Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
greenland hill

8th Black Watch between April 15 and May 10, 1917.

greenland hill

Hello,

I seek to reconstruct the course of the 8th Black Watch between April 15 and May 10, 1917, during the 3rd battle of Arras. This battalion was part of the 26th brigade, 9th division Scottish.

In this period, May 3, an attack took place with the goal of "Greenland Hill". 2 battalions attacked at the same time, the 5th Cameron and the 8th Black Watch.

I have the course of 5th Cameron, I miss the 8th, to carry on a map their course between the dates mentioned above.

I live in France,  near the Greenland Hill position, and I am in contact with a Scottish friend whose great-grandfather was killed and disappeared on May 3rd during this attack.

Thank you very much and especially thank you for him.

GH

Wauchope's History is available online Click

Mike

greenland hill

Hello Mike,

Fantastic!!!!!

A big thank you for this link, I have all the necessary information to reconstruct the course of this battalion.
Is there the same for 5th Cameron? These two battalions were together during the attack of May 3 at 3:45 in the morning.
Thanks again
cordially
GH

There is a History of the 9th (Scottish) Division by John Ewing (not available on line) which should be useful Click

Don't know of a history of the 5th Battalion Cameron Highlanders.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Actually it is online but I can't get this to work, for some reason. It might for you? Click

Mike

Maureene
10 hours ago, Skipman said:

Actually it is online but I can't get this to work, for some reason. It might for you? Click

I was able to access the link, but I had to click on a Flash icon and enable Flash. I use Safari , where Flash is installed, but you have to enable it for specific applications. Perhaps the same applies to you, Mike, but it's not obvious, or you don't have Flash.

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: This book is also available online from the British Library 

http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81055/vdc_100022558494.0x000002

Read online, or download.

Edited by Maureene

Excellent, thanks Maureene. Yes it's a Flash issue. I think I got it to open with Chrome a while back, will try again.

Mike