Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting Italian War Memorial in Bagnoregio, Umbria

corisande

I recently took this photo of a strange war memorial in Bagnoregio, Umbria. It appears to show soldiers heads sticking out of cannons. I have no idea if that was the intention

memorial-3.jpg.ab6930bfc68fdc48af6dc8492a945187.jpg

memorial-1.jpg.ccad8072b49686f98c4227a58e331c85.jpg

Very odd... Not cannons, though. I wondered for a moment if they were fasces, but no, laurel-wrapped scrolls. I guess its is a WW1 monument on the basis of the lovely lichen development and also the crowned shield. But aren't those the wrong helmets for WW1? Perhaps the ah'be-ssein'ya campaign? What was at the other end of the scrolls? Heads again?

Edited by trajan

It's a monument to 1915 - 1918 and "di tutte le guerre" - all the wars.  

20090616162056!Bagnoregio_-_monumento_ai_caduti.jpg

Edited by Gareth Davies

Interesting... Do you have one of the back showing what's on the other end of those scrolls?

Here it is (from Google Street View)

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 14.48.15.png

The angle of the shot makes the helmets look like WW2 but after looking closer they can also be the WW1 Adrian type. An odd memorial in any case. Am I  the only who thinks they look a bit like Benito M? Did he issue some sort of edict that all the wr memorials had to look like him? Wouldn't surprise me!

On 4/7/2018 at 16:48, Gareth Davies said:

Here it is (from Google Street View)

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 14.48.15.png

Now it does get interesting! Front a memorial for the GW, back for the 'African Campaign', 1935-36 - so I guess Abbysina?, and  the Spanish campaign of 1936-1937 - had to sqeeze in that last 'I' as is usual on Latin inscriptions (in earlier times), and so I guess the Spanish civil war.

Then lovely bit there - year of re-dedication is 1939, followed by 'Anno VIII E.F.' for Anno 8 Era Fascista, 8th year of the fascist regime of Mussolini! Many of these remonder of the fascist years were scrubbed out after 1944/1945.

Yes, Adrian helmets there and on the front. Don't understand the heads in scrolls though...

Thanks for showing us this!

25 minutes ago, trajan said:

Now it does get interesting! Front a memorial for the GW, back for the 'African Campaign', 1935-36 - so I guess Abbysina?, and  the Spanish campaign of 1936-1937 - had to sqeeze in that last 'I' as is usual on Latin inscriptions (in earlier times), and so I guess the Spanish civil war.

Then lovely bit there - year of re-dedication is 1939, followed by 'Anno VIII E.F.' for Anno 8 Era Fascista, 8th year of the fascist regime of Mussolini! Many of these remonder of the fascist years were scrubbed out after 1944/1945.

Yes, Adrian helmets there and on the front. Don't understand the heads in scrolls though...

Thanks for showing us this!

I thought you of all people could read Roman numerals ;). 1929, surely? Fascist era dates from 1922.

As you say, a remarkable monument. I wouldn't rule out the Mussolini heads. When did Italy abandon the Adrian helmet?

Cheers Martin B

Ouch... Quite right... But try concentrating and replying to GWF in a 'study' that is the corridor to the balcony with two bairns running around demanding I play Bingo with them...

I stand corrected - or, rather, admit that having a Sunday lunchtime 'pint' did not help!

The funny thing was that I was not out to take photos of War Memorials.

We were just strolling along the street and saw it. I did a double take and could not work out what the sculptor was trying to portray.

I wonder if the memorial is incomplete? Perhaps this was meant to be a base for a statue?

The heads seem earily familiar to me...

Edited by Wexflyer

It also looks to me as though the 'e tutte le guerre' might be an afterthought - 'and of all (the) wars'. Perhaps the strange 'heads at the end of scrolls' decoration might be a considerably later addition?  

Does not really help, but concentrating on the head alone I can get more definition. I thought maybe there might be some more inscription round the head.

head.jpg.b0ea14433680bd77e77b8c1bfecf1fe3.jpg

5 hours ago, nigelcave said:

It also looks to me as though the 'e tutte le guerre' might be an afterthought - 'and of all (the) wars'. Perhaps the strange 'heads at the end of scrolls' decoration might be a considerably later addition?  

My first thought was Great War memorial, converted to a 1930s war memorial, with "all the wars" added last.