Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Conrad Graf Reichenbach

Heinrich von Reichenbach

I grew up on an 18th century estate here in the Netherlands. The cellars of the mansion were flooded, and as a 5-year old I was convínced there were crocodiles living there (!), and "there must be a tunnel linking our estate to the next-door-neighbour's castle".

The mansion in question has been demolished since, so....

But..... in a children's book published in 1939 ("Adriaan en Olivier") written by someone who lived at that neighbour's castle at that time, one of the characters living in the castle gets engaged to the noble lady living in "our house"!

How much more evidence do you want? By the way, there's no mention of any tunnel in that book, but hey, wé know better, yeah?

It's how legends work, not withstanding actual facts, they become the ultimate truth after years and years.

Nevertheless, I dó hope you find evidence of the tunnel! And if nothing comes to it, it's still a great story! :)

Edited by JWK

@Mati,

forget about tunnels from elswhere to somewhere. This is nonsense. What should they had been good for? It's all fairytale.

The connection between the palace and the evangelian churc was given by a sidewing og the palace that was connected to the orangerie building which was connected to the church. The intact rococo orangerie building had been destroyed by the Polish people, obviously to obtain building material for the reconstruction of Warszawa. There are only remaining of the front foundation wall left.

A 4-km-long tunnel between Goschütz and Festenberg castle would have been senseless. Even a small size tunnel of 1.5 x 0,8 m cross section would have required the excavation of 4.800 m³ soil and rock material with a bulk density between 1.7 and 2.5 (thus minimum 8.160 to 12.000 metric tonnes debris). - My ancestors and other inhabitants of both castles preferred to walk or to drive above ground.

The brick and wall constructions being mentioned ans photographed might be residues of water fountains, or from outdoor stables (Vorwerke) like the "Vorwerk Schodrok" or the "Vorwerk Gütel" between Goschütz and Festenberg. It seems to me that the oak avenue being photographed is the one of the "Gütel".

No, please believe me: The Counts of Rreichenbach did not waste money by digging useless tunnels but preferred to do much digging work in order to cultivate and to convert swamps to ponds for fishbreeding.

Regards

Heinrich

@HenrykNiemiecki _szkoda, że to tylko legenda 😔. nigdy nie słyszałem o tych zewnętrznych stajniach

Znalazłem inne informacje o Conradzie. Podam link i będziesz mógł przetłumaczyć Henryka z tłumaczem.just copy the text and use google translator

https://polska-org.pl/9011004,Hans_v_Warnsdorff_z_Zablocia_pow_boleslawiecki__slaski_uczen_Giordano_Bruno_wlasciciel_Piersna.html

Podam też link do kanału YT, na który niedługo otrzymam materiał z zamku w Gosczu ogłoszony na Facebooku https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLimAhINQ8f7t5vbKJ5Q1Vwg0mtBszgi9D

Zrzut ekranu_2022-01-13-12-50-36-795_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Edited by Mati

@HenrykNiemiecki

"Conrad v. Reichenbach war einer der vier Söhne von Heinrich v. Reichenbach und v. Nimptsch-Rürsdorf, von denen nur zwei die Volljährigkeit erreichten, er und Caspar (er starb 1568 in Schweidnitz). Piersno und Stoszów erhielten seine erste Frau, die Tochter von Nicolas v. Waldin (Waldau), auf Stus und N.N. v. Gellhorn. Vielleicht handelt es sich um Nickel v. Waldau von Schönfeld, den in den Jahren 1559-1564 erwähnten Starosten von Kąty Wrocławskie / Canth, der Gärten in Piersno kaufte (1564). Sein Grabstein (oder Epitaph) von 1568 befand sich ebenfalls in Piersno, ebenso wie der Grabstein des Kindes von Asmann v. Waldau († 1596). Conrads zweite Frau überlebte und heiratete erneut Christoph Heinrich v. Bess und Ketzerdorf (Karłowice, Kreis Oppeln).

In Piersno wurden die Grabsteine von Conrad, seiner ersten Frau Barbara und ihren vier unbekannten Kindern an der Kirchenwand angebracht (die Platten waren Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts unleserlich). Sie sind sekundär zu einer Art Epitaph zusammengefügt worden, aber sie sind nicht das ursprüngliche Ganze! Unter der Friedhofsmauer wiederum befinden sich Fragmente mit Wappenfolgen, die von dem großen Epitaph des Ehepaares stammen, dessen oberer und unterer Teil nun über den Figurenplatten eingelassen sind. Es gibt auch Fragmente eines anderen (?) Bildepitaphs mit der Szene des Jüngsten Gerichts, und im Inneren der Kirche ist das Wappenschild seiner Tochter Margarethe (1599) in den Boden eingelassen."

Stellt sich heraus, dass Conrad zwei Gräber hat?

Henryk, wissen Sie etwas über das Reichsarbeitsdienstlager in Goschutz?  Vielleicht haben Sie einige historische Fotos von Goschutz, der Burg und anderen, die Sie teilen möchten?  wenn etwas unverständlich klingt, ist das Wörterbuch schuld 🤷

IMG_20220114_202324.jpg

Oboz_Sluzby_Pracy_Rzeszy_w_Goszczu_dawny_Goszcz_6854739.jpg

IMG_20220114_205246.jpg

Screenshot_2022-01-14-20-58-31-333_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Mati
I do not know much about the "Reichsarbeitsdienstlager". I know that with the approaching end of the war there were such Lager in Goschütz as well, as in neighbour villages. My father and my uncle (aged 15 and 16) had been drafted for service in the Reichsarbeitsdienst but both had to work and to stay in areas around Goschütz, not in their environment they were familiar with. Background of the use was the so-called "Unternehmen Barthold" (Barthold venture): Civilians and Reichsarbeitsdienst had to dig anti tank trenches - a useless and stupid measure that had been without any inhibiting or delaying effect upon the advance of the Russians. The diggers had to rest and to sleep under very primitive circumstances in temporary quarters, mainly in barns and stables.

Regards

• 2 years later...