Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefields touring

Michelle Young

I conducted a tour for a few friends last November to the Somme and touched on Vimy and Ypres Salient. This November i'm concentrating on Ypres Salient and a day trip to Mons, waterloo (obv not ww1!) and Cambrai.

For me, the reason i dont venture TOO far, is due to time off work! my holidays are spent and i usually only have 2-5 days left; as i dont want to lose a full day travelling each side, my (immediate) plan is to search the whole front, then venture to mayb italy once ive "done" the W.F. I absolutely LOVE the research aspect, finding places and maps/stories/accounts/photos to go with them, so i won't be giving up until i've done the out of the way places too!

Personally I avoid the Somme and Ypres like the plague during summertime preferring Cambria, St. Quentin and other areas for the summer, still yet to meet another person walking the battlefields in these areas during the Summer. Somme and Ypres only in deepest winter when the crowds are less likely. Somme 1918 not as busy during the summer.

Andy

15 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Ypres only in deepest winter when the crowds are less likely

Ypres itself is certainly busy in summer, but a few minutes will take you to the heart of the old battlefields where you can walk and see very few other visitors.

23 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Personally I avoid the Somme and Ypres like the plague during summertime preferring Cambria, St. Quentin and other areas for the summer, still yet to meet another person walking the battlefields in these areas during the Summer. Somme and Ypres only in deepest winter when the crowds are less likely. Somme 1918 not as busy during the summer.

Andy

Hello, when you write 'Somme', I guess yoiu mean the area Albert-Pozières-Thiepval-Péronne. But Eastern Somme exists too ... though there are less 'spectacular' sights - but many CWGC cemeteries .... and : Villers Bretonneux !

• Admin

Yes I should have clarified in my original post  it's the 1916 Somme I meant. I shall amend it 

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Yes I should have clarified in my original post  it's the 1916 Somme I meant. I shall amend it 

Yes, but there is a 'Somme 1918' ! "Kaiser's Battle here 100 years ago .... & see the posts about Moreuil Wood (Flowerdew) ...

kind regards, martine

https://somme18.com/

• Admin

I agree Martine, and I was there recently, staying in Villers-Faucon. But the majority of visitors tend to concentrate on the 1916 British sector.

From what I see in the Visitors' book in the CWGC cemeteries, visitors do come over here .... Hangard, Bouchoir, Roye, etc

and : e.g.

kind regards, martine