtom said:

HERE ARE SOME STIRNPANZERS FROM MY COLLECTION. 

2 OF THEM WITH MARKINGS FROM THE INSIDE [INTERIOR]

2 ARE BOUGHT FROM FRANCE, 1 FROM GERMANY, 1 FROM BELGIUM

REGARDS, D.

20180601_165353[1].jpg

20180601_165103[1].jpg

20180601_165110[1].jpg

20180601_165201[1].jpg

20180601_165214[1].jpg

20180601_165403[1].jpg

20180601_165443[1].jpg

54 minutes ago, fatchilla said:

Zuluwar2006,

I would like to display some helmets and chestplates that I have.

HELLO DEAR FRIEND COLLECTOR

PLEASE, SEND SOME PHPTOS

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE SAME PASSION AS WE DO!!!!

REGARDS, D.

ABOUT TRENCH SHIELDS.

HERE IS A FRENCH TRENCH SHIELD.

This protect which we rarely hear about weighs about ten pounds. With a size of 53cm by 40, it is made of cast iron and is fixed to the forearm of the wearer using riveted leather straps attached to the shield by bridges. The soldier, being equipped, had to keep him at the level of his face and his torso in order to deflect the different projectiles intended for him.
One can easily imagine that, like the other bullet-proofs, this assault shield could be used while lying down; thus resembling for the soldier as an individual shield of parapet.

TRENCH SHIELD 3.jpg

TRENCH SHIELD 4.jpg

How many stirnpanzers do you have in your collection? I would like to see more of your collection!

Edited by fatchilla

1 minute ago, fatchilla said:

How many stirnpanzers do you have in your collection?

HELLO, I HAVE 4,

AS WELL AND GRABENPANZERS,

REGARDS, D.

AND SOME PHOTOS FROM THE BOOK STORM TROOPERS, ABOUT THE USE OF TRENCH SHIELD DURING WW1

REGARDS, D.

TRENCH SHIELD 5.jpg

image.png.b0b793d0f7feaf45465482508bd010b9.png

photo from Military Museum Calgary, Canada

regards

Bob R.

image.png.222225e9ea0c037722b09cc2686f6d78.png

another type from museum

54 minutes ago, robins2 said:

image.png.b0b793d0f7feaf45465482508bd010b9.png

photo from Military Museum Calgary, Canada

regards

Bob R.

EXCELLENT PHOTO BOB

I THINK WE HAVE ENOUGHT MATERIAL FOR THIS SPECIFIC VARY RARE WW1 TRENCH ARMOR.

IT WILL BE NICE TO HEAR AND FROM OTHER COLLECTORS IF THEY HAVE ANYTHING ON THIS TO SEND.

REGARDS, D.

MORE PHOTOS FROM TRENCH CLUBS WW1

REGARDS, D.

TRENCH CLUB 11.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 12.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 13.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 14.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 15.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 16.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 18.jpg

TRENCH CLUB 17.jpg

AND SOME PHOTOS FROM WW1 GERMAN SOLDIERS WITH GRABENKEULE [TRENCH CLUBS]

GRABENKEULE 2017.jpg

GRABENKEULE 2017-1.jpg

GRABENKEULE-22.jpg

grabenkeule-10.jpg

grabenkeule15.jpg

DISPLAYING GRABENPANZERS

GRABENPANZER 11.jpg

GRABENPANZER 3.jpg

IMG_0279.JPG.603bba4657c3990ccf7e298bf7e6c250.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG.82087b54d414bfb9138e87dab863d48c.JPG

some more from private collection Calgary museum

• 3 weeks later...

MY LATEST FINDING

AN EXTREMELY RARE ELEPHANT WW1 SNIPER GERMAN MASK

ONLY 1500 MADE DURING THE WW1.

AN EXTREMELY RARE ITEM...

AT LAST, AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF SEEKING, IT IS MINE.

AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY ORIGINAL

REGARDS, D.

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-0-2048_10.10-644-0.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-thumb-4-130-86.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-3-720-532.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-2-720-319.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-7-720-708.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-5-720-370.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-6-720-70.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-4-720-86.jpg

WW1-German-Sniper-Elephant-Mask-full-7-720-708.jpg

In U.S. We see the Steel front plate for Helmets , Sniper plates and the Steel or iron (feels very heavy) Breast plates at lease a few times a year. If anyone interested,I have a friend who has HUGE amounts of militaria. Usually has something in the Personal Armor.

Just ask me item, I ask him- Just remember if you live across the pond, the Shipping / weight would be high on some stuff

Looks like the Elephant man from the movie!  Run Run, it's a Monster!😆

An original German “Sappenpanzer Gesichtsmaske” armoured faceplate as issued to snipers and machine-gunners in static positions on the Western Front, by far the rarest of all pieces of German trench-armour. A very heavy item made of hardened-steel and strapped to the head by a cage, it was developed in response to the high number of facial-injuries suffered by snipers and machine-gunners in the trenches during the First World War. Due to its weight it could only be used by personnel in fixed positions but would protect the face and head from rifle-rounds and shrapnel shards at all but point-blank range.

Original examples are extremely scarce since they were only manufactured in very small quantities in the last year of the war. The head-cage is missing but the plate is otherwise complete.

These masks had been designed by German surgeon August Bier who had treated many snipers who had their jaws, and other parts of their faces shot off when they took aim over the top of the trenches. He wanted to protect their heads but the masks were so heavy that they could only be worn when the sniper took his position. Apparently, they were made of half-inch Krupp steel.

The 'missing' piece was to accommodate the sniper's rifle lying along his right shoulder.

Only 1500 of them are known to have been made, and only in 1915.

My own guess is that they were simply too unwieldy to use and were not popular.

P.S. THEY SAID, SPIELBERG, BASED THE DARTH VADER FROM A PHOTOGRAPH SHOWING A GERMAN WW1 SOLDIER WEARING THIS SNIPER MASK.

WW1 SNIPER 2.jpg

WW1 SNIPER 4.jpg

WW1.jpg

I’m not a fan of helmet either I’m afraid. That kind of pitting indicates to me a re painted relic. The pitting and paint don’t match and I don’t like the MG badge. To have original cover, cammo and MG badge too good to be true. Now this is my opinion only and you can chose to ignore. I base this on my experience. I would not have bought it and the cover is not for me. Sorry but I feel that it’s important to point out potential hazards to others. 

HELLO TRENCHTROTTER

THANK YOU FOR THIS POINT OF VIEW.

I HAD MY REASONABLE DOUBTS ABOUT, BUT AS I GOT THEM BOTH FROM A UK VERY FAMOUS AUCTION HOUSE AND THEY CERTIFY TO BE TRUE, I ACCEPT THAT.

I CAN SEND YOU THE EMAIL AND THE SUPERVISOR OF THE AUCTION HOUSE IF YOU WANT TO SEND HIM YOUR OPINIONS.

FOR 1300 UK STERLINGS, IS GOOD AND TRUE ANYWAY

REGARDS, D.

On 30/05/2018 at 22:24, Jools mckenna said:

Quite heavy pitting for a non-relic helmet.

I’m afraid I agree. Indicates to me paint over pitting. 

1 minute ago, trenchtrotter said:

I’m afraid I agree. Indicates to me paint over pitting. 

MY FRIENDS,

IF I AM A VICTIM OF A FRAUD, THEN I WILL NEED YOUR EXACT AND PRECISE OPINION ABOUT, BEFORE I START SOMETHING WITH THE AUCTION HOUSE.

REGARDS, D.