Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 - 2018 Centenary of the Armistice

suesalter1

Is there no official events happening in the UK or France/Flanders to mark the 100 years since the Armistice in 1918? I've seen nothing mentioned like there was for the Somme and Passchedaele.

Sue

I don’t know, I’ve asked question in an earlier post. 

As I will Ieper on the 11th November and the last couple of times I’ve taken the group I’m with to Tyne Cot and has been mad , roads closed and nothing advised before hand. 

As the 11th falls on Sunday, is there anything planned. 

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Hope you've got your hotel sorted...

Sorry if going off the thread, slightly 

Yes, hotel all sorted.  It was booked last year

Edited by thetrenchrat22

There is a small event at Mons, a larger one at Whitehall. 

A wide-ranging take on the USA's plans and experience is to be read in 'Politico', here:

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-the-great-war-could-reign-on-donald-trump-parade-veterans-day/

'But World War I was subsequently glossed over in the United States, which participated in the final 18 months and helped the Allies turn the tide.

“It got book-ended by the Civil War and World War II,” said Mitchell Yockelson, an investigative archivist at the National Archives and Records Administration. “It kind of laid dormant for a long time. And even the U.S. government didn’t really mention World War I that much. We’re the only belligerent in the war that doesn’t have an official history.” '

• 2 weeks later...

In London there is a service at Westminster Abbey for the Queen and top Brass.

Thats it.

Well done the Department of Culture on spending the £5m you had.

Oh well, we'll probably be the middle of World War 3 by then, so it won't make much difference!

Sue.

On 4/11/2018 at 22:17, Barry R said:

In London there is a service at Westminster Abbey for the Queen and top Brass.

Thats it.

Well done the Department of Culture on spending the £5m you had.

DCMS is also organising an event in Amiens on 8 August. The ballot closes on 16 April. 

• 1 month later...

The Secretary of State for Culture etc made a speech at the commemoration of Foch's appointment as Supreme Allied Commander back in March. I've just seen a copy. He referred to the signing of the Armistice as meaning "peace." Pity he couldn't bring himself to say "victory."

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this up, hoping for some updates. 

Is there anything being planned in London, other than the official Remembrance Sunday ceremony? 

I believe that they are expanding the usual ceremony to allow many more people to march than usual. You have to enter a ballot to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received word from the Mayor of Picquigny, west of Amiens, that there will be a service and, I think, a small march in the town, starting about 0945 Starting at the "English Cemetery", Cavee d'Airaines and ending at the War Memorial opposite the Chateau Fort.

I understand more details will be available shortly (timings perhaps not helped by the move of Matt Hancock from DCMS to Health, and therefore a new Culture Secretary, Jeremy Wright)

Gov.uk announcement here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bells-to-ring-out-and-10000-to-march-past-the-cenotaph-as-the-nation-says-thank-you and Guardian piece https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/12/armistice-centenary-to-feature-10000-strong-peoples-march. Unfortunately in that someone from IWM talks about the bells not ringing until Armistice Day which is just wrong, DORA forbade the sounding of bells (and various other things) after dark, but otherwise ringing continued (subject to the ringers not being elsewhere).

Last couple of years driving from Frevent across to thiepval area( avoiding the bigger places) we drove through many small villages, it seemed like the ones not connected with the battles had services and marches to the memorial, pompieres in brass hats all polished. The bigger Villages closer to the battles , I think only one had something going on in the square.

i did read of 'celebrations' going on for 1918 but here many did not bother for 1914 to 1917, I suspect the 'pc' members on the committees put a stop to it.

• 2 months later...