Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
rolyboy11

MAHENGE 1917.

rolyboy11

Steve, that's amazing!!  While I entirely agree with all this being inconclusive........ everything is fitting rather well....... age, dates, occupation, destination etc.   

Appears he was not emigrating, just going for a couple of years perhaps, but caught there by the war?   

Only puzzle is that his nationality is given as Prussian, not Austrian as we believed. His place of residence is Cunersdorf, Saxony? If his parents were German, living in Austria at the time of his birth, I suppose that could explain?.........

In which case his Oberjager rank could be German as well? All speculation at this stage but intriguing non the less. Presume 'pass' in military service box means he is not going on military duties?

As to the Rhenania, found this link which gives two ships both operated by Hamburg America Line. Presume the one built in 1904 in Germany is the vessel in question????

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=rhen2

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=rhen2

Rolyboy.

SteveE

All the information is certainly pointing towards it being the same man, granted there are a few inconsistencies but nothing too serious as to throw up major concerns.

I'm not entirely sure what the 'Pass' refers to in the "Military Service" box of the transcript, the original document doesn't say "Military Service" but translates (very loosely) to "For men between 17 and 25 years has Discharge Certificate or Testimony been submitted?"  I presume that the "Pass" to that question infers that he hadn't submitted such a document and that he would be subject to military service as and when called upon?

As for the Rhenania, I too would presume that the one built in 1904 is the correct vessel, the earlier Rhenanias having been sold off and renamed long before the one you've shown was even built.

Regards

Steve

rolyboy11

Just looking back at the GENI page on Martin Curdes. It shows his father as Georg Richard Wilhelm Curdes who was born in Magdeburg ........

www.geni.com/people/Georg-Curdes/6000000000796541396

So if ........ we are looking at the correct/same man, the case for which is building, this could be the reason Martin is listed as Prussian. The logical assumption would be then that his military service was in a Prussian Jager regiment, hence he was required to serve in the Schutztruppe as a reservist? This would fit with Steve's interpretation of the phrase 'pass' in the military service box. ie he was eligible to be called up. 

Rolyboy.

SteveE

I am firmly convinced that we are looking at the correct/same man.....

By coincidence there is another German Casualty List on Ancestry for November 1918 which shows a Georg Curdes, birthplace given as St. Stefan, Graz of 4 Kompagnie, Infanterie Regiment Nr. 335.  This Georg Curdes also has, what I assume is, a burial notice available which shows he died in June 1918 and was buried at Cunnersdorf, parents were a Richard Curdes (see below) and Anna Martha Curdes formerly Schubert and his birthplace was St. Stefan, Graz, Osterreich.

It would appear that the Richard Curdes mentioned on Georg's death notice is actually Georg Richard Wilhem Curdes as noted on the baptismal record of yet another son, Wilhelm (Dresden 1892) as mother's name is again given as Anna Martha Curdes formerly Schubert.

I would suggest therefore that Georg and Martin Curdes were both born in St. Stefan, Graz, Austria before the family moved to Dresden and had the third son, Wilhelm.  They then moved to Cunnersdorf from where Martin emigrated to East Africa and where Georg was later buried.

Steve

KONDOA

Very interesting thread.

Roop

rolyboy11

Steve, I am really pleased you are of the same mind. I just kept thinking this seems too much of a coincidence but your last post for me really seals it. 

Not sure if you already cross referenced with GENI site but it shows :

Martin as having 2 sisters Wanda and Luise, brother Georg (shown as Gefallen 1918 age 30) and 'private'. Presumably another sibling not named for whatever reason. This must be Wilhelm........No information at all on him on the site. 

The family seem to have moved all over the place as the sisters birth places are given as Warsaw and Kriebenthal (Not sure of where this is or was) Be interesting to know what the fathers occupation was that led to so much travelling.  Bottom line though is all this seems to fit perfectly............... 

Be interesting to know if Martin went back to Germany on his release, probably early 1919? or to back to Africa. It seems likely that he was not a well man at that point.

Does anybody know if any repatriation lists survive?  

Rolyboy.

SteveE
20 hours ago, rolyboy11 said:

Does anybody know if any repatriation lists survive?

I would be surprised if there wasn't such a list at some point in time, just where to look for it though isn't something I would have any idea about.  Perhaps that particular subject is a question for another thread elsewhere on the forum where it might attract people 'in the know' rather than in these dusty archives that is Sub-Saharan Africa?

Steve 

rolyboy11
4 hours ago, SteveE said:

I would be surprised if there wasn't such a list at some point in time, just where to look for it though isn't something I would have any idea about.  Perhaps that particular subject is a question for another thread elsewhere on the forum where it might attract people 'in the know' rather than in these dusty archives that is Sub-Saharan Africa?

Steve 

Steve, I know what you mean....... Africa was considered by many a 'backwater' then ....... and nothing changes!!  Many thanks again for your efforts so far which have been so informative, and any suggestions on where to go next would be much appreciated............... 

I am still hoping Holger may come up trumps and dig out some leads with the German forum.   

Rolyboy.