Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

zuluwar2006

WW1 GERMAN BAYONETS FROM MY COLLECTION

Recommended Posts

zuluwar2006
16 hours ago, trajan said:

 

I read the Original Post too fast and this one came back to me... What is this 'first-use' marking? It is on the left side, so should be first unit it was used by... Very badly struck out, but there is a 'K' and what looks to be an 'S' there...

unfortunately there is NO way to get any better photo than this. the unit markings are erased with xxx and sss markings.

D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
1 hour ago, zuluwar2006 said:

unfortunately there is NO way to get any better photo than this. the unit markings are erased with xxx and sss markings.

D.

 

Not seen those 'S' markings used before - learn something new everyday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
On 05/08/2018 at 20:38, zuluwar2006 said:

very few S 98/05 bayonets have been recorded with markings of the imperial navy [kaiserliche marine] mainly because the navy preffered the S 98 used by the infantry. On a very few S 98, dated 1906 - 1907, a crowned M above the date was used, in place of a royal cypher, but no similarly marked S 98/05 has been located.

A single 98/05 is known, which has an M below a simplified imperial krown [kaiserkrone], in place of both cypher and date.

HERE IS A VERY NICE EXAMPLE OF A NAVAL MARKED 84/98 BAYONET [NOT MINE].

A VERY RARE MARKING, WHICH WHEN YOU SEE IT, YOU BUY IT ASAP.

REARDS, D.

 

MARINE 84 98 BAYO.jpg

MARINE 84 98 BAYO 1.jpg

MARINE 84 98 BAYO 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
On 05/08/2018 at 20:38, zuluwar2006 said:

 

 

A VERY RARE SEEN UNIT MARKING ON A aA 98/05 PLAIN BAYONET.

16.L.J.E.B.

LANDEWHR 16TH INFANTERIE REGIMENT ERSATZ BATAILLON

A WAR TIME UNIT MARKING 

7146863.423666979.jpg

7146863.1382713632.jpg

7146863.99483689.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
On 16/10/2018 at 21:27, zuluwar2006 said:

HERE IS A VERY NICE EXAMPLE OF A NAVAL MARKED 84/98 BAYONET [NOT MINE].

A VERY RARE MARKING, WHICH WHEN YOU SEE IT, YOU BUY IT ASAP.

REARDS, D.

 

MARINE 84 98 BAYO.jpg

 

That's certainly an interesting one - any thoughts on the 'A.R.'? Could be a Feld-Artillerie Rekruten Depot - but I would have expected a number in front where the 'M' stamp is...

Edited by trajan
amplify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
21 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

 

A VERY RARE SEEN UNIT MARKING ON A aA 98/05 PLAIN BAYONET.

16.L.J.E.B.

LANDEWHR 16TH INFANTERIE REGIMENT ERSATZ BATAILLON

A WAR TIME UNIT MARKING 

 

 

7146863.99483689.jpg

 

Interesting one that does not conform to the Regulations... That is to say, the 'J' - a standard mark for this unit would be - I think - something like, "16.L.E.B.293". What date is the bayonet?

 

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
14 hours ago, trajan said:

 

That's certainly an interesting one - any thoughts on the 'A.R.'? Could be a Feld-Artillerie Rekruten Depot - but I would have expected a number in front where the 'M' stamp is...

Julian

the markins is for Ersatz Batterie, Feld Artillery Regiment, Rekruten Depot n. 142. 

This unit fight on Somme and Arras.

Regards, D.

14 hours ago, trajan said:

 

Interesting one that does not conform to the Regulations... That is to say, the 'J' - a standard mark for this unit would be - I think - something like, "16.L.E.B.293". What date is the bayonet?

 

Julian

julian, is 1915.

regards, D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
5 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Julian

the markins is for Ersatz Batterie, Feld Artillery Regiment, Rekruten Depot n. 142. 

This unit fight on Somme and Arras.

 

I wonder why they didn't put the number of the regiment there? Usual practice would be a mark something like - "16.A.R.142"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
19 hours ago, trajan said:

 

I wonder why they didn't put the number of the regiment there? Usual practice would be a mark something like - "16.A.R.142"...

Julian during war, and at the front line, it was difficult if no impossible to follow exactly the army regulations for unit markings. So armourers were usually mark the bayonets with different ways and not according the regulations.

I hope you like my new bayonets posted. Those were my last bayonets so my collection is all shown in here. 

Regards, D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
5 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Julian during war, and at the front line, it was difficult if no impossible to follow exactly the army regulations for unit markings. So armourers were usually mark the bayonets with different ways and not according the regulations.

I hope you like my new bayonets posted. Those were my last bayonets so my collection is all shown in here. 

Regards, D. 

 

Yes, I can understand and accept that regulations on marking systems not always followed in war-time - but in fact there should not be any war-time markings at all! The 1909 regulations and its predecessors all stated that unit markings were to be applied for weapons in regular service use (i.e., guard duty, etc.) in peacetime only... In fact, there was a reminder issued about this in 1915 or 1916 - I'll try to find it for you - and so in theory nothing made and issued after August 1914 should have any form of unit marking! 

 

That aside, thank you so very much for showing us your extra-ordinary collection of German Imperial bayonets! So many unusual and well as the common ones there, and an exceptionally wide range of markings on them! It would be nice to see them in the flesh one day!

 

Best,

 

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
On 19/09/2018 at 08:07, zuluwar2006 said:

an aA sawback 98/05 bayonet

manufacturer V.Schilling and Suhl

date = 1914

unit markings same with the leather scabbard

3.M.P.K.46

for Marine Pioneer Kompagnie

a very rare matching set.

The Marines unit markings are extremely rare.

sawback 001.JPG

sawback 002.JPG

sawback 003.JPG

sawback 004.JPG

sawback 007.JPG

sawback 008.JPG

sawback 009.JPG

sawback 010.JPG

sawback 012.JPG

Here are some interesting photos from Ww1 imperial german marine korp, very rare to see them, from my Ww1 books. 

IMG_20181020_161035.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
3 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Here are some interesting photos from Ww1 imperial german marine korp, very rare to see them, from my Ww1 books. 

IMG_20181020_161035.jpg

 

IMG_20181020_161935.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

A very very rare 84)98 bayonet saw back with flash guard. 

On the pommel you can see clearly the word WURRTBG, which means the state of Wittenberg. 

Unit marking is 1.F.19.71

manufacturer is Gottlieb Hammersfahr Solingen Foche

You can see the Adler marking for Wittenberg aside the imperial stamps. 

An extremely rare Wittenberg marked bayonet, unique until today. And never seen before. 

15400408049773811045484483953918.jpg

15400408625618099064346719273822.jpg

15400408793782130796027567620900.jpg

15400408971096974834914594671072.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
15 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

A very very rare 84)98 bayonet saw back with flash guard. 

On the pommel you can see clearly the word WURRTBG, which means the state of Wittenberg. 

Unit marking is 1.F.19.71

manufacturer is Gottlieb Hammersfahr Solingen Foche

You can see the Adler marking for Wittenberg aside the imperial stamps. 

An extremely rare Wittenberg marked bayonet, unique until today. And never seen before. 

15400408971096974834914594671072.jpg

 

Another nice and unusual piece there! But surely WERTTBG for "Wuerttemburg" = with the Wuerttemburg' stags antler?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
1 hour ago, trajan said:

 

Another nice and unusual piece there! But surely WERTTBG for "Wuerttemburg" = with the Wuerttemburg' stags antler?  

Julian yes, you can see the antler clearly next to the double inspection stamping. 

And the word is WURRTBG. So for sure WUERTTEMBURG. 

Julian I forgot to thank you for the nice eords. 

Yes. Come and see them in flesh whenever you like. My door is open for you and Steve whenever you want to visit me absolutely!!!! 

Regards, D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

After a long period of been without activity cause business problems I am back. 

Here are some more precise photos from the last bayonet I made the posting. 

Indeed a unique bayonet, never recorded before. 

Regards

D. 

IMG_20181207_165002.jpg

IMG_20181207_165025.jpg

IMG_20181207_165034.jpg

IMG_20181207_165431.jpg

IMG_20181207_165515.jpg

IMG_20181207_164944.jpg

IMG_20181207_164822.jpg

IMG_20181207_164617.jpg

IMG_20181207_165018.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

For comparison reasons some photos with similar very rare markings (those are from ersatz gras bayonets) 

IMG_20181207_173700.jpg

IMG_20181207_174238.jpg

IMG_20181207_174305.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

An extremely rare 98)05 sawback nA bayonet with flash guard with matching unit markings on cross guard and on steel scabbard

Date is 1916.

Third Machinengewehr Abteilung = 3.M.G.A

A very rare matching unit marked, war time bayonet.

Double manufacturer. 

ERFURT and STAHLBLUME

I bought it from the widow of a collector recently. 

Regards, D. 

 

IMG_20181207_174524.jpg

IMG_20181207_174532.jpg

IMG_20181207_174547.jpg

IMG_20181207_174552.jpg

IMG_20181207_174558.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

AN ETREMELY RARE EB 64 ERSATZ BAYONET

CONVERSION OF A BELGIAN MODELE 1870

TWO PIECE CAST STEEL HILT WITH A ROUND OIL HOLE AND SEVEN  DIAGONAL GROOVES

THE BACK OF THE HILT MARKED A.D.ALTONA

THE STEEL CROSSGUARD WITH A SINGLE DIAMETER OPEN TYPE MUZZLE RING.

SINGLE EDGE STEEL YATAGAN BLADE WITH WIDE FULLERS.

BACK EDGE OF THE BLADE WITH A GERMAN CROWN A ACCEPTANCE STAMP CLOSE TO THE CROSSGUARD.

ALTONA 1.jpg

ALTONA 2.jpg

ALTONA 3.jpg

ALTONA 4.jpg

ALTONA 5.jpg

ALTONA 6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan

Always nice to see these ones from your collection!  I'll have to check my files when I get home but I don't think I have come across a 98/05 marked to a MGA before...

 

By the way, have you ever come across that V.V.V.Voronova book - Ukraine or Russian - on "Bayonets Of Germany. Pfm71/98, S98/02, S98/05"? I have been trying to track down a copy but have never been able to find a publisher of other details of where to get it it!

 

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006

Julian

142867779163

Ebay. Co. Uk

 

s-l400.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
14 hours ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Julian

142867779163

Ebay. Co. Uk

 

s-l400.jpg

 

MANY MANY THANKS! That's my christmas present sorted out from my wife - I'll tell her when it arrives!

 

Julian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zuluwar2006
3 hours ago, trajan said:

 

MANY MANY THANKS! That's my christmas present sorted out from my wife - I'll tell her when it arrives!

 

Julian

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×