Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

07' Hookie

Steve1871

Sorry most of pictures did not come out.Hope you like,a real beaut',not sure of Cameroon troops or anything

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

4 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Sorry most of pictures did not come out.Hope you like,a real beaut',not sure of Cameroon troops or anything

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

Nice one Steve,

Pommel markings are Cameron Highlanders, Reserve with a rack or weapon number of 590.

curious to see the other side of the blade that shows date of production, and are there any markings on the scabbard?

Dave.

This is getting interesting... For years bayonets with 'Reserve' markings were, shall we say, rarities on GWF'? Now they seem to be coming like the proverbial London Hackney Carriages on the No. 7 route - and HQ's at that!

I sorry , no have pic's of reverse side. Rare for me go "Home" as a trucker in U.S., was only few days,spent 2 full days trying photo my collection on the bayonets. Sadly, was big failure. Too dark inside, flash no work. Outside too bright. Pics were fuzzy/washed out . Photos I kept were from my cell phone as last resort. Outside, I could not even see screen. Will be several months before go home again.

When I do. Hope have a camera with macro capable.

Still salvaged 60 odd pics out of 300+ 

Thanks for trying.  I do appreciate / understand the effort involved and disappointment when the results are inadequate.

Regards

Ross

On the plus side, like our old mate Sawdocs (where ARE you mate?) the travelling around job does seem to bring to you lots of nice new and very interesting babies to love, cherish, and make us all here salivate!

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

Pics of the bayonet I found from seller

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think the black-painted locket was a WW2 thing - but I'll be corrected soon if wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking early piece.  The scabbard originally would have been a Mark 1 with an internal chape.  On the Mk2 scabbard of the period the rivets securing the mouthpiece spring would have been finished flush.  There is hope therefore because many of the early Mk 2 scabbards  were made by Remington, dated 1915 and should be possible to find in the U.S.A.  The most common source are the Patt. '14 bayonets which used these scabbards and which were mostly used by the British Home Guard and are therefore not regarded as so desirable.  (Probably attract attention from the owners of the P.14 for saying that!     Cheers - SW

39 minutes ago, calibre792x57.y said:

The most common source are the Patt. '14 bayonets which used these scabbards and which were mostly used by the British Home Guard and are therefore not regarded as so desirable.  (Probably attract attention from the owners of the P.14 for saying that!     Cheers - SW

You are right SW -- What are these "Patt. '14 bayonets" of which you speak ? :lol:

My Pattern '14 Rifles all sport Pattern '13 bayonets!:ph34r:

Chris

Since writing is a means of communication and you are obviously aware which pattern I was indicating I guess I got there, nontheless!!  Apologies for  an absence of mind. -  I had intended to print ' the bayonet for P.1914 rifle ' .  - SW

Edited by calibre792x57.y
Clarity

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/05/2018 at 16:44, trajan said:

I think the black-painted locket was a WW2 thing - but I'll be corrected soon if wrong!

Not yet then?!

Back to the ricasso markings - the Sanderson 1908' and - I think - 1909's both used this 'odd' font for the year date... I uselessly wonder why?

22 minutes ago, trajan said:

Not yet then?!

Back to the ricasso markings - the Sanderson 1908' and - I think - 1909's both used this 'odd' font for the year date... I uselessly wonder why?

I think you're right with regard the ww2 period painting, I have a Canadian 07 that had a pommel repair and was drenched in the stuff.

Hadnt noticed the difference in date stamps before...many thanks, I'll keep an eye out now.

Dave.