Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MAHENGE 1917.

rolyboy11

Steve, that's amazing!!  While I entirely agree with all this being inconclusive........ everything is fitting rather well....... age, dates, occupation, destination etc.   

Appears he was not emigrating, just going for a couple of years perhaps, but caught there by the war?   

Only puzzle is that his nationality is given as Prussian, not Austrian as we believed. His place of residence is Cunersdorf, Saxony? If his parents were German, living in Austria at the time of his birth, I suppose that could explain?.........

In which case his Oberjager rank could be German as well? All speculation at this stage but intriguing non the less. Presume 'pass' in military service box means he is not going on military duties?

As to the Rhenania, found this link which gives two ships both operated by Hamburg America Line. Presume the one built in 1904 in Germany is the vessel in question????

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=rhen2

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=rhen2

Rolyboy.

All the information is certainly pointing towards it being the same man, granted there are a few inconsistencies but nothing too serious as to throw up major concerns.

I'm not entirely sure what the 'Pass' refers to in the "Military Service" box of the transcript, the original document doesn't say "Military Service" but translates (very loosely) to "For men between 17 and 25 years has Discharge Certificate or Testimony been submitted?"  I presume that the "Pass" to that question infers that he hadn't submitted such a document and that he would be subject to military service as and when called upon?

As for the Rhenania, I too would presume that the one built in 1904 is the correct vessel, the earlier Rhenanias having been sold off and renamed long before the one you've shown was even built.

Regards

Steve

Just looking back at the GENI page on Martin Curdes. It shows his father as Georg Richard Wilhelm Curdes who was born in Magdeburg ........

www.geni.com/people/Georg-Curdes/6000000000796541396

So if ........ we are looking at the correct/same man, the case for which is building, this could be the reason Martin is listed as Prussian. The logical assumption would be then that his military service was in a Prussian Jager regiment, hence he was required to serve in the Schutztruppe as a reservist? This would fit with Steve's interpretation of the phrase 'pass' in the military service box. ie he was eligible to be called up. 

Rolyboy.

I am firmly convinced that we are looking at the correct/same man.....

By coincidence there is another German Casualty List on Ancestry for November 1918 which shows a Georg Curdes, birthplace given as St. Stefan, Graz of 4 Kompagnie, Infanterie Regiment Nr. 335.  This Georg Curdes also has, what I assume is, a burial notice available which shows he died in June 1918 and was buried at Cunnersdorf, parents were a Richard Curdes (see below) and Anna Martha Curdes formerly Schubert and his birthplace was St. Stefan, Graz, Osterreich.

It would appear that the Richard Curdes mentioned on Georg's death notice is actually Georg Richard Wilhem Curdes as noted on the baptismal record of yet another son, Wilhelm (Dresden 1892) as mother's name is again given as Anna Martha Curdes formerly Schubert.

I would suggest therefore that Georg and Martin Curdes were both born in St. Stefan, Graz, Austria before the family moved to Dresden and had the third son, Wilhelm.  They then moved to Cunnersdorf from where Martin emigrated to East Africa and where Georg was later buried.

Steve

Steve, I am really pleased you are of the same mind. I just kept thinking this seems too much of a coincidence but your last post for me really seals it. 

Not sure if you already cross referenced with GENI site but it shows :

Martin as having 2 sisters Wanda and Luise, brother Georg (shown as Gefallen 1918 age 30) and 'private'. Presumably another sibling not named for whatever reason. This must be Wilhelm........No information at all on him on the site. 

The family seem to have moved all over the place as the sisters birth places are given as Warsaw and Kriebenthal (Not sure of where this is or was) Be interesting to know what the fathers occupation was that led to so much travelling.  Bottom line though is all this seems to fit perfectly............... 

Be interesting to know if Martin went back to Germany on his release, probably early 1919? or to back to Africa. It seems likely that he was not a well man at that point.

Does anybody know if any repatriation lists survive?  

Rolyboy.

20 hours ago, rolyboy11 said:

Does anybody know if any repatriation lists survive?

I would be surprised if there wasn't such a list at some point in time, just where to look for it though isn't something I would have any idea about.  Perhaps that particular subject is a question for another thread elsewhere on the forum where it might attract people 'in the know' rather than in these dusty archives that is Sub-Saharan Africa?

Steve 

4 hours ago, SteveE said:

I would be surprised if there wasn't such a list at some point in time, just where to look for it though isn't something I would have any idea about.  Perhaps that particular subject is a question for another thread elsewhere on the forum where it might attract people 'in the know' rather than in these dusty archives that is Sub-Saharan Africa?

Steve 

Steve, I know what you mean....... Africa was considered by many a 'backwater' then ....... and nothing changes!!  Many thanks again for your efforts so far which have been so informative, and any suggestions on where to go next would be much appreciated............... 

I am still hoping Holger may come up trumps and dig out some leads with the German forum.   

Rolyboy.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Sorry for late reply. Let me try to continue with an update regarding the `knife holder´ Martin Curdes.

Within the last days I searched in the DKB (Deutsches Kolonial-Blatt) German Colonial Newspaper

for 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918 under the following key-words:

Curdes, MartinPflanzung-Nhallah, KilossaMission station SaliPastor Meiler, Magnus  

Except for the confirmation (which was already show from other source in this thread) of the captivity

of Martin Curdes and Magnus Meiler (pastor in Sali 1917) in DKB 1918, without any success.

Due to the helpful advice from SteveE about the exact departure of Curdes with the DOAL S.S.

"RHENANIA" on 14. January 1912 from Hamburg, at least his arrival in Daressalaam could be

found out. Curdes reached Daressalaam on 18. February 1912 as passenger of this steamer.

DOAZ (Deutsch Ost-Afrikanische Zeitung) German East-African Newspaper

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/list/title/zdb/23820457/

Original source: DOAZ - 3. February 1912 – page 7

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/index.php?id=dfg-viewer&set%5Bimage%5D=7&set%5Bzoom%5D=default&set%5Bdebug%5D=0&set%5Bdouble%5D=0&set%5Bmets%5D=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de%2Fzefys%2FSNP23820457-19120203-0-0-0-0.xml

01_Arrival of DOAL Rhenania in GEA - Kopie.png

Edited by Holger Kotthaus

Original source: DOAZ - 21. February 1912 – page 3

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/index.php?id=dfg-viewer&set%5Bimage%5D=3&set%5Bzoom%5D=default&set%5Bdebug%5D=0&set%5Bdouble%5D=0&set%5Bmets%5D=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de%2Fzefys%2FSNP23820457-19120221-0-0-0-0.xml

With regard to further results about the documents from the original archive in the Sali Mission station,

I have requested an application for access to the archives' files at St. Otttilien / Germany in August 2020.

http://www.katholische-archive.de/ArchivederOrden/ArchivederPriesterorden/Benediktiner(OSB)/SanktOttilien/Best%C3%A4nde%C3%BCbersicht(StOttilien)/tabid/341/Default.aspx

Will update you with results; - of course.

02_Passenger Curdes arrived on 18.2.1912 Daressalam - Kopie.png

With regard to further results about the documents from the original archive in the Sali Mission station,

I have requested an application for access to the archives' files at St. Otttilien / Germany in August 2020.

http://www.katholische-archive.de/ArchivederOrden/ArchivederPriesterorden/Benediktiner(OSB)/SanktOttilien/Best%C3%A4nde%C3%BCbersicht(StOttilien)/tabid/341/Default.aspx

Will update you with results; - of course.

Because of other activities next year, I have to shift the visit to the Sali Mission station in

Tanzania to 2022. Sometimes these on-site surveys will produce surprising results; - Inshallah

Original source: https://www.google.de/maps/dir/-8.9662079,36.6893574/-8.9650955,36.6870964/@-8.9654646,36.6883619,404m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Regarding the history of the 26. Field-Company, I will submit a brief summary of this story later.

Cheers Holger 

03_Location of Sali mission station.png

Sorry the downloaded and source are really not accurate, but sorry to say this:

The GWF are rally not up-to-date with these online procedures.

(Please give me an bank account number and I will transfer for every additional

picture € 5,- or maybe € 10,- on an bank account for an contemporary transfer,

sorry you are still usung the oldfashoned British Pound!)

Cheers Holger

Hello Holger ...... great to have you back on the case!!    Will be fantastic if all your research can bring up further new information. 

Ship 'log' details very interesting as it fits perfectly with all the other information...... 

Found a good picture postcard of the Rhenania. It has not been posted but used apparently to write a note of some form. Obviously this is not directly linked to Martin Curdes but possibly to someone travelling on the same ship?     Old style writing ...... Can anybody read/translate it?

Rolyboy

thumbnail (11).jpg

thumbnail (12).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Yes; indeed we collect a lot of additional background information; - but not uninterested.

Not much, but we can give up this source.

Regarding the given address: Plantation-Nhallah, Kilossa, I did not find the name

of this plantation or that of Martin Curdes in the 1913 GEA address directory.

I find only two Plantations in / around Kilossa.

Friedrich Hoffmann-Pflanzung, Kilossa

Sitz: Berlin, Kurfürstendamm 26a

Inhaber: Kgl. Reg.-Ballmeister a. D. Kurt Hoffmann.

Otto-Pflanzung, Kilossa. Gegründet ,1907

Inhaber: Kommerzienrat Heinrich Otto, Stuttgart. i. Fa. Heinrich Otto,

Reichenbach a. Fils; Fritz Engels, Fritz Robert Otto, i. Fa. Heinrich Otto &. Söhne,

Unterboichingen, Württbg.

Source: Address directory for GEA 1913 (44 pages - 7,13 Mb - pdf.) page 26 & 31

file:///C:/Users/Expert/AppData/Local/Temp/Adressbuch_Ostafrika_1913.pdf

Cheers Holger

Hello Holger,

Many thanks as always.   As you say a lot of background information but it all adds up. ......

A8550012-9875-4C1E-8B68-0A7AAB4E5CB8.jpeg

I wonder if Khallah was its original local name appearing possibly originally Arabic. The plantations/farms you have found are named after their German owners but could one also have been still known as Khallah to locals?? Just a thought ......

Rolyboy

• 1 year later...

Still picking away on this research, so going to refresh it in the hope of further leads. So much success through the many contributions, managing to identify, and put together some amazing information on Martin Curdes.  One area I have really struggled to get anywhere with though is The 26th Field Company in which he served  - Have some detail in 1917 but can find nothing of its early war history, where/when  was it raised, movements 1914 - 17 etc. Think Holger said he might have some information on them?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as always.

Rolyboy.

Rolyboy,

Thanks for remembering about my commitment; - you are absolutely right; - give me a few days and I'll be happy to come back to this on this weekend; - I have to rummage through some of my own sources first.

Regards Holger

Hello Holger, 

Many apologies for the late reply,  I have been away for a few days. That would be great if you have some information on the 26th.  Not been able to find any mention of them except for the small comment re 1917, as I said.

Many thanks,

All the best,

Rolyboy.

Rolyboy; - I understand; - no problem.

Due to Corona, home office and Christmas break, I have a little more time to devote myself to your interesting topic.

Here a list of what I like to add as further backgrounds to the topic MAHENGE 1917, or would take up again.

INDEX:

1.)   History, battle-list and path of the 26. Field Company within the GEA-campaign from 1915 to 1917.

2.)   Detail update Private M. Curdes and biographical list of Lieutenant J. Zingel, Commander 26. F.K.

3.)   Diary records from Pastor M. Meiller, Sali Mission Station and handover around Mahenge 10/1917.

4.)   Further results about the research of the Origin of M. Curdes folding knife.(?)

Regards Holger

Holger,

Thank you as always for your help and interest. 

Yes you certainly outline intriguing key areas.

Interesting you talk of 26 Komp. 1915 - 1917.     Later formation date than I thought.

I remember you saying you were hoping to visit Sali at some point and that you requested access to files for St Ottilien.

I have searched for further information on the knife but have only found refs. to the one similar example that I think I sent you as a PM?    

Best wishes,

Rolyboy.

6 hours ago, rolyboy11 said:

Interesting you talk of 26 Komp. 1915 - 1917.     Later formation date than I thought.

A British Intelligence Report of 21st December 1916, in the East African General Staff War Dairy (NA Ref. WO 95/5292/1_2), has a document attached which gives the formation date of 26 Field Company as 3rd February 1915.  It states that it was formed with a strength of 9 Europeans and 146 Askaris and was, in August 1915, stationed at Muansa.
Another document dated 21st December 1916 in the same Intelligence Report gives the then known location of the 26th Field Company as "Mahenge Area" with "Zingel" as the officer in command.

The formation date of the 26th Field Company came from a captured German document, believed by the Intelligence Services to be complete, but it will be interesting to see how well that compares with other available German sources which Holger has access to.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you yet again for your help and interest.  Another piece of the jigsaw that certainly seems to fit with what Holger was suggesting. As you say, be interesting if his sources confirm that date. 

Work, family commitments and then COVID took my eye off the ball for quite a while. I must take up your suggestion of raising the issue of repatriation lists on one of the other threads..... Any best guesses as to which, in your experience, might hit the mark?

Rolyboy.

1.) The 26. Field Company; - the “Bomba tatu” of the `Schutztruppe´ in GEA 1/1915 - 09/1917

PART I

Two factors were unique to this Company:

I. – Exceptional name of the Company. The NCO Ascan R. Lutteroth, member of the 26. F.K., explained: – “What means now this strange name of the 26.F.-K.? When, shortly before the war, coming from home, the cruiser "Koenigsberg" appeared for the first time in the port of Daressalaam, a general murmur went around, as a great respect from the locals: “Bomba tatu!” - “Three chimneys at once! “That was something unique and unprecedented. Even the newest and most magnificent passenger steamers on the German East- Africa-Line showed only one single chimney. “Bomba tatu!” This proud memory from Daressalaam was now carried with the 26. F.-K. as a warlike symbol. It is the only Company in the entire `Schutztruppe´ that has been given such a fancy name.”

The background for this is, that the 26. F.K. emerged from the Police Detachment in Morogoro and Dodoma and further Askari reservists from Daressalaam, and some of these locals had previously seen this well-known German light cruiser “Koenigsberg” in the harbour of the capital city. Because of this special impression of something extraordinary, they transferred this name, as a sign of strength to their own unit; - it could be said as a "Dawa" (magic medicine).

II. – The leadership of the Company. Lt. Joseph Zingel was commander of this Company from the beginning 01/1915 until its dissolution, 09/1917. This was also a unique situation at the 26. F.K. within the `Schutztruppe´. Every other Company or Detachment changed the commanders several times during the war time. For this reason, the biographical stations of Lt. Zingel are also identical with the battle places of the 26. F.K. Lt. Zingel was from November 1914 commander of the unit, which was then still known as the 'Police-Detachment-Morogoro' and was renamed since January 1915, as 26. Field Company.  

The 26. F.K. was, apart from a short interruption, from September 1915 to September 1917, part of the `Detachment Ruanda-Wintgens-Naumann´. This Detachment / Battalion was the most homogeneous and one of the most effective unit of the whole `Schutztruppe´. His well-known commander, Capt. Max Wintgens; - a dominant and energetic military leader; - because of his abilities, he was very respected by his subordinates and the Companies he commanded; - notorious and feared by the respective opponent. As a result, most of the time there was only talk and written of the `Detachment Wintgens´ during movements and fights. The subordinate companies are difficult to 'filter out' even in the records and difficult to identify even in the war diary records. The participation of the 26. F.K. could only be specified in individual cases on the basis of biographical information from members of the individual Companies in the table below. For this reason, all actions of the department are listed below, also to complete the whole picture even if this is not necessarily related to Oberjaeger M. Curdes.

III. – Battle list and path of the Company.

03.08.1914 – The previous unit of the 26.F.K, the `Police Detachment Morogoro´ consisted of 2 Police Master-Sergeants and 69 Police Askari at the start of the war in East Africa.

04.11.1914 – During the defence against the British attack on Tanga, the unit remains in Morogoro due to a lack of training and equipment.

12.11.1914Lt. Zingel takes over the command of the Detachment, which were brought to an approximate strength of 200 rifles by Askari of the `Police Detachment Dodoma´ (2 Police Master-Sergeants and 60 Police Askari), as well as further reservists from Daressalaam. The unit is still in education and training.

14.11.1914 – The unit, now called `Detachment Zingel´, forms with the 18. + 24. F.K. the Detachment of Capt. von Kornatzki. This Detachment should repel further British attacks from Daressalaam on this port city.

18.11.1914 – The `Detachment Zingel` is renamed in 26.F.K., by order of the Commando, but remains under the leadership of Lt. Zingel and is transferred to Tabora for further equipment. The relatively late point in time for the official company status was due to the fact that the company numbered 26 was one of the last of the 30 field companies listed numerically.

19.03.1915 – After equipping with weapons, which were captured by the `Schutztruppe´ in Tanga, General-Major Kurt Wahle ordered the 26. F.K. to march from Tabora to Muansa on Lake Victoria.

07.04.1915 – The 26. F.K. is subordinated to Capt. Friedrich von Haxthausen's Detachment in Muansa. The Commando orders the company to use at least 350 rifles and 2 M.G. upgrade. The Company is to be deployed in front of Shirati on Lake Victoria against further British raids from BEA.

April-July 1915 – The 26. F.K. is used within the Detachment of Capt. Friedrich Braunschweig in several advances and counter-attacks across the Mara River, to defend the eastern area at Lake-Victoria.

29.07.1915Lt. Zingel receives order from the Commando to march with the 26. F.K. to Tabora. From there they travelled on the Central Railway to Kigoma on Lake Tanganyika. The newly commissioned steamer “Goetzen” transports the unit to the German base Usumbura at the northern end of the lake. The march then continued along the Russissi border river through Urundi to the northern end of Lake Kivu to Kissenji in Ruanda.

30.08.1915 – The 26. Field Company arrives Kissenji in in Northwest Ruanda. This reinforcement is urgently needed against the overwhelming superiority of the Belgian 'Force Publique'. The 'Detachment Rwanda' under its Commander, Capt. Wintgens (He was also Military Com. of Rwanda), has been the only unit in the far north-west of Rwanda since the beginning of the war. The unit is constantly engaged in heavy defensive combat and withdrew in the second half of 1915 to the southwest to prepared positions behind the Ssebeja River.

September 1915 – The strength of this Detachment of the `Schutztruppe´, now called `Detachment Wintgens´, is 62 Europeans and 524 Asakri (Ruanda A, B, C-Company and 26. F.K. The Ruanda C-K. has only 68 recruits on September 4th, 1915 and will be disbanded at the beginning of 1916.) The opposing Belgian units of the `Force Publique´, under the command of Lt.-Col. Josué Henry, comprise over 3,250 rifles (XIII., IX., X., XI. and XII. Battalion)

27.11.1915 – The 26. F.K is involved in the battle around the Tschansargwe, a solitary standing Mountain, north-east of the Ssebeja position. Parts of the 7. F.K. was involved; - the unit was send on 25.10.1915 from the quit Bukoba front as further reinforcement for Ruanda. The enemy are several companies of the X. Belgian Battalion. The opponents, in the, for the `Schutztruppe´ successful fight, were several companies of the X. Belgian Battalion.

12.12.1915 – After the aborted attacks on Belgian positions west of the Russissi River, the 23.F.K. and 25. F.K. were ordered by Gen.-M. Wahle from Urundi to Rwanda, to support the `Detachment Wintgens´, which was involved in the fierce fighting

21.12.1915 – The Belgian Maj. Bataille attacked with 1,350 Rifles (Parts of the IX., XI. and XII. Battalions) of the `Force Publique´ the Kissi Mountain, north of the Nyondo Mission. The Defenders with 350 Rifles of the `Detachment Wintgens´ (Parts of the 7.F.K., 26. F.K. and the Ruanda A-K.), succeed to throw the opponent back in an energetic counterattack.

01.01.1916 – The 'Detachment Wintgens' has reached its greatest strength with 1,347 rifles: Rwanda A-K. 1st Lt. Steffens – I – Rwanda B-K. Lt. Lang (Total: 41 Europeans, 159 Askari, 279 Ruga-Ruga, 3 M.G.) – I – 7. F.K. 1st Lt. von Linde-Suden (22 Europeans, 200 rifles, 2 M.G.) – I – 23. F.K. Capt. Klinghardt (16 Europeans, 200 rifles, 2 M.G.) – I – 25. F.K. 1st Lt. Mueller (15 Europeans, 198 Askari, 2 M.G.) – I – 26. F.K. Lt. Zingel (17 Europeans, 200 Askari, 2 M.G.) These 1,347 rifles on the German side were opposed by 470 Europeans and 6,850 Askari on the Belgian side. (This does not include British troops with further 1,400 Rifles deployed in Uganda, since 06.12.1915, five Companies 4. K.A.R. and Uganda-Police-Field-Battalion and 27th Mountain Battery, at the border area of Rwanda and Bukoba districts.)

12.01.1916 – parts of the 7. F.K. and 26. F.K. advance from Nyondo again across the Ssebeja-River and attack successfully enemy positions in the east; an enemy column is torn apart. Capt. Wintgens marches then with the 25. F.K. to the northeast, while the parts of the 7. F.K. and 26. F.K. return again.

16.01.1916 – Belgian troops extend the front in the north further and further east and try to outflank the `Schutztruppe´. The 7. F.K., 26. F.K. and a further mixed unit were drawn by Capt. Wintgens to the northeast area of Rwanda. The 26. F.K. attacks successfully two Belgian Companies south of the Karrisimbi-Mountain at Lake Karago. The 7. F.K. fends off the following counterattack by a third Belgian company and pushes this enemy back.

Feb.+ March 1916 – Constant trench warfare and defence against Belgian attacks on the Ssebeja position with individual advances by patrols and raiding parties. Massive reinforcement of the `Force Publique´ in Ruanda and Urundi.

13.04.1916 – Due to the increasing threat to the Kilimanjaro Front, the 23. F.K. and 25. F.K. withdrawn from Rwanda and sent to Arusha District. Furthermore, the 7. F.K is subordinate on April 15th to the Detachment of Maj. von Langenn-Steinkeller in Urundi. The `Detachment Wintgens´ has now a strength of three Companies with 55 Europeans and 600 Askari (Rwanda A- and B-Companies, 26 F.K.)

20.04.1916 – General Belgian attack in Rwanda and Burundi. The Capt. Wintgens with a strength of 3 Companies and 650 rifles faces the entire northern brigade under Col. Molitor with 5,770 rifles. (3. and 4. Regiment with, VIII., IX., X., XI., XII. and XIII. Battalion)

11.05.1916 – Last defence of Belgian attacks on that day on the Ssebeja position by Rwanda B-K., Lt. Lang and 26.F.K., Lt. Zingel. Subsequently, `Detachment Wintgens´ retreated in an orderly manner in a south-easterly direction.

06.06.1916 – Kogowami near Kiwogoi in Central Ruanda. Detachment of Major Erich von Langenn-Steinkeller was attacked by the II. and III. Battalion of the 1. Regiment led by Maj. Muller. The Detachment Wintgens started a counter-attack and repulsed the enemy successful. (1,150 Belgian Rifles with 6 MG against 350 Rifles with 5 MG from `Detachment Wintgens´) The enemy was stopped in his advance, withdraws and waits for further reinforcements from the XI. Battalion.

14.07.1916 – Diobahika in Ussuwi (South of Emin Pasha Gulf). The 26. F.K. of `Detachment Wintgens´ was attacked by two Companies of the XII. and XIII. Belgian Battalion (4. Regiment Lt.-Col. Huyghé) and throw the opponent in two counter attacks back. The two Belgian Battalions stopped the attack and withdrawn into northern direction of Wanga.

15.07.1916 Between Diobahika and Wanga in Ussuwi. On next day the Detachment Wintgens attacked the strengthened opponent in his fortified position between Diobahika and Wanga. Although Capt. Wintgens cancelled the fight later, the two Belgian Battalions withdraw in the very early morning to Wanga and left behind a lot of equipment and luggage. On 16. July the XI. Battalion arrived also in Wanga. After some touches with Capt. Wintgens patrols the whole Belgian forces retreat to the further Northwest. Because of this, 1,600 porters escaped and the whole Belgian North-Brigade was stopped to for 3 to 4 weeks in their advance and went back even further to Njamasina.

01.08.1916 – `Detachment Wintgens´ has been strengthened and comprises 1,200 rifles. (Rwanda A- and Rwanda B-Company, 7.F.K., 8.F.K., 26 F.K. and 7. R.K. + 13 M.G.) Positioned in the landscape Uschirombo – Saint Michael, with front to the north and West. Patrol battles at Mariahilf against the Belgian North-Brigade.

17.08.1916Korogwe in the landscape Kahama. The 26. Field Company, Lt. Zingel is in a defensive position with the 10.5-cm SK from the “SMS Koenigsberg”, under Lt. Kohtz. The `Detachment Wintgens´ were ordered

back to Tabora and then to the western part of the `Central-railway´ into the direction of Urambo station.

27.08.1916 – The 26. Field Company followed the `Detachment Wintgens´ to the western Front of Tabora.

01.09.1916 – Heavy defensive battles by the `Western Troops´ in the Tabora area in the first two weeks of September 1916. The `Detachment Wintgens´ and the `Detachment Langenn-Steinkeller´ bear the brunt of the fighting. The strength of German units around Tabora is 2,800 rifles. On the Belgian-British side; - attacking from north, west and south; - are more than 12,000 rifles. (Belgian South Brigade: 5,750; - North Brigade: 3,460; Lake Forces: 1,700; - British `Brigade Crewe´: 1,968)

September 1st, Ussoke, 59 km west of Tabora. Parts of the `Detachment Wintgens´ repelled an attack by parts of the IV. and V. Belgian Battalion. The opponent lost 40% of his battle strength and Capt. Wintgens withdraw to Railway Station Mabama, because more opponents appeared on the battlefield.

02.09.1916Ussoke, on this evening the `Detachment Wintgens´ follow the order of Gen.-Maj. Wahle and try to recapture the lost Railway Station Ussoke. The attempt failed because the opponent led by the Belgian Commander Svihus entrenched oneself. Lt. Gezá Kalman who led the attack withdraw eastern back to Mabama.

07.09 1916Ussoke, Gen.-Maj. Wahle repeated the attempt to recapture this Railway station and send the `Detachment Wintgens´ by train from Tabora to near of Ussoke. During the first phase of the German attack the whole 1. Regiment arrived in two columns from the North West the battel ground and changed the situation rapidly to the disadvantage of the Germans. Wintgens units were repelled with heavy losses. Belgian battle strength: 2,400 rifles (one Battalion of the 2.Regiment and all three Battalions of the 1.Regiment) German battle strength: 600 rifles.

11.09.1916Lulanguru, 15 km west of Tabora. Parts of the `Detachment Wintgens´ repelled an attack of the whole 1. Belgian Regiment, the VII. Battalion (2. Regiment) and the 2. Battery. One southern enclosure attack remained ineffectively due to the German Artillery. `Force Publique´: 2,800 rifles / 12 MG. `Schutzruppe´: 225 rifles / 3 MG

13.09.1916Itaga-Hill, 17 km northwest of Tabora. The Ruanda B- and Muansa D-Company of the `Detachment Wintgens´ were thrown from the Itaga-Hill during the night by the attack by the 3. Regiment (Major Leopold E. Bataille with XIII. IX. and X. Battalion) and the 4. Regiment (Lieutenant-Colonel Armand Huyghé with XI. XII and XIII Battalion). Around midday Wintgens arrived with the rest of his Detachment, after a forced march from Lulanguru, and started immediately with the counter attack. This decision also involved a substantial risk because the western front against the South Brigade was now almost defenceless. The `Detachment v. Langenn-Steinkeller´ attacked the Itaga-Hill from the East meanwhile `Detachment Wintgens´ arrived from the west and attacked the opponent on the hill and further Belgian forces near the Itaga Mission in their right flank and the back. The Belgian losses must be so heavy that the official Belgian work don’t mentioned the numbers as the only exception. Two battalions virtually cease to exist and are dissolved. The responsible Belgian Commander of the North-Brigade Colonel Philippe Molitior was removed from his function.

Detachment Wintgens: 7. Reserve-, 8. Field-, Ruanda A-, Ruanda B- and Muansa C-Company
Detachment v. Langenn-Steinkeller: 7. Field-, 26. Field-, Muansa D-Company

18.09.1916 – Due to the success in front of Itaga, both the Belgians and the British remained calm for the next few days and gave the `Schutztruppe´ enough time to prepare for the march from Tabora to the southeast. The `Brigade Crewe´, meanwhile reinforced to 2,412 rifles, is proceeding so slowly that on September 18, when the German units left Tabora, the British were still at Jawa, 65 km northeast of the city.

19.09.1916 – The Belgians enter Tabora without a fight and occupy the city. Next day also British units arrive and take part in the Victory Parade. The `Schutztruppe´ left Tabora in three columns, on three different routes.

I. Column: `Detachment Wintgens´ with Ruanda A- and Ruanda B-Company, 8. F.K., 29. F.K.

II. Column: `Detachment Zingel´ with 26. Field Company, 7. Reserve-Company, Muansa C-Company.

III. Column: `Detachment v. Langenn-Steinkeller´ with Muansa A-, and Muansa D-Company, 7. Field Company

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Will be continued,  . . . this evening.

Cheers Holger

7 hours ago, rolyboy11 said:

Steve,

Thank you yet again for your help and interest.  Another piece of the jigsaw that certainly seems to fit with what Holger was suggesting. As you say, be interesting if his sources confirm that date. 

Work, family commitments and then COVID took my eye off the ball for quite a while. I must take up your suggestion of raising the issue of repatriation lists on one of the other threads..... Any best guesses as to which, in your experience, might hit the mark?

Rolyboy.

I'm not sure where repatriation lists (of German POWs) would be held in ICRC, or even if they are?  I wonder if @charlie962 could possibly advise?

Steve