Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with trench map

suesalter1

Can anyone assist with locating a modern day version from the attached trench map which someone kindly sent me some time ago. I am trying to pin down the exact place where my great-uncle was fatally wounded in a trench raid in October 1916 and find it as it is today.

Apologies if I have asked this question before. I've been trying to locate the precise position for year and hope to visit it when I go out to Ypres in October.

Thanks,

Sue.

Trench Map 3.jpg

Trench Map 3.jpg

From the writing on the map I searched on McMaster, now your best bet is to use the NLS maps and transparency overlay.

Results for search Essex Farm

Trench Name Nearest Place Map Sheet Number Map Squares
Essex Farm [Ploegsteert Wood 1914-15] Ploegsteert 28SW4 U 20 d
Essex Farm St Julien 28NW2 C 19 c, 25 a
Essex Central Farm Houplines 36NW2 & NE1 C 4 a 6.0

you could also look at

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-cemeteries-and-memorials/15800/essex-farm-cemetery

Sue,  

i use Nationaal Geografisch Instituut 

map number 28, Poperinge-Ieper 1 - 2.  1:20 000 

they can be obtained from internet.

i get mine from worldwide maps and the in Flanders Fields Museum also sells them

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have been pouring over the various maps suggested in the posts and think I've established the area I'm interested in. There looks to be a modern road nearby, but will need to check on road map as it could be just a farm track and private property. I will definitely look out for the Nationaal Geografisch Instituut map as suggest by thetrenchrat22 and pick one up from the Flanders Fields Museum when I visit Ypres later this year.

Thanks once again. Much appreciated. This forum is the best!

Sue.

Hi Sue,

I always prefer to use google maps and then switch to the satellite picture to narrow down. Unfortunately, google maps will not allow me to post the link on this site!

Use google maps to find the obvious road fork to the south of the trench raid. It is the junction of Pilkemseweg and Kleine Poezelstraat. This is also just to the south of No Man's Cot Cemetery. Switch to satellite image and focus on the farm that is just to the west of the cemetery. This is probably Krupp farm on your trench map. Locate the top hedgerow that intersects and is perpendicular to Pilkemseweg. Follow this west for about 200m into the fields and you have the spot.

Sue, 

nearby by Welsh (Caesar’s Nose) Cemetery is a B&B called Back2Front which I think where Flash Cot is on the Trench Map 

so they may be able to help with who the land you wish to walk over.

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Thanks again. I've just been on Google Maps and followed the Pilkemsweg road down to a small crossroads. The open fields to the left seem to be in the right area. I'm amazed how built-up the surrounding area is now. They must find loads of stuff when they're digging down to build, but I can understand the people want their land back for industry and housing. I don't wish to trample down fields and annoy the local farmers, but will check out the B&B. Thank goodness for a car, so we can see these out of the way places. Roill on October and I can go and explore!

Sue

Sue, tmapper.com puts Essex Farm (28.C.25.a.33.90) at this location.  Is this the one you want?  It has a link to the NLS overlays, which are very helpful.

image.png.cdfe764efa223ca7dce89bc67086cc76.png

The location of the raid on the trench map on Sue's original post is near ESSEN FARM not Essex Farm. It appears that all farms on the German side of the wire were given German names, hence, the nearby Krupp Farm. On the directions I have given Sue a modern version of Krupp Farm exists, just to the west of No Man's Cot Cemetery beside Pilkemseweg, but as far as I can see Essen Farm does not. The location of the raid is about 200m west of the modern Krupp Farm.

Sue,

Am I right when I think your search has nothing to do with Essex Farm, but with Essen Farm. (A trench raid near Essex Farm ? Impossible. A trench raid near Essen Farm ? Very possible !)

This is a photo of the field opposite  Krupp Farm. "Unfortunately" taken when we were all almost 15 years younger. If you want an oblique aerial photo showing where Krupp Farm was, PM me please. If you want another aerial photo of approx. Oct. 1916, please ask. (I go to the In Flanders Fields Museom Research Centre once a week.) Anything else ? (I live "nearby".)

Aurel

Krupp Farm area opposite 260803.jpg

Sue,

This one is much better ! Because we all are only one and a half years older than it.  :-)

Extreme right : B&B Back2Front in the Moortelweg.

By the way, Essen Farm was not rebuilt after the war.

By the way again : what unit was grandad in ?

Aurel

DB 2016-5 Pislap 17-09-2016 DSC07320.JPG

I think I've identified the site, but have attached the raid report which might help to pinpoint the exact position. I know it's on the left hand side of Pilkemsweg road (if coming from Ypres) and very near Caeser's Nose Welsh Cemetery. Great-uncle was in the RWF, by the way.

Thanks for the photos, Aurel. It must be great to live so close by. I'll pm you re aerial photo of the area.

Sue

Raid Report 1.jpg

Raid Report 2.jpg

Sue,

You have the blue circle correctly marked on the trench map. In terms of the ground today I think the spot is 300m SE of Caeser's Nose cemetery.

Looking closer now!

image.png.0b9ab8d17736a0e965026045152835f8.png

Coincidence ... I see (in my PC archives) that tomorrow it will be exactly 10 years ago that I took photos of the area for someone who was interested in the trench raid too. (But I can't remember the name. A GWF member ?) This is one of them. Taken from the Moortelweg. (Of which a very small part can be seen in WhiteStarLine's "Looking Closer Now" posting (north edge).

Aurel

RWF Trench raid area 070408 02.jpg