Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capbadge ID

Nick seal

Yes. It will be.

Leeds seem to have given each voter in a district was given a "voter number" (my description). I have seen the same appear on other AVLs. The seven absent voters for Cross Chancellor Street were give numbers 787, 788, 789 (Chadwick), 790, 791, 792 & 793. Rather than put the street address down for all of them they gave the cross references in another document - a bit overly complicated really.

Steve.

Name:F

Surname:Chadwick

Index Number of Admission:2153

Service Number:20776

Years Service:1 year 1 month

Months With Field Force:3 months

Ailment:Bronchial catarrh

Date of Admission for Original Ailment:19/05/1916

Date Transferred to Other Hospitals:24/05/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column:No. 43 Casualty Clearing Station.

Name:F

Surname:Chadwick

Index Number of Admission:297

Service Number:20776

Years Service:10 months

Months With Field Force:1 month

Ailment:Bronchial Catarrh

Date of Admission for Original Ailment:08/04/1916

Date Transferred to Other Hospitals:12/04/1916

Notes written in the Observations Column:5th Divisional Rest Station.

3 minutes ago, Stebie9173 said:

Yes. It will be.

Leeds seem to have given each voter in a district was given a "voter number" (my description). I have seen the same appear on other AVLs. The seven absent voters for Cross Chancellor Street were give numbers 787, 788, 789 (Chadwick), 790, 791, 792 & 793. Rather than put the street address down for all of them they gave the cross references in another document - a bit overly complicated really.

Steve.

Cheers Steve, 

So we have found Frank!

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Fortunately the records of Robert Johnstone (23249 KOSB & 38515 KOYLI) survive which gives us a date for his transfer between the Regiments, 14 December 1916.

Link to transfers page on Ancestry:

Transfers page on above records

Robert Johnstone transferred to the 8th KOYLI at that point whilst still in France. 38501 Frank Chadwick's is likely to be at the same time.

Frank Chadwick's medal roll shows:

20776 KOSB, 2nd Battalion

38501 KOYLI, 8th Battalion

38501 KOYLI 9th Battalion

38501 KOYLI 1st Battalion

Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on 9 February 1919

Medal roll page

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Reckon the cap badge is KOSB or possibly Rifle Brigade it's definetly not KRRC as their cap badge is considerably smaller and has no wreath around it.

Edited by Keith Iles

Great teamwork by everyone in tracking him down.  I have never seen a KOSB badge as large as that which he seems to be wearing.  Interesting to see.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Ageed!

The invert of the photo, does appear to (well to me anyway) show the St Andrew's cross.

Yes, I think so.  There were larger sized badges from an earlier period, or maybe it is just a photographic phenomenon, although I would have expected distortion of other parts of the image too.

All - I cant thank you all enough and  am pretty humbled at your advice and help. 

My sister has been trying to solve this puzzle for 10 years and with your expert advice you've cracked it in a few days 

His KOSB number of 20779 suggests a July 1915 enlistment.

20731 John Piddie Wilson, a press worker from Dundee, enlisted at Kingsway, London on 6th July 1915.

20743 John Shaw, a labourer from Maxwelton, enlisted at Dumfries on 10th July 1915 before being posted to the 3rd Battalion KOSB on 12th July 1915.

20784 George Henry Byron, a cloth fuller from Batley, enlisted at Batley on 13th July 1915 before before being posted to the 3rd Battalion KOSB on 12th July 1915.

20786 Frank Newton, a miner from Normanton enlisted at Leeds on 12th July 1915 before joining the 3rd Battalion KOSB on 13th July 1915.

Although he doesn't have a 1914-15 Star, his illnesses in mid-1916 would suggest that he embarked overseas in early 1916.

I would suggest a rough time line of:

• About 12 July 1915 enlistment at Leeds
  • Posted to 3rd Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers at Portobello in Edinburgh within a week for training
  • Embarked overseas in Feb/Mar 1916 (based on 1 month with Field Force in April 1916, or 3 months in May 1916, 4 months in June 1916) and posted to "A" Company of 2nd Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers - part of 13th Brigade, 5th Division.
  • Admitted to 5th Division Rest Station on 9 April 1916
  • Possibly returned to 2nd Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers after a few days
  • Admitted to a Field Ambulance suffering from bronchial catarrh on 19 May 1916
  • Transferred from No. 43 Casualty Clearing Station on 24 May 1916
  • Transferred on No. 10 Ambulance Train to No.6 Convalescent Depot on 19 June 1916
  • Posted to an Infantry Base Depot (either from hospital or his infantry unit) at the coast later in 1916
  • Transferred to King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry whilst still in France on 14 December 1916.
  • Posted to 8th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
  • Later posted to 9th Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry -  some time in 1917 ?
  • Later posted to 1st Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry - some time in 1917 or 1918 ?
  • Demobilised on about 12 January 1919 (28 days before transfer to Reserve)
  • Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve on 9 February 1919

This is just a "possible". I am not 100% with interpreting the casualty reports as I haven't seen them in the flesh - the transfers from one hospital unit to another may be the other way round.

Steve.

Steve - that's absolutely amazing mate - I was trying to work out a rough timeline myself 

my mother was always told he died in 1922 as a long term result of the gas poisoning suffered in the trenches 

I wonder how that ties in with the hospital admittance ???