Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Celluloid War Memorials: The British Instructional Films Company and the Memory of the Great War' Mark Connelly

simond9x

Has anyone read this? If so, any thoughts? I'm interested in several of the films that it covers but not sure if it sheds any new light on them.

I heard him lecture on this a couple of years ago, and found the lecture seriously interesting. It was a new subject for me, so I can't really say whether there would be much new for someone who already had an interest in film or the company. I didn't know that Professor Connelly had now published. However having just looked up the price I'm not likely to buy a copy.

Keith

• 5 years later...
On 26/03/2018 at 22:30, keithmroberts said:

However having just looked up the price I'm not likely to buy a copy.

Indeed same here .

Was about to Post same question as Simon above .

Mark lectures locally to where I live and is giving a talk at Canterbury WFA in December so ....chances he would loan me a copy ??!! He is also involved as an advisor on a local WW1 Research your Ancestors project that I am part of so.....what a conniving person I am!

@Michelle FYI too! 

• Admin

It looks very interesting, but beyond my budget! 

So many books, especially from academic publishers are priced deliberately, knowing that they  have a secure market in the number of university libraries that will feel obliged to buy copies that they can set prices that are just not for normal people. I ahve just added an interestin 209 page title published 5 years ago by "Cambridge Scholars Publishing". It is priced at £64.93 on Amazon.  Strangely enough searches  on JISC and Wordcat bring up copies in so many academic libraries.

I suppose it is an advantage of being retired, that I can make time to visit the Bodleian occasionally, generally to read out of print and hard to find titles, but also for books like this. It should not be like that, and all credit to Helion and a few other publishers for releasing serious titles at prices that are just about affordable.

UPDATE. The book I was referring to has been made available free of charge by the author on Academia.edu   

Edited by keithmroberts
Update

There is an article on Walter Summers, the film director with B.I.F. in 'Stand To!' September 2015, although mostly about his frontline service.

Michael

27 minutes ago, EastSurrey said:

about his frontline service.

That's good that he served .I mean good that the film director had served and had his own memory to draw upon as well as the wider information at his disposal at that time

On 26/03/2024 at 21:13, keithmroberts said:

knowing that they  have a secure market in the number of university libraries that will feel obliged to buy copies that they

It's a very closed world then as they say in them Ivory Towers.

If " Joe Blogs " cannot get to see a copy of these books then the discussion post- publication is extremely limited .

37 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

That's good that he served .I mean good that the film director had served and had his own memory to draw upon as well as the wider information at his disposal at that time

He served in the ranks with 9th East Surrey on the Western Front from autumn 1915, winning a DCM and MM, and was then commissioned and won an MC with 12th East Surrey in 1918, so he certainly knew what combat was all about! Incidentally, R.C. Sherriff, who wrote 'Journey's End' also served with 9th East Surrey-from October 1916 to August 1917.

Michael

5 minutes ago, EastSurrey said:

Incidentally, R.C. Sherriff, who wrote 'Journey's End' also served

Thanks Michael.

My favourite WW1 film. 

And Walter Summers - he certainly did know what it was all about from a soldiers perspective. 

I'll see about finding that article through my local branch of WFA. Or are they all online to members ?-before my membership expires. 

On 28/03/2024 at 16:22, EastSurrey said:

article on Walter Summers, the

Found it online at the  WFA website as you said , thanks. In same edition there is this book  review attached below. Ordered it to explore the connections  between Walter Summers and R.C.Sherriff ,both  East Surrey regiments and both  great exponents of the art of film and theatre .

I noted Walter Summers had lived post WW1 in Shoreham-by-Sea . Perhaps in that glorious bungalow town community of actors, musicians, artists and the bohemian in-crowd where the British Film Industry founded itself. And where my grandfather lived post WW1 meeting his future wife there.

f anyone is curious about this community do visit Shoreham Historical society 's website.

https://www.shorehambysea.com/

Absolutely fantastic collection of material there. Recommend the Shoreham Remembered Facebook group too.

Article copyright Western Front Association Stand To!   Magazine. Issue No. 104 Sept 2015.

Further edit - just read the Wiki entry for W.Summers. the case against him is most disturbing but I haven't seen the sources Wiki used. Review of  book about R C Sherriff in Stand To no 104 sept 1915 snip.PNG

Edited by FionaBam
Added link

@FionaBam, do you still have that page to hand? I'd be intrigued to know which book Pete Starling was reviewing in the previous column. Thanks!

seaJane

I'll look this evening!

:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

@FionaBam, do you still have that page to hand? I'd be intrigued to know which book Pete Starling was reviewing in the previous column. Thanks!

seaJane

Here it is!

Article copyright Western Front Association Stand To!   Magazine. Issue No. 104 Sept 2015.

Very glad you drew my attention to Pete's review as I have a grt grt Uncle who served at Gallipoli as a medic  on  board HMS Formosa-  (hence I have bumped into you on threads about Hospital Ships!)- and this  Michael Lucas book has a lot about serving  at Gallipoli as a medic. 

Cheers

Fiona

Stand To! Issue 104  sept 1915 Snip 1  Book review Medics Gallipoli.PNG

Stand To! Issue 104  sept 1915 Snip 2  Book review Medics Gallipoli.PNG

Thanks @FionaBam. On checking the Pirie title, I find I already have it in my bibliography. Oddly the previous entry, which begins with the heading Medicine and duty: the First World War diary of Dr Harold Dearden, has text beneath it which seems to be a review of a different title??

You're welcome! 

I see what you mean. Odd . I'll check out the rest of the review tomorrow. It may turn out to be one for your bibliography.  Time to get my beauty sleep :rolleyes: Nite!