Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pembrokeshire Born Submariners

Greg1933

Hello all,

I am taking part in the 1914-1918 U-Boat Project and being based in Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire I would like to pick your brains to see if its possible to find records of any Pembrokeshire born Submariners (Not just the Officers, looking for the enlisted men too)...I have managed to find one, Capt Francis Cromie but at the moment thats about it.

I don't have any previous experience of searching for records so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance..

Greg

Hi Greg, 

Two things: You seem to have posted the same thread twice- I'd suggest you delete the other, to avoid replies ending up on both.

The second point is about the mariners:

What is it you want to know?

Do you have a list of names, and you want to know which were born in Pembrokeshire, plus other biographical details?

or

You have a list of names, but you know which were born in Pembrokeshire, but you want biographical details about them?

or

You don't have a list, and want information about any submariners that other people know were from Pembrokeshire?

The reason I ask, is that different types of researchers might hold answers to the different questions.

Thanks for the reply Dai

Didn't realise I had posted twice ??

But in answer to your question... 

I don't have a list, and want information about any submariners that other people know were from Pembrokeshire 😊

OK, cheers.

Submarines aren't my field, but living not a million miles away from Pembrokeshire, I might have been able to help with queries of a geographical or genealogical nature.

Although not born in Pembrokeshire  William Hayes Thomas had strong links with the County, both his parents were Pembrokeshire folk. William was born in Chatham on 24th June 1884. He joined the Navy on October 25th 1904 and served as a stoker .  In 1908 he moved from surface ships to submarines, by January 1914 he had returned to surface duties.William had survived the sinking of the light cruiser H M S Pathfinder in 1914. Whist on leave he spent his time with his mother and siblings in Cosheston. He returned to the submarine service and was part of the crew of E13. On 19 August 1915 William and fourteen of his shipmates were killed when E13 was attacked whilst she was aground in Danish waters. William's body was recovered and was buried in Coheston.

• 3 weeks later...