Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Qs. Paddle vessels and the War Emergency Program

Felix C

#1Were these formed into units of same type? paddle minesweepers formed only with other paddle minesweepers? paddle patrol only with other paddle patrol? etc If so would the Minesweeping flotilla nomenclature indicate X paddle mine-sweeping flotilla or just X mine-sweeping flotilla?

#2Is there a list of ship types built under the Emergency War Programme? I mean all types.

Edited by Felix C

I would have expected to see a series of files at Kew on this subject and covering the types involved. As it is there is only one, which covers new construction destroyers and submarines. ADM1/8390/256. Readable at Kew.

There are lists of minesweepers including paddle, built for the Admiralty in "Swept Channels" by Taffrail.

Might be a copy in your local library - The book is available here LINK (Abebooks.co.uk).

Terry

Hello Everyone,

I have Cocker's book on Mine Warfare ships and it lists the purpose built and the requisitioned paddlers. I read one account which appears to indicate the paddle minesweepers operated together. Wished to be sure. The Pink Lists does not differentiate as to what the nomenclature is.  Then see there were paddlers used for auxiliary patrol so have to ask about that as well. 

As for the War Emergency Program I have just started to compile it from many sources.  I suppose there is something in Marder. So library trip this weekend. 

Thought to ask if anyone knew off the cuff  so to speak. 

Yep have Taffrail. He does not provide the answer to the question and that other book by a former RN WW1 minesweeper officer. Cowie's Mines Minelayers And Minelaying

Edited by Felix C

1 hour ago, Felix C said:

Hello Everyone,

I have Cocker's book on Mine Warfare ships and it lists the purpose built and the requisitioned paddlers. I read one account which appears to indicate the paddle minesweepers operated together. Wished to be sure. The Pink Lists does not differentiate as to what the nomenclature is.  Then see there were paddlers used for auxiliary patrol so have to ask about that as well. 

As for the War Emergency Program I have just started to compile it from many sources.  I suppose there is something in Marder. So library trip this weekend. 

Thought to ask if anyone knew off the cuff  so to speak. 

Yep have Taffrail. He does not provide the answer to the question and that other book by a former RN WW1 minesweeper officer. Cowie's Mines Minelayers And Minelaying

Is this Home Waters only?    The Empire was scoured for paddle steamers  after Kut- for the renewed and better organized campaign up the Tigris from Basra to Baghdad in the first half of 1917.

If you should stumble on any reference to the "Porpoise"- which was -possibly-a paddle steamer with Nigerian Marine I would be grateful to know.