Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Edwin A. Newton RNAS/RAF

Guest steveb21

Guest steveb21

Mates,

Lt Edwin Allen Newton 25 years old from Kalgoolie WA Australia

Do you have any details on this officer.

He went from the AIF to the CTC in Egypt gaining his comison into the Egyptian CTC in 1916 and as such was with the RASC.

Some time after that he transfered to the RFC/RNAS and was peported as a prisoner either late 1917 or early 1918.

Do you have any info in your books on this man?

thaks

S.B

Hi S.B.

The following is from The List of British Officers taken prisoner produced by Cox & Co.:

2/Lt E. A. Newton of the RNAS is shown as missing on 11 October 1917 and as being repatriated on 18 December 1918. The theatre of operation was Palestine, so he was a prisoner of the Turks.

Regards

Steve

S B

2Lt E A Newton was the pilot of Short 184 8021, from HMS Empress, with Cdr A W Clemson as observer, when shot down by anti-aircraft fire during a mission over Alexandretta on 11 October 1917. Both airmen were taken Prisoner-of-War.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

G'day Steve,

I have Newton originally from Tenterfield, NSW, according to his B2455 he enlisted at Liverpool, NSW.

According to his Red Cross file, he was wounded when shot down and wasinterned in Adana Hospital.

During my research into Aussies in the RNAS, Newton falls into a grey area as he was only attached to the RNAS from the Camel Corps, hence his rank of 2nd Lieut.

I am heading down to the AWM to see what the intellectual vandal has been up to as well as some research, I will pull Newtons file that was compiled by Bean and have a look see.

Regards,

Andrew.

Guest steveb21

No worries Andrew,

My area of interest and study is the Camel Corps so I have the other side of the fence.

He embarked with the 9th Reinforcement to the 1st Bn AIF with his NOK given in East Kalgoolie WA while he his shown enlisting in Randwick a suburb of Sydney NSW.

On arrival in Egpyt he went to the CTC as A/CQMS of KCo and later made A/CSM untill Sept 1916 when he and a large number of aussies where given commisons in the Egyptian CTC.

Thats as far as I have there are a few references to the above in his file but little to say in any detail.

I would surpose the RNAS had a training sqn in Egypt and he went there?

S.B

No worries Andrew,

My area of interest and study is the Camel Corps so I have the other side of the fence.

He embarked with the 9th Reinforcement to the 1st Bn AIF with his NOK given in East Kalgoolie WA while he his shown enlisting in Randwick a suburb of Sydney NSW.

On arrival in Egpyt he went to the CTC as A/CQMS of KCo and later made A/CSM untill Sept 1916 when he and a large number of aussies where given commisons in the Egyptian CTC.

Thats as far as I have there are a few references to the above in his file but little to say in any detail.

I would surpose the RNAS had a training sqn in Egypt and he went there?

S.B

G'day Steve,

AWM couldn't find his file, but I have sent you an email with more info, I don't want to bore the Pals while we sort out his birthplace and enlistment place.

As for his training another Aussie in the RNAS, Tom Piper trained as an observer, but gained his wing at Murdos, so it is possible Newton trained in the M.E.

Take care mate,

Andrew