Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Moreuil Wood Centenary - Anyone over next week?

caulkheader

March 30th 2018 will be the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Cavalry Charge at Moreuil Wood. The action where Flowerdew won his VC.

There is a programme of events including a re-enactment of the Cavalry Charge, and a freedom parade in the town
Anyone else planning to be there?

there will be a large contingent of LDSH personnel attending regular force and vets and dignitaries, wish I could attend 

22 hours ago, mva said:

Hello from the Somme,

I could pop in (as I live 15 km away). And you ?

kind regards, Martine

Moreuil Wood les 30 & 31 mars 2018 – Avrelucenoye.pdf

Hello Martine

Yes, some of us are coming over, we will be in Moreuil on the Friday & Saturday for much of the commemorations. We have a wreath to lay on behalf of the Isle of Wight Council [Jack Seely was an Island man]. Come and say 'Bonjour'.

14 hours ago, robins2 said:

there will be a large contingent of LDSH personnel attending regular force and vets and dignitaries, wish I could attend 

Hello Bob
I know you will be with us in spirit!
We will take plenty of photos between us, so will forward any that may be of interest.

Regards
Toby

4 hours ago, caulkheader said:

Hello Martine

Yes, some of us are coming over, we will be in Moreuil on the Friday & Saturday for much of the commemorations. We have a wreath to lay on behalf of the Isle of Wight Council [Jack Seely was an Island man]. Come and say 'Bonjour'.

Hello Bob
I know you will be with us in spirit!
We will take plenty of photos between us, so will forward any that may be of interest.

Regards
Toby

thank you, look forward to the photos

Martine
Not sure where we will lay the wreath yet, there seems to be a choice either at the wood memorial on the Friday, or at freedom parade on the Saturday. We are waiting to hear back for confirmation fro our contact in Moreuil.

We will not be visiting Flowerdew this time, but have done so before. [see piccie].  If you recognise us from the photo, come and say hello.

Toby

1184.JPG

hello, sorry, I won't be there, as I have to be on another commemoration, in Grivesnes at the same time

But be assured I'll think of Moreuil wood - and of all the other battles, and of all those horses who had to die there

kind regards, martine

https://somme18.com/2018/01/01/demuin-mars-18/

Well, who was there ? Pics, videos, or ....

kind regards from here, martine

13 hours ago, mva said:

Well, who was there ? Pics, videos, or ....

kind regards from here, martine

Actually, quite a few of us. I will post a couple of pics when I am home and reccovered!

Apparently, a video of the charge is already on the Strathconas facebook page.

T

ps

Martine, the patisserie in Montdidier was just as inviting as on previous visits, yum yum!

Here's a couple of tasters then;

1] Patrick Seely [grandson of Jack Seely] greeting 'Flowerdew VC'.

2] Part of the charge

3] Reading of the account of battle

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

more when you get time

thanks

8 hours ago, robins2 said:

more when you get time

thanks

Bob

pm me your address and i will send you a flash drive, only about 300 photos of the weekend taken between us!

Toby

I am just back from the Moreuil Wood commemoration. My Grandfather, John Stanley Price was the Sqn Sgt Maj of C Squadron. Lord Strathcona Horse (RC) at the battle. I am keen to find the DCM he was awarded for his bravery that day, as well as the MM he was awarded at Guyencourt. If anyone can help me to trace them, and his British War Medal and Victory Medals I would be most grateful. 

4 hours ago, Spindrift said:

I am just back from the Moreuil Wood commemoration. My Grandfather, John Stanley Price was the Sqn Sgt Maj of C Squadron. Lord Strathcona Horse (RC) at the battle. I am keen to find the DCM he was awarded for his bravery that day, as well as the MM he was awarded at Guyencourt. If anyone can help me to trace them, and his British War Medal and Victory Medals I would be most grateful. 

you might want to check with the LdSH museum on the off chance they may have them

regards

Bob R.

• 4 months later...