Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

zuluwar2006

WW1 GERMAN BAYONETS FROM MY COLLECTION

Steve1871

I was told Jeff Nolls book needs rework, jumps around,I in a truck most of time. Long way from home. I have the old Noll book somewhere in storage. Just not room to have a bunch of book's

That said. You put a lot more history in your post than Noll ever said.  There some kind of book on all 251 divisions . Do not know the name of book. Is that where you got that long history?????

Kind of hard th think of unit marked 98/05 as VERY SCARCE when you display a ton of them from your wonderful collection

trajan
On 14/08/2019 at 11:29, zuluwar2006 said:

... .

2nd ersatz Bataillon of the 55 infanterie Regiment, 2nd Company, number of soldier 290....  It seemed that  armourers on this Infantry Regiment were extremely precautious... 

IMG_20190813_193949.jpg

Interesting use of 'K' for Kompagnie in all of those ones D.! And a nice selection also!!!

trajan
On 16/08/2019 at 17:44, Steve1871 said:

I was told Jeff Nolls book needs rework, jumps around,I in a truck most of time. Long way from home. I have the old Noll book somewhere in storage. Just not room to have a bunch of book's

That said. You put a lot more history in your post than Noll ever said.  There some kind of book on all 251 divisions . Do not know the name of book. Is that where you got that long history?????

Kind of hard th think of unit marked 98/05 as VERY SCARCE when you display a ton of them from your wonderful collection

That is my understanding also about Jeff Noll's book. nd I know what you mean about jumping around and small space - even though I live in a flat! But I bet my working space aint much bigger than your cab???!!!

Anyway, Jeff Noll does focus mainly on Luger markings, and in the second edition he records some 1,673 marks on all types of weapons but mainly Lugers and pistols. Now, I don't want to boast but my own unit-listing of unit-marked weapons of all kinds as of 28.01.2017 has 4,264 entries, and there have been a host presented here since then thanks to you and Dimitrios.... But, I simply have had no time to update it nor to give it the proper analysis it deserves... I'd like it to issue it in book form but (A), need time to get it up to date, and (B), find a willing publisher, as just for a start I would want to include all the available official documents on marking systems...:(

Julian

Steve1871

I would want an Autographed copy of your Imperial German marking's !!!

trajan

IF I ever complete it, you shall!

Trajan

zuluwar2006

Dear Julian and Steve,

alternative you an buy the ersatz bayonets book of late Roy Williams.

At the end of this book, a precise catalogue of unit markings exists.

Regards

D.

Steve1871

Thank's D'. Will have to track down a copy and keep it in the truck

trajan
7 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

... At the end of this book, a precise catalogue of unit markings exists.

Indeed, Roy's volume II does give a useful account. But having studied and collected unit markings for some 5-7 years now I have seen that there are so many variations and exceptions to the 'rule', and Roy's listing only covers the most straightforward marks. The thing is that there were some 13 or so official directives of weapons markings issued between 1871 and 1914, each introducing new variations and dispensing with older ones. Then there is the problem of knowing unit organisation and weaponry to fully understand a mark of any given date. E.g., an "L" can be Luftschiffer or Landwehr - OKthe first unit, would not (normally!) be armed with S.98's, but both could use Ersatz... I certainly do not claim to be the expert on these things, but I have often had reason to thank Andy the Prussian and Grey C for correcting my own readings. 

Now, how Jeff Noll's work could be improved, and what I would do, would be to include facsimiles of all the relevant instructions just for a start. So to help interpret a unit-marked S. or Gew.98 dated to 1903 according to the correct document. Then to list reported unit markings by unit, with a unit history 1871-1914 provided - Jeff Noll's listing is, as Steve pointed out, not straightforward to use. And so on... 

It would be a major task in one way, straightforward in another.

Steve1871

Julian, you would be the Best to do that book, BUT you have such a buisy life , with to young kid's to raise , your teaching, and trying to stay one step ahead of your student's, and your favorite passion of Archaeology and the Roman life, a person can only do so much

trajan
On 20/08/2019 at 19:50, Steve1871 said:

Julian, you would be the Best to do that book, BUT you have such a buisy life , with to young kid's to raise , your teaching, and trying to stay one step ahead of your student's, and your favorite passion of Archaeology and the Roman life, a person can only do so much

Too true about the busy life! I am five years past thee official UK retirement age, but need to kep going - for school fees especially! I don't know if I am the best person to do a small arms marking book / guide, but I could certainly produce something up to Noll's standard, and beyond when numbers are concerned...

Julian

seitengewehr69

hallo i send fotos from the trail bajonet are you interested whit greetings