Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pearls before Poppies

Moonraker

This morning I was bustling around getting ready for another day when I half-heard an announcer saying there was to be an item about ladies selling their pearls to raise money for the Red Cross during the Great War. I had to leave the house before it was broadcast, but have just searched the GWF (with no results) and Googled, to come across

this book

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

intertesting .... Yes, it does look interesting ... I'll have to see what I can do about finding a copy.

Sadly, I've failed to open the DM article, which is a shame because I was interested to see what they said about it. It's not the first time I've failed to pen a DM article, an probably won't be the last, as the DM site is very poor when it comes to things like that.  

• 2 months later...

I have now bought this and read it, and very good it is, too.

It goes into pretty good detail about who did what, how and why - and there's a lot of stuff in there about the lives of the rich and famous, as well! Much of this is relevant, as it does serve to explain why the ladies who donated pearls did so.

As I'd never heard of this before I saw Moonraker's thread and then read the book, I was almost treating it as a "who done it", because it was taking me into areas that I'd never been before, and this was very interesting.

I do have one criticism, though, and that is the author doesn't really tell us what actually happened to all of the pearls at the end of the War. It does give quite a bit of detail of how they were used to raise a lot of money for the Red Cross, but I would have liked to know what has happened to them since the end of the War and where they are now.  

That's a small point, though, and it doesn't really affect what is a very good book - and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to know about a fairly forgotten part of the War on the Home Front.

I bought the book at Fort Nelson the other weekend. Looking forward to it