Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Brady, Cheshire Regiment

Mark Crame

Hi all

I've just started researching a couple of men whose war graves lie nearby in the churchyard at Covehithe in Suffolk and was wondering if any of you might be able to help me by adding any further details you might be able to find on them. I've done the CWGC/MIC (listing)/Google bit so far and come up with the following base to work from but know there is a lot more info out there than I have access to currently. The reason for this particular research being that my employer (a homeless charity) is looking to assist in maintaining some local war graves as a wellbeing activity for some of those we help and I've volunteered to take the lead with researching the men who lie beneath the headstones as this is my own particular passion; Covehithe churchyard was an example suggested to us and has become my starting point. Later, subject to funding, subscription to the various online paid resources should hopefully be forthcoming if the project gets a greenlight so I've decided to start with these two men in advance to strengthen our case while relying on the goodwill of members of this forum.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give, it will be appreciated by more than just myself!

regards

Mark

Private BRADY, A

Service Number 292925

Died 17/08/1917

Aged 30

7th Bn.

Cheshire Regiment

Son of John James and Mary Ann Brady, of 81, Clavell Rd., Springwood, Allerton, Liverpool.

Medal card of Brady, Alfred

Corps    Regiment No     Rank

Liverpool Regiment         4712       Private

Cheshire Regiment         292925  Private

Liverpool Masonic War Memorial Column 1.

Alfred Bradey (Brady) initiated 25 April 1915, Musician, Private 292925, 7 Bn. Cheshire Regiment, died (wounds?) 17 August 1917 age 30, Buried at St Andrews Churchyard, Covehithe, Suffolk, England

The war gratuity of £8 net (£10) gross was paid for 22 months qualifying service at the time of death - indicative of enlistment in the month from 18 Oct 1915.

He is noted as being with 2/7th when he died (suicide). Monies paid to his father John.

Craig

Thanks a lot Craig. That's a tragic discovery but one which many of those we work with will be familiar and able to identify and empathise with.

Can I ask which resource you found that one please? (I need to make a list of these to put forward once it's up and running). Thanks

2 minutes ago, Mark Crame said:

Thanks a lot Craig. That's a tragic discovery but one which many of those we work with will be familiar and able to identify and empathise with.

Can I ask which resource you found that one please? (I need to make a list of these to put forward once it's up and running). Thanks

All of my post is based on the information in the Soldiers Effects Records (on Ancestry) - deriving the date from those figures requires a knowledge of how the war gratuity was calculated (see the link in my signature for my website).

Craig

Soldiers died shows. 

Born - Widnes, Lancs 

Enlisted - Liverpool

Formerly - 201977 Liverpool Regt.

Thanks Craig, that estimator looks a valuable tool indeed. One I am sure to be using shortly.

Thanks Trenchrat!

Just now, Mark Crame said:

Thanks Craig, that estimator looks a valuable tool indeed. One I am sure to be using shortly.

Any issues let me know - it doesn't cover all of the permutations as there are some head-scratchers (and I apparently am the forum expert on the gratuity now :ph34r: )

Craig

#201977 indicates he was 5th Liverpools.

#292924 2/7th Cheshires was allocated at Thetford on 17 July 1917 (looking at surrounding service records to Alfred's number) - I have a feeling that Alfred had been sent home injured or ill and then posted to the Cheshires. The 2/7th never served overseas.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Long Trail gives:

2/7th Battalion
Formed at Macclesfield on 10 October 1914 as a home service (“second line”) unit.
March 1915 : attached to 204th Brigade, 68th Division at Northampton. Moved in August 1915 to Bedford.
8 December 1915 : absorbed the 2/4th Bn. Moved to Lowestoft in September 1916, thence to Wrentham in May 1917 and Southwold by March 1918.
31 March 1918 : disbanded in UK.

Lowestoft is ten miles or so north, Wrentham is about a mile and a half. Lowestoft Records Office might have something relevant, that's monday afternoon sorted (if they haven't closed it down yet to move it to Ipswich as proposed).

Respects paid this morning. Poor lad; he's going to be remembered properly again though.

30127170_10160652861785393_8864735627619336192_n.jpg

doc4800484.JPG

doc4800486.JPG

doc5702640.JPG

• 8 months later...

Hi Mark

I was interested to read your post about Private Alfred Brady, 7th Cheshire Regiment.  I am currently researching the 79 men who appear on the war memorial at St Mathew & St James church, Mossley Hill, Liverpool.  Alfred is one of them.  What I know about him is:

Alfred was born in Widnes in 1888 and lived at 57 Oakland Street.  He was the son of John James and Mary Ann Brady (formerly Lewis).  John was a general labourer. Albert had three brothers and two sisters. In 1901 the Brady family had moved to 48 Lunts Heath Road in Widnes and John was now described as a professor of music.  Alfred would clearly inherit his love of music from his father. In 1911 aged 22 he was living with his uncle's family in 33 Oakland Street described as working in the music profession in local music halls.

In April 1916 Alfred joined the Liverpool Dramatic Lodge of Freemasons and attended meetings at the Masonic Hall in Hope Street.

Alfred enlisted in the army on 18th October 1915.  He died on 17 August 1917 aged 30 by which time his parents had moved to 81 Clavell Road, Allerton.  He is buried in the north east section of Covehithe (St Andrew) churchyard in Suffolk.

In World War One he was firstly a private in the Liverpool Regiment (regiment number 4712) and later a bandsman in the Cheshire Regiment (regiment number 292925).  The 2/7th Battalion Cheshire Regiment didn't serve overseas, so it is fair to say that he was wounded while with the 5th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment.

Probate records show that Alfred left 107 pounds to his father (then described as a piano tuner). The records state that Alfred's last address was 10 Agnes Street, Edge Hill and that he had died at Wrentham in Suffolk.  His father was living at 16 Stanley Terrace, Mossley Hill.  The cause of death shown on his army register of soldier's effects is sadly suicide.

Did you find out anything else about him.

• 8 months later...

That's a great addition to this thread, thank you Alan! I've done no further research on this since my last update, however his grave is being well looked after by the team at work.

• 8 months later...

Mark. I have quite a bit of information on Alfred Brady which I am evaluating at the moment. It has taken a number of hours over the years. I believe he won Brass band Championship twice as part of Wingates. He played solo cornet.

On 06/04/2018 at 21:37, ss002d6252 said:

died (suicide)

On 06/04/2018 at 21:45, Mark Crame said:

That's a tragic discovery but one which many of those we work with will be familiar and able to identify and empathise with.

Suicide also recorded on his Pension Card at Western Front Association / Fold 3 - which is another really great 'new' resource if you have not yet discovered it.

Good luck, please keep up your good work

:-) M

• 7 months later...

Hawk Patrol. Just read your post from May 2020. I am Alan Bennett and I am researching the lives of the men who appear on the Mossley Hill War Memorial. Alfred Brady is one of those men and you can see from my earlier post that I know a little about him from the research I have carried out. I am, however, extremely interested to know what further information you may have found and whether you have any images. 

Hello Alan, regarding Mossley Hill Memorial, two others who were freemasons are included on the memorial, James Platt and Frank Jacob Schenkel (sometimes recorded as Shenkel, and both are also on Liverpool Masonic Hall Memorial. May have a band picture filed of Wingate Band including Alfred Brady, will look when access to Liverpool Masonic Hall is open again. If you send you email I can send what I have. Kind regards. Hawk Patrol

• Admin

Alan, I have removed your email address from public view, as spammers can harvest it. Now you have two posts, you can send a private message to Hawk Patrol.

Michelle