Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Camp Plan

BIFFO

I am part of a project, we have a nice big disused race course,in august1914 onwards it was used as a training camp,nothing remains,drones have been used not a lot could be seen.no photos exist, just grass !!

The army being the Army  was there a definitive camp plan that would be used to fit the terrain ,

if yes where can I see a copy ? :(

:poppy:

What area is the course and when did it become disused?

And where was it and what was its name?

Presumably hutments were built on it in 1914? Which was not always the case: in the case of Wiltshire, several prewar camping-sites (ie where tents were erected during the summer) remained just that, others had wooden huts built on them, and there were several brand-new sites (notably west of Salisbury).

I don't think there was a standard plan;  each camp was designed with consideration to local topography, rail and roads links and so on. Certainly I can't detect much in the way of a uniform layout for Wiltshire camps, though there were of course standard features and specifications for different sorts of building. Googling "Invisionzone  Armstrong Huts" will lead to some previous threads.

Here's a plan of Chisledon Camp

whose eastern boundary was determined by a railway line and the road from Swindon to Marlborough.

No doubt others will be able to suggests plans of other camps.

Another consideration is for whom was a particular camp intended: infantry, cavalry, artillery?

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

BLIMEY

Johnboy  the race course was on the edge of Northampton now its slap bang in the centre,a large empty area, apparently the Canadians came here in ww2,after ww1 it was "a sea of mud "so they plowed the lot up, loosing the footprint of the buildings   what we used to have the second biggest balloon festival on it,BUT if you have seen on the news our wonderful council could organise a Pu in a brewery,

Moonraker  some form of hutments were there,started aug 1914 but no photos taken bit daft as it held 17000 troops of the 53rd/68th.

as for what particular camp yes all of them infantry, cavalry and artillery  

By what area .I meant of the country!

I might have a book on old and disused courses. If you can give the name I will look.

BIFFO The National Library of Scotland have some excellent maps. I don't know the area so am unsure what am looking for. Have a faff with the maps and you might find something. You can use the slider to alter the transparency which can be extremely useful. Good luck

Click

Mike

Edited by Skipman

I expect it's this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Racecourse,_Northampton

As far as I can tell, from the newspaper archive, it was a tented camp, with some stables and allotments, although they may have made some roads in 1915.  A foul-smelling, muddy place by all accounts.

November 1914 - "You are not allowed to go on the Race course now." said a lady on the tramcar the other day. "And whoever wants to go there, ma'am?" was the reply. Who, indeed? The 'Course is surrounded by a moat of mud, slushy and deep; and beyond that only the Borough Ground is at all attractive. The cricket pitches are, for the most part, not much damaged, but it is impossible to reach them without wading ankle-deep in mud. Long ranges of wooden stables are being erected in various parts the common."

February 1915 - "When they came to Northampton they were expecting to be camped on the Racecourse. When they saw the Racecourse they were pleased they were going in billets"

From the further comments I would say that Biffo's camp was not laid out to "a definitive camp plan". I do have a plan of how horse-lines and tents should be laid out on a camping-site (as for Pond Farm Camp on Salisbury Plain, c1910), but this would have been for units based there for only a couple of weeks in summer. Some Canadian mounted units were sent there in mid-October 1914, but were soon moved, so inhospitable were the conditions.

Moonraker

thank you all for your help,:thumbsup:

should have got the bloke with the funny hat that's on time team, from the smallest piece of pottery he seems to be able to visualise the roman empire, if we can find him some old poo maybe work it out for us

First of all MR MOONRAKER less of biffo`s camp I used to play rugby don't ya know

we have trawled the welsh and local papers there is a mention of payment to bricklayers,17000 troops billeted many were only to pleased to sleep housed 3 in a bed as they didn't have to sleep under canvas,lots of huts mentioned as well as tents,5000 horses 

stabled there so much so that the locals developed a thing called race-course throat,saying it was brought on by all the horses and men in close proximity of local houses,there is mention of horse lines,the 53rd were only there a matter of months,then 68th moved in now this is where were have a real problem,still that's another story

:poppy:

1914-1918 Army Camp established with tented accommodation for men and horses 35 acres ploughed up for growing food (allotments)

from friends of northamton race course, no pics

Ouch! Johnboy's colour scheme! (Black type on green background, in case he decides to edit it.)  VERY difficult to read. Was it meant to be a link? :)

Moonraker

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

Ouch! Johnboy's colour scheme! (Black type on green background, in case he decides to edit it.)  VERY difficult to read. Was it meant to be a link? :)

Moonraker

Click and drag over it and you can see it in all its glory.

Mike

Thanks Mike it was copy/ paste so not done intentionally!

thank you Johnboy,all I can see is a description no actual map ?:wacko:

Mr Moonraker thank you for NOT saying I'm camp, :P

2 hours ago, BIFFO said:

thank you Johnboy,all I can see is a description no actual map ?:wacko:

Mr Moonraker thank you for NOT saying I'm camp, :P

sorry BIFFO. I did not say there was a map, just no pics

:thumbsup: