Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sewell VC locations

Gareth Davies

I am trying to trace the route taken by Cecil Sewell and his Whippets on 29 Aug.  I can find the quarry in H.14.d.4.3 that they reached at 2pm on the afternoon of 29 Aug.  The WD then says "On reaching the railway line in H.18.c, in advance of our infantry, enemy batteries and machine guns opened heavy fire on the Section".  The problem is that I can't find a railway in H.18.c.  I can find one in the map square directly to the south (H.24.a) but not in H.18.c.  The railway line is important as the embankment is where Lt Rees-Williams's tank overturned - it was for the action to rescue R-W and his crew that Cecil Sewell was (posthumously) awarded the VC.  

The picture is from a July 1918 trench map.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 16.27.35.png

I can't see a railway in H13c.  

I am not sure what you are seeing that I am not seeing. 

Get in your tank in H18c and drive east 800 or 900 yards and you run into a branchline, heading north, out of the main line emanating from H24a. My thought was simply that there was a mistake in transcribing the WD (not unheard of, 18 becoming 13, and H being I). It fits the geography.

Ah. That's I.13.c (as opposed to H.13.c). 

It was your H.13.c in post #2 that confused me.

Sorry, I meant I.13.c. It might give a plausible explanation though. I know I can barely read some of the typewritten WDs, let alone the handwritten ones. And I've found several errors where adjoining (cooperating) units write different things.

It's certainly possible. I don't have the original WD to hand, just a transcript.

Hi Gareth,

H15c is also a possible transcription error - the woods west of the village and trench lines there might well be the enemy position.  There is a railway line south of the monument which the tanks could have crossed.  However - this isn't near enough to Fremicourt!

Sewell was buried in H24.a.5.8. along with Pte Knox, 3rd Tank Corps, until they were reburied at Vaulx (according to CWGC).  They are near the railway south of H18.  The map reference may be deliberately vague / incorrect as the diary/report may have been filled in later without the correct details being know or having been 'best guesses'.  I would be surprised if he was moved too far away from where he was killed if he was killed outright.   

I've a note to look up the details and locations for Sewell at some stage as he's of interest to me for different reasons.  Sewell was one of the 4 x Royal Fusiliers UPS men who went on to win the VC with other regiments/corps.  

I have his officer file from Kew if it helps.

Regards

Colin

Edited by Colin W Taylor

I don't think it's there Colin but thanks for looking.  And thanks for the extra detail.  I have had a dig around (I should have looked earlier but I am man down with flu and so not thinking straight) and looked at the Bn history - it places the railway SE of Beugnatre so the likely candidates are I.13 or H.24.

May I get a copy of his file please?

I'd agree H15 is duff but I'd suggest H24 is likely based on his burial.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delayed response.  Yes, I think H24 makes sense. Coming from the north?

Gareth,

I think I've got your gmail address; I'll send you the files by wetransfer.

I hope they are of use.

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you Colin.

Got them Colin, they are of use, thank you.

Gareth

I've been following this with interest. I looked on SDGW for his Unit and found a link to UK VC Medals which showed his Unit as 3 Lt Bn Tank Corps. There were also photographs and a brief account of his actions. I was at Kew yesterday so I looked up the WD (WO 95/104/6). No maps but pages 84 and 85 had a typed account by the OC Lt Col Walker - Bell which started that a section of tanks were ordered to clear the front of the NZ 3 Rifle Brigade before Fremicourt and the Bapaume - Cambrai road. 

"On reaching the raillway line S E of Beugnatre in advance of our infantry enemy batteries and machine guns opened heavy fire on the section of Whippets. In manoeuvring to avoid the fire and retain formation car A 233 commanded by Lt O L Rees - Williams side slipped in a deep crater and turned completely upside down catching fire at the same time".

It then goes on to explain that Lt Sewell in car A 253 upon seeing the plight came with a shovel and dug down to a hatch. He was hit by machine gun fire and his body was found beside that of 95674 Gnr Knox W. There is also a brief note by Lt Rees - Williams that he and his men could not have got out of their upturned tank without assistance fron outside.

I also had a look in the WD of 3 Brigade Tank Corps (WO 95/105).

So the account puts the railway line S E of Beugnatre which must be the one in H 24 a.

Brian. 

Edited by brianmorris547

Thanks Brian.  It was the WDs that you refer to that started off my quest although strictly speaking WO 95/104 isn't the WD, it's the Bn history.  The WD is WO 95/106. 

Edited by Gareth Davies

It's interesting how the WD and the history are slightly different.  The first photo is from the WD, the second is from the history.

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.23.56.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.24.53.png