Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The East Persia Cordon

bushfighter

The Indian Army was quite heavily involved in Persia during the Great War but little is known about the operations conducted.

Members may be interested in my article on the East Persia Cordon and adjacent operations here:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/304501/629422.html

Its very interesting Harry, as it came up in another thread earlier regarding German intentions in Afganistan and into India plus the northeat Persia route.

I tried to get to Quetta in August but was advised and actually prevented from going . Interesting area.

Roop

Edited by KONDOA

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Harry,

Thanks for that. The Lieut Chambers, IARO, attached 19 Punjabis (KiA), was subsequently Mentioned in Despatches.

In "The History of the Bombay Pioneers", Lieut (later promoted to Capt., during the campaign with Dyer) E. P. Yeates, who commanded the detachment of 1/12/Pioneers MGs, described meeting Chambers. They had a last whisky and soda before going into the desert, together with a column of camels.

After the campaign had all but ended, both Dyer and Yeates were invalided with colitis, and5acbf4250e95f_15StarLtYeates.jpg.53af7ee80928ee78fad035f95e219b62.jpg5acbf45a7a071_Chalmersstory.jpg.c9e958c4c7d208e449d63e7e189171b0.jpg returned through the desert in Dyer's car... 

I hold the 15 Star and BWM for Capt (later Major) Yeates - but need a portrait of him (if any GWF member could oblige?).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting article Harry keep up the good work. The Book "Like Hidden Fire" by Peter Hopkirk also has some info on what went on in Persia in WW I

Dear James A. Pratt III,

I have ordered an original book by Major Frank James (late 28th Light Cavalry) called "Faraway Campaign", which also deals with the Persia show: as does "Riding to War" by yet another 28th Cavy officer, Capt G. Uloth5ae9793117800_CaptUloth28LCavy.jpg.4136a7e246e5ad5c90230a01bd217e89.jpg5ae97aad8d406_Dust-jacketofFarawayCampaignbyLieutF.JamesIA.jpeg.51ba8160fd2216448229ba360be47bd6.jpeg...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

In case anyone is interested (feedback remain5af74b0abe68e_CaptFrankJamesandLtGeraldUlothontop-Persia..jpg.b4ca263e39589c811ebc3d300e035265.jpgs limited, for some reason).

Here is a not-very-distinct - but confirmed - photograph featured in "Riding to War", compiled from the letters of the late Lt.Col. Uloth by his sons. It shows:

1) the then Capt. Frank James (below), author of "Faraway Campaign", and

2) the then Lieut. Gerald Uloth ('Riding to War").

The latter was sitting on top of a stretcher-bearing camel, both officers having been wounded in the ambush which virtually ruined James's career. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

No feedback whatsoever?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Here are some MiDs for the East Persia Cordon, including not only Rex Dyer, but that to the deceased 5b0183f4d1134_SEPersiaMiDs.jpg.0a9fa28de6315d1573027800dd5bb395.jpgLieut Chalmers.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why or where this photo would have been taken of British RAMC personnel in Persia in 1916?

Persia-1916.thumb.JPG.417ec773cceebdd6252d6960a3b05c0c.JPG

The photographer was my Grandfather and it's not clear to me why they would be there.

Peter

There is a  mention of the 1916 period in Persia in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Norperforce, although most of the text is about later years 

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Norperforce

There was an Official History written Operations in Persia 1914-1919 by F. J. Moberly. H.M.S.O. 1987

(facsimile edition of a Confidential 1929 original)

Cheers

Maureen

11 hours ago, Maureene said:

There is a  mention of the 1916 period in Persia in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Norperforce, although most of the text is about later years 

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Norperforce

There was an Official History written Operations in Persia 1914-1919 by F. J. Moberly. H.M.S.O. 1987

(facsimile edition of a Confidential 1929 original)

Cheers

Maureen

Thank You Maureen.

I should add that I can place him deployed and working on a Hospital Ship by December 1916 so whatever they were doing there, his part (at least) was finished by the end of the year.  I just found a copy of Moberly's book in a University library 100 miles away. So, looks like I need to take a road trip.

Peter

19 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

There may be something of relevence in the Medical Services, General History Vol 4 which is available on archive. org here

Charlie, Thanks to you I already have all 4 volumes and I am reading Volume 4 now ... 

Peter