Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St George's Gazette look up - ABLEY

djanej

I have posted about an ABLEY in my family who died in WW1 before (John ABLEY in Galipolli).  Now I have found 2 more, who were brothers. This request relates to the younger one, called Ishmael ABLEY, who was a 2nd cousin to John, and also to me.

Ishmael ABLEY was born in Low Spennymoor, County Durham in about October 1897, the baby in a family of 10. His father, John Henry, who had moved up from the West Midlands in his youth, had alternated between Coal Mining and Shoe Making as a career.

Ishmael joined the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, probably sometime in late 1915. He was apparently originally in the 4th (Reserve) Battalion, but moved to the 10th (Service) Battalion. He was only ever a Private, and he was Service No. 205708

This presumably means that he served in France initially, then moved to Italy in October 1917. The 10th were involved in fighting from 15 June 1918, but tragically, Ishmael died of Influenza after only 3 days of illness, on 14 June 1918, at No 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital. He had been transported by the 69th Field Ambulance. His medical record is apparently in Series MH106/830 in National Archives. His Medal Card and Roll entry are both annotated 'Died'. He was 20.

Ishmael was buried in Montecchio Precalcino Communal Cemetery Extension, Province of Vicenza, and his gravestone is in Plot No. 2; Row C; Grave 6. He received the British WW1 War Medal and British Victory Medal.

I would dearly like to know more about Ishmael's service. When did he join up, how much service did he see in France, were others also being struck down with 'flu in the Regiment at that time?  I would be grateful for any information about him from SGG, or indeed from any other source.

Many thanks.

Jane

Jane

Ismael Abley was one of three brothers who served during the war, you have some information on Samuel and Ishmael, the other brother was Joseph Abley.  Joseph lived with his wife Edith at 4 Barker Street, Merrington Lane, Low Spennymoor.  He served as Pte 699497  22nd Battalion London Regiment before being transferred to the Essex Regiment on 6th May 1917,  He ended his war service with the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment in October 1919.  I notice that you have Ishmael as having died from influenza, Bob always thought that he had been killed in action.  I have attached a photograph of Ishmael for you.   Regards, John

5ac628d93f0e2_IshmaelAbley.jpg.4211c60b901ae508fdce62eb2105bfa8.jpg

FWR record transcription confirms influenza. Suspect more than 3 days illness. In CCS for 3 days.Looks as if previously being tended at 69 Fld Amb.

Edited by Mark1959

Mark1959

Thanks for confirming that he died of influenza, I will amend my records.

Regards

John

Just for accuracy.... Northumberland Fusiliers became Royal Northumberland Fusiliers in 1935.

Steve

John, Thank you, that is another wonderful picture. Ishmael was only 20 when he died, and the youngest in the family. His mother must have been devastated.

I have been looking and looking at the pictures you posted yesterday, and looking at Ishmael and Samuel's father, John Henry, I can see my own Grandfather very clearly!

Yes, my source of the information about him dying of 'flu was also FWR. Circumstantial evidence comes from the CWGC and Medal Card material, which all show 'Died', rather than 'Died of Wounds' etc (although I am aware that this was not always an accurate reflection). Also, he actually died the day BEFORE the Regiment engaged in action. However, the material on FWR is categorical. It comes from Series MH106/830 in Nat. Archives. For anyone unfamiliar, MH106 is: War Office: First World War Representative Medical Records of Servicemen. The subsets are for Hospital Admission and Discharge Registers, and MH106/830 is for No. 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital: British other ranks from 11 June 1918 - 14 June 1918. This record shows that he was transferred from the Sick Convoy, with 69th Field Ambulance, and that he died of Influenza in No. 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital after 3 days, before being buried in Montecchio Precalcino Communal Cemetery Extension.

Thank you for the material about Joseph. I knew he had served, but have not yet begun to collect the material available. There was also 2 other brothers who grew to adulthood, James and Thomas were the oldest children, born 1880 and 1882. Isaac, Henry and the 2 daughters Lily and Eleanor all died as young children. There was also Annie.

Thank you too to Steve for the heads up about the addition of 'Royal'.

Regards to everyone,

Jane

Jane

I am pleased that the photographs were of use to you.  I find it strange that the Abley family always thought that Ishmael was killed in action, in fact in 2014 when along with Bob we put on a display at the Town Hall of Spennymoor men in the Great War, and he wrote that Ishmael was killed in action, I just wonder what the family were told in 1918.  I forgot to mention that Samuel's family received a death plaque for Samuel and I have a photograph of it if you are interested.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Thank you, yes the pictures are really wonderful, and very touching. I would love a picture of the plaque. Thank you.

Yes, I wonder if they were told he was KIA, to sort of soften the blow. Also, I believe that 'flu in the Forces was a bit of a political and morale-related hot potato. The epidemic stemmed in part from the squalid and crowded conditions the soldiers were kept in, behind the lines as well as at the front. It seems the family were totally convinced that he was KIA, and yet the National Archives record is quite clear. It is very sad that they were mis-led. 

Regards,

Jane

Jane

Please find attached a photograph of the memorial plaque issued to Samuel's family.

John5ac77c4bb952a_AbleyMemorialPlaque.jpg.54b3745807094cfe881529d51af765b7.jpg

Thank you John, another wonderful picture. You have been very generous.

Regards,

Jane

• 2 months later...

I have just come across this site and am fascinated to find the information about the Abley brothers, especially Ishmael.  My grandmother used to speak of her Uncle who died in Italy of a bad chest.  I am on my way to visit his grave on the 100th anniversary of his death.  Would anyone happen to know where the hospital/clearing station is located in which he died?

Kind regards

Sue

Hi Sue,

The details that I have are as follows: 

From Jan-11 June 1918  he was stationed at Volpago del Montello, Province of Treviso, Veneto, Italy. (Source: Forces War Records).

c 11 June he was moved from 69th Field Ambulance to No. 39 Casualty Clearing Station. (Source: Series MH106/830 in Nat. Archives.)

12-14 June 1918  No. 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital in the field, Italy.  Transferred from Sick Convoy. NB No. 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital was in the field west of Volpago del Montello, Province of Treviso, Veneto, Italy.   (Source: Forces War Records). 

14 June 1918 Died at No. 39 Casualty Clearing Hospital.

Buried in Montecchio Precalcino Communal Cemetery Extension, Province of Vicenza, Veneto, Italy. Plot No. 2; Row C; Grave 6.

I have a suspicion that this is the best info that there is. Clearly, the situation was pretty fluid, and after months of inactivity, there was this sudden brutal fighting, and everything moved very fast. Things were dealt with literally 'in the field', and nothing was in a static position for very long. The best you may be able to do is just see the area, and the lie of the land. But I bow to those more experienced than myself on this - and there are many on this Forum.

Sue, after your visit, I would LOVE some pictures, if you feel able to share...

Kind regards,

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thank you so much for your reply and information.  I will gladly send you some pictures when I get back at the weekend. 

How are you related to Ishmael and the Abley family.  Ismael was my great great uncle.  His sister Annie was my Great Grandmother.

Kind regards,

Sue

Hi Sue,

My paternal Grandfather's paternal Grandmother (ie my 2xGreat Grandmother) was Sarah ABLEY b1815. Her parents were Samuel ABLEY and Tabitha Jane MONNINGTON, who lived in Presteigne. As you probably know, the Welsh Marches (Radnorshire/Shropshire/Herefordshire) is the original home area of the ABLEY family.

Sarah ABLEY's younger brother James ABLEY b1821, was the paternal Grandfather of Ishmael and his siblings. Ishmael is my 2nd cousin twice removed, and was my Grandfather's second cousin.

I have researched the ABLEY family back to Richard, my 11xGreat Grandfather b c 1520, and the MONNINGTONs to the 1620s, as well as several of the other lines who married in to both families. This winter, I have been transcribing Wills for ABLEYs (including Richard in 1573), MONNINGTONs and others, and last year, I followed the trail of Samuel ABLEY's father, John, who died in Youghal in Co. Cork, in September 1794, where he was serving as a Private with the  43rd (the Monmouthshire) Regiment of Foot. I didn't find a grave, but it was a fascinating quest! 

I don't know how much of the family history is known to you, but it if you haven't researched them, they are well worth it! There are some amazing stories there. No rich men, some villains and several heroes! 

Regards,

Jane

Sue 

Welcome to the forum.

one of the chaps I have been researching Alfred John Haines is in the same cemetery. Plot 6 Row A Grave 1. If you get this before you visit could I impose on you to take a photo of his grave. He was an RFC/RAF man.