Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Wiltshire

Canadian Nurses

Wiltshire

Does anyone know if records exist of Canadian nurses who served in military hospitals in the UK during the war?

Graham

jonbem

Hi Graham

there may be info on these

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-nurses-service-records-1914-1918/

and

www.scarletfinders.co.uk/8.html

Edited by jonbem
add 2nd link

laughton

Graham:

On the CEFSG you said:

The hospital did have a War Diary but it is in New Zealand. 

There are two members here that I know of that are located in NZ that may be able to assist.

jacksdad

Herekawe

There may be more.

I have the same issue with access to the NZ war diaries, as it does not appear that you can get them online. It appears that you can order a copy.

Richard

alf mcm

Graham,

Searching the Register of the Royal Red Cross, and selecting 'Canadian' and 'Colonial' gives 64 women who probably came from Canada. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=register+of+the+royal+red+cross%2c+1883-1994&keywords=canadian+colonial  

Searching only using 'Canadian' gives more results but it is possible many of these women did not come from Canada.  https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=register+of+the+royal+red+cross%2c+1883-1994&keywords=canadian

Regards,

Alf McM

Wiltshire

Richard

Thank you for your replies.  I understand the NZ war diaries are in the process of being digitised.

Alf

Thanks for the links.  I have been working my way through the Canadian service records which are a great resource.  I will have a look at the Register of the Royal Red Cross.

Graham

sotonmate

Graham

You might be pleased to read that when I did some research on behalf of a Vancouver Islander, for his Canadian relative's Canadian wife, who, after she married in Norfolk, England, was a nurse while her husband served as a Doctor with RAMC, that her Medal Roll showed all of the UK hospitals that she served in !

Edited by sotonmate

Wiltshire

Are the medal rolls available on line?

Graham

sotonmate

Yes, they are on Ancestry UK. I found mine among the Canadian VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) Lists.