Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental markings on 1907 bayonet

FatkatnJulie

15 hours ago, msdt said:

Happy New Year to all!

Picking up on the original marking of R SUS, as well as WORC and WILTS and ESX, these are all stamped following the 1932 regulations. These regimental attributions represent the WW2 service of these WW1 produced bayonets. As WW1 (and earlier) regimental stampings mostly stopped in 1915 any 1907 bayonet with a later production date and a regimental mark is likely to have been done after WW1, and judging by the re-issue stamps often in the early 1930's.

BTW the 1932 form for Suffolk is SUF. What year is your bayonet Mark? Are there any re-issue dates?

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for that Tony,

l’ve been searching for a list of these later abbreviations, do you know if there is an online source?, or failing that which publication should I be hunting down?

Regards,

Dave.

Edit...Sorry Tony...i had forgotten I’d asked the question before😂https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/264299-p1907-bayonet-with-unit-marking-sco-r/

Edited by Dave66

Hi Dave,

Yes, I knew that I had been involved in a similar post before but re-reading it via your link and I realised I was about to write something similar again! Just did a search on Abe books and there are no hits at all as before for the pamphlet I have that was printed in the States. It looks as if it was privately published. As the pamphlet has simply copied from the Instructions for Armourers I guess there would be no harm in copying the key pages that give the British line regiments as these are the main interest for us. I'll see if I can make a pdf of those pages.

Cheers,

Tony

43 minutes ago, msdt said:

Hi Dave,

Yes, I knew that I had been involved in a similar post before but re-reading it via your link and I realised I was about to write something similar again! Just did a search on Abe books and there are no hits at all as before for the pamphlet I have that was printed in the States. It looks as if it was privately published. As the pamphlet has simply copied from the Instructions for Armourers I guess there would be no harm in copying the key pages that give the British line regiments as these are the main interest for us. I'll see if I can make a pdf of those pages.

Cheers,

Tony

Many thanks Tony,

A pdf would certainly be much appreciated, not only by me, but by a number of other forum members I would imagine...many thanks.

All the best,

Dave.

23 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Many thanks Tony,

A pdf would certainly be much appreciated, not only by me, but by a number of other forum members I would imagine...many thanks.

All the best,

Dave.

I’ll second that motion, it would certainly be very much appreciated.

Regards,

JMB

It's a Wilkinson P1907, which has been well scrubbed.  Date of manufacture has gone, not sure what the 5? digit number

on the second photo is, looks like it's prefixed with 'L'.

Mike.

Hi Mark,

If we start with the obverse of the ricasso you have the crown for the royal cypher, under that the model (1907), then the maker (Wilkinson). Between the maker and the 1907 the month and year of manufacture will be stamped in numbers (ie 11 18 for November 1918). I believe the year can be made out above the last n of Wilkinson, 17 for 1917. The month has gone as far as I can see from the picture. Your bayonet then shows the signs of use after WW1 in that it has many 're-issue' stamps. These consist of '25 for 1925 for example, then nearby will be a group to go with that date stamp which is the inspector who carried the inspection out. This will be a crown over number over letter for example. If you look to the side of the big crown you can the see crown over E4 over E. The bottom E represents an Enfield inspection. I can see inspections for 1925, 1930 and 1933, so for each of these there is the inspector's group, hence the many marks. Actually the month of manufacture may be the stamp in front of the 1 in 1907.

On the rear of the ricasso there is the X for the bend test and then usually another 3 sets of inspector's marks, these being the original ones when manufactured. There may be another re-issue stamp on yours, 1920???

Cheers,

Tony

Slight correction / addendum to the above - it is a WILKINSON / PALL MALL. Well, it was marked that way before the PALL MALL was scrubbed as with the majority of their other products (for reasons that remain unclear), and then the whole ricasso scrubbed almost clean, but leaving enough for Tony (MSDT) to recover most of its history - well done m'lad!

Julian

1932 Instructions for Armourers regarding markings attached.

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. The relevance of this to the GWF is to determine if a marking on a weapon is of WW1 or prior origin or if it has been added post WW1.

1932_Instructions_for_Armourers.pdf

Edited by msdt

30 minutes ago, msdt said:

1932 Instructions for Armourers regarding markings attached.

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. The relevance of this to the GWF is to determine if a marking on a weapon is of WW1 or prior origin or if it has been added post WW1.

1932_Instructions_for_Armourers.pdf 2.95 MB · 5 downloads

Many thanks Tony,

Greatly appreciated😀.

Dave.

Thanks for this, very useful.

Mike.

Much appreciated Tony. As you rightly say, very handy for elimination purposes!

Julian