Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 GERMAN BAYONETS FROM MY COLLECTION

zuluwar2006

Dear zuluwar2006, absoluetly correct - I was sure you have one :D 

Mine was found with two other of this very rare bayonets in Austria near the border to Italy. Probably a German unit was stationed here to reinforced the Austrians.

Best regards

BB

Dear fellow collectors, 

Today we have more than 20.000 visits on this topic. 

Today also I have my birthdays, so an excellent present to me, thank you. 

I am posting my ersatz matching unit marked EB 53 bayonet. 

This extremely scarce bayonet was made at the Artillery Depot at Altona. 

The cast steel hilt was made in two halves, secured together by two flush ground rivets. 

The broad guard was fitted over the end of the hilt. 

The blade tang is enclosed by the hilt close to the guard. 

Two types of muzzle rings were made, the double diameter version and a single diameter produced only for the Gewehr 98.

This ersatz bayonet has only 4 unit marked examples recorded, I am presenting you the one. 

This unit marking is recorded on Carter's ersatz book, on page 121. 

R.75.3.R.K.94

75th Infantry Regiment Bremen (1st Hanseatic), 3 Rekruten Kompagnie, number of weapon 94.

The unit marking is carefully stamped and on the iron scabbard and is matching. 

The ARMOURER on this Regiment  must have been an extremely conscientious man. 

As I have allready say and before, only 0,5% (1/200) ersatz bayonets are unit marked. 

Regards

D. 

DSC04645-600x600.jpeg

DSC04643-600x600.jpeg

DSC04644-600x600.jpeg

DSC04650-600x600.jpeg

DSC04647-600x600.jpeg

20200427_204503_362.jpeg

Happy birthday to you!!

All my best wishes and always a good luck to find bayonets like this! Congratulations its sensationel

Regards

BB

5 minutes ago, bickus61 said:

Happy birthday to you!!

All my best wishes and always a good luck to find bayonets like this! Congratulations its sensationel

Regards

BB

:)

Happy Birthday Dimitrios, many interesting bayonets.

About gramatical explanation of DRGM i would be not certain as mentioned on german page and visible sign original. "Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster"

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebrauchsmuster

The explanation is not so important, but i found some DRGM marked crossguard on imperial KS98 dress bayonets and various other commerzial production, possible they were used in 1914 army purchase, but the configuration was saled already in early 20century with older Gew71 obsolete rifles.

Edited by AndyBsk

I bet if Herman Goering carved his name in a bayonet when he flew in the Great War, You would find it

10 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

I bet if Herman Goering carved his name in a bayonet when he flew in the Great War, You would find it

:D

Ι wish it, my dear Steve!!!! 

I was waiting to see when you would hit the 20,000 visitor, think that is a GWF record!! My biggest was about 570 I think. 

It is all the vast number of rare bayonets and units, sometimes both in one that keeps our curiosity up to keep coming back!

Have a wonderful birthday🍷🍺🍺🍸😜🤪😊

Hello friends.

Today I present to you a plain Seitengewehr 84/98. 

Manufacturer is the firm  J.A.Henckels Zwillingswerk Solingen (with the logo of twins). 

The date is  W16

Unit marking on the crossguard (Truppenstempel) Flz.978

An extremely rare unit marking with less than 5 recorded examples I believe. 

The suggestions for this unit marking are Feld Lazaret Zug, and Flak Zug. 

My opinion is for the second. 

Roy Williams and Jeff Knoll, have both listed the FLZ mark in their books.

This is an original WW1 unit mark, for Flak zug interpretation, meaning a train-based flak unit. 

Unfortunately the steel flashguard is lost (broke probably). 

Regards

D. 

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

On one german forum tend to other explanation of this stamp, because the numbers goes to higher numbers 6xxx-, so no real for Flakzug, possible some other inventory stamp, Feld L. Zeugdepot or Fiegertruppen Zeugamt as similar were marked on board chronographs.the lack of smaller unit inside as company or battalions confirms most real bayonet refurbished inside of FLZ system.

On clocks there are ,"Eigentum der Fliegertruppen".which is ownership declaration,and Zeugamt means a place to obtain or refurbish equipment.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-lenovo&q=fliegertruppen+zeugamt&tbm=isch&chips=q:fliegertruppen+zeugamt,online_chips:borduhr+chronometer&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS94ykxJ3pAhXhAWMBHXXwAsQQgIoDKAB6BAgIEAY&biw=360&bih=559&dpr=2#imgrc=W_mq1GtRlsUNuM

Edited by AndyBsk

Roy Williams, has catalogue the FLZ unit marking as Flak Zug, a war time unit marking, on his book about Ersatz bayonets. 

Regards

D. 

Hello Dimitrios, question about the older presented Mannlicher bayonet for unknown rifle with 4EMG III unit marking, have You already got it and could be measured the inner Muzzle ring diameter? thanks. 

35 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Hello Dimitrios, question about the older presented Mannlicher bayonet for unknown rifle with 4EMG III unit marking, have You already got it and could be measured the inner Muzzle ring diameter? thanks. 

No, still coronavirus has delayed all schedules. 

On 03/05/2020 at 18:58, zuluwar2006 said:

Dear fellow collectors, 

Today we have more than 20.000 visits on this topic. 

Today also I have my birthdays, so an excellent present to me, thank you. 

I am posting my ersatz matching unit marked EB 53 bayonet. 

This extremely scarce bayonet was made at the Artillery Depot at Altona. 

R.75.3.R.K.94

75th Infantry Regiment Bremen (1st Hanseatic), 3 Rekruten Kompagnie, number of weapon 94.

The unit marking is carefully stamped and on the iron scabbard and is matching. 

Hi D! Sorry to have missed the birthday and the post celebrations! I'll happily settle for a retsina, as that takes me back to ancient Greece, although perhaps a Metaxa is in order, the brandy for Spartans such as yourself?!! As it is I was celebrating a birthday on Saturday, 2nd May - not mine, but the birth of grandchildren! Twins, at that!

Back on topic... And what a lovely bayonet! I have been very tied up with university matters to follow closely all the developments on your thread as you are always posting such lovely examples... And always interesting unit marks also... One day I will get around to up dating my listing - not been added to since 2017, when I had reached 4000+, so all of yours will fill out the numbers!

Julian

On 05/05/2020 at 20:13, zuluwar2006 said:

Hello friends.

Flz.978

On 05/05/2020 at 21:12, AndyBsk said:

On one german forum tend to other explanation of this stamp, because the numbers goes to higher numbers 6xxx-, so no real for Flakzug, possible some other inventory stamp, Feld L. Zeugdepot or Fiegertruppen Zeugamt as similar were marked on board chronographs.the lack of smaller unit inside as company or battalions confirms most real bayonet refurbished inside of FLZ system.

On clocks there are ,"Eigentum der Fliegertruppen".which is ownership declaration,and Zeugamt means a place to obtain or refurbish equipment.

On 06/05/2020 at 11:41, zuluwar2006 said:

Roy Williams, has catalogue the FLZ unit marking as Flak Zug, a war time unit marking, on his book about Ersatz bayonets. 

Nice one Dimitriuos!

See my 'FLZ.1036' for - I believe - 'Flakzug' - also on a Haenkels! Posted at: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/207144-any-comments-on-this-german-marking/

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Hi D! Sorry to have missed the birthday and the post celebrations! I'll happily settle for a retsina, as that takes me back to ancient Greece, although perhaps a Metaxa is in order, the brandy for Spartans such as yourself?!! As it is I was celebrating a birthday on Saturday, 2nd May - not mine, but the birth of grandchildren! Twins, at that!

Back on topic... And what a lovely bayonet! I have been very tied up with university matters to follow closely all the developments on your thread as you are always posting such lovely examples... And always interesting unit marks also... One day I will get around to up dating my listing - not been added to since 2017, when I had reached 4000+, so all of yours will fill out the numbers!

Julian

Dear Julian, Grandchildren??? 

But still so young and enthusiastic from every aspect, it is a privilege for me to meet you!!! 

Thank you for the wishes, health to all collectors in here, the families and friends, and whole world. 

Metaxa is the correct aperitif, under the circumstances we are living. 

You have to start a catalogue for unit markings, with so much knowledge. 

It has not to be in a book, but on this site, at a specific topic.

I believe any collector and history friend, will love it. 

About Flz unit marking, I read your observations, I think you are correct. 

All the best

D. 

Flak-Zug is unreal from various points,but as mentioned,there could be always different opinions.

In my service army  years i was commander of Flak platoon,the Flak units never reached strenght of infantry or normal foot artillery to sample,there is possibility max strenght to 300-500 soldiers,but there exist confirmed numbers over 2000 Flz marking, and even higher,

-other point is the z is small font, in reality there is  Flz

-third point the Flak-Zug were numbered, see wiki Flak-Zug 119,120, 133,136 and others

-and inside similar unit should be divided to abteilung or batteries.There are german experts that mentioned this long ago, its not by me researched.

-lastly numbers over 1000 are most real inventory numbers, not unit account numbers

Have stored picture of Flz 1846, in 30 years of collecting  were reported higher numbers, but i am not focused on german WW1 so not stored out.

Flak is already a shortage of Flugzeug Abwehr Kanone.

Edited by AndyBsk

Hello everyone, every few years I do an internet search on the stampings on my grandfather's bayonet that I inherited about 40 years ago. In those past attempts I never gained any insight. The bayonet is a german k98/05 new style, the blade has the large "W" over a "16", and is made by Carl Eickhorn in Solingen. Looking through this forum it seems some members really know exactly what these stamped letters and numbers represent, and I have picked up a litlle insight from looking at examples and reading comments. The markings on the sheath are what I am interesed in.

It is stamped:  

2.E.B.J.R.25

R.  D.132

Thanks for any assistance, Jim!

20200512_001548.jpg

20200512_001425.jpg

Edited by Guest

There could be probably 2 explanation, in case of normal IR25, its possible 2.Ersatz.battalion des Infanterie Regiments Nr.25, Rekruten Depot waffe nr.132

in case the B is for Bayern. it could be 2.Ersatz company of Bavarian Infanterie Regiment Nr.25, Rekruten Depot waffe nr.132. 

Question is how were changed both units in war mainly in period 1916.

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_25

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/KB_IR_25

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo,

After reading posts about my "Romanian ersatz" I allow myself to publish data and photos.
The sign is not sure. Fliger Abteilung is in Noll's book, but I saw many signs that did not necessarily mean what we were thinking. In the conditions of war and lack of knowledge about the regulations, the lack of the correct font, maybe feldhaubizen, fernsprech, festung etc. I tend to pilots (they didn't wear bayonets :-) but rather airport service, but who knows ...
The MRD diameter is 17.4mm.
Producer Österreichischen Waffenfabriks-Gesellschaft (ÖWG)
The four-digit number above 2000 (is it continuous production numbering, compliance of the rifle number with the bayonet)
Number font identical in all bayonets in this post, which indicates one order.

Best regards Rafal

P1250200.JPG

P1250201.JPG

P1250202.JPG

P1250203.JPG

P1250204.JPG

Nice one Export bayonet for Gew71/88 type,the serialing could be og same string,but could be separate too.Flieger Abteilung could be real,even there is a gap between A and nr.3.the paint on scabbard is probably not period,anyway a nice piece.

I just wanted to provide information about my bayonet published by Mery books. Black rubbish paint is not disputable because it is rubbish

• 3 months later...

Dear friends, 

I am good in my health, after an important accident I suffer, 

Thank you all for your messages,

I am sorry I could not answer, but I was unable to do anything. 

Now I am better. 

Last days i had time to search my collection and found some more bayonets I had forgot I have!!! 

After the accident, I believe my brain is working better😃

I will be back soon

All the best to all (and covid free) 

D. 

Dimitrios,

Good to see you back, look forward to more bayonets!

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH