Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM and MM Citations

Roberto1916

Hello I'm trying to find the citations to these medal recipients: DCM Recipient Company Sergeant Major J. Bartlett  Service No.G/3841 Unit 17th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, DCM Recipient Sergeant W. E. Packard Service No.104908 Unit Machine Gun Corps (Infantry), MM Recipient Sergeant A. G. Young  Service No.10105 Unit 4th Dragoon Guards (Royal Irish), MM Recipient Sergeant H. E. Long  Service No.11159 Unit 121st Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.

Roberto,

You should find the DCM citations in the London Gazette.

Here's Bartlett's.

The M.M. citations don't exist, only their date of gazetting is in the L.G.
The best ways to find the reasons they were awarded is in the local newspaper to the recipient, war diaries or btn/regimental histories.

Cheers,
Derek.

There is a huge post on the British medal forum with hundreds if not thousands of mm details from various sources. 

The 4th dragoon guards medal  is rare , do you have it ?

Edited by Coldstreamer
typo

Walter Packard was awarded the D.C.M. whilst serving with 1st Bn. East Surrey Regt. before he was transferred to the M.G.C. In the Gazette his name is spelt 'Packhard', his medal index card states 'Packard'

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29212/supplement/6395

Edit to add: C.S.M. Bartlett's D.C.M. was awarded for his conduct at Bois-en-Hache on 12 April 1917. Bois-en-Hache is near Vimy.

Bartlett, CSM 3841, J., DCM citation and action.JPG

Edited by HarryBrook

the link for the BMF is here

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys Really Appreciate That

• 6 months later...

Hello Roberto 1916.

Just to let you know that, I had just gone onto, Google and typed in my Grandfather's details and saw your request. Very suprised.

Now, I'm a new member of the, Great war Forum.

All the previous info is correct, by others. Just to let you know that I am the Grandson of, H.E.Long. MM. 11159. 121 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.

Question. What is the reason for your reserch? I would like to know. 

Ah what a coincidence well I was photographing some war graves at a local cemetery and I came across his grave and the fact he had MM engraved on his grave intrigued me so I wanted to know what this meant eventual I found out it was a medal and then I requested for his citiation.

H.E.Long.JPG

• 3 months later...

Already asked for you :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know the Citation?

He was the Regt. Cook Sjt in 1914. He progressed up the Administrative side.

finished as WO2. In Russia.  I have a photo of the Cooks taken in 1912.

SWB for kidney stones which caused his posting from Italy to France then the UK in 1918. 

3846 Sq.Qm.Sjt Horace Allaby 4th Dragoon Guards. Inscribed on the MM.

Thanks Nic

DF48E0D4-B64E-4387-97E1-7A8E5605891D.jpeg

H. F. Allaby's MM is listed on the first page of the London Gazette of 11 Oct. 1916: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29780/supplement/9827

Service no. 3486. MM for France - Schedule no. 33231 - MM Index Card image TNA Ref. WO-372-23-72446

The citations were destroyed. The war diary or a newspaper report may mention his award.

It may have been a July 1916 (Somme) award? That gazette also included some retrospective awards for early 1916 or even 1915.

WD: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14016511 OR https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14016510

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 19.49.18.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thanks Ivor 

Yes maybe there’s a newspaper article out there, also the Regt. Diary might throw up something.

Take care Nic

This is one of 12 MMs awarded on the 11.10.16. Schedule to the 4/DGs. They are followed by awards to the 9th Lancers (14) and the 18th HRS (15) These are retrospective awards for Ypres in 1915(April?) (slight possibility for Nov 1914) I think they would carry citations for general awards for good work 1914/15 and early 1916. You need to look in the records of the units of the 2nd Bde 2nd Cav Div when operating/co-operating in heavy actions. best w,   HOWARD

Thanks Howard. Your gazette summary lists are invaluable. There are a large number of awards to various Dragoon Guard units in that LG.

The retrospective awards are a real needle in a haystack search, given that there may not be any named WD mention. I suppose the Division's A&QMG diaries may have a list. I've found divisional WD lists of retrospective awards at the end of October 1916 for that gazette, which does not add much information other than confirm that they were retrospective.

EDIT: Found them mentioned in the 4th DG war diary- presentations 10 December 1916 - WD page attached below (TNA).

Best wishes with your ongoing publication schedule. Hopefully there is something imminent? Ivor

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 07.01.17.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional information

Well done Ivor, Missing from the War Diary list are : CPL L S BULL MGCoy late 4/DG /R E WORRALL/W. LOCKE/;JONES AND YOUNG not on this Schedule. best w, Howard

Thanks to all, I also have Sjt Stevens MM.

Nic

AF3A0069-C11E-4AF4-9D1E-DB4781749866.jpeg

Edited by Nicpt77