Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

49th Battery, Royal Field artillery.

kimberley robinson

Hi, apparently 49th Battery Royal field artillery, were in the battle of Mons on the 23erd of August 1914. as a relation of mine was killed on that first day, his name is John Southern Maidlow. I thought the man in question was a mounted troop. did the 49th Battery have a cavalry?. also his name was never mentioned in any records I can find for on that day. can anyone give me any further information.

thankyou.

The units of the Royal Field Artillery used horse transport for hauling its guns and wagons.

49th Battery was part of 40 Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. The war diary of 40 Brigade can be downloaded from the National Archives website (for a very modest fee) and can also be found at Ancestry. It is however rather poor for these early days of the war, although for 23 August it does say "Major Maidlow missing badly wounded".

I'm sure you know that he is buried at Mons Communal Cemetery: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/894635/maidlow,-john-southern/

This obituary will also be of interest:  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205385112

Edited by Chris_Baker

That gives me a better understanding of his unit. yes I've found his grave, and know he was shot in the head and never recovered from his injury. I'm doing a assignment for my university degree, so I'm looking for primary sources of information about him and his unit. I'm very grateful for your help, thank you. 

Would this assist you. Artillery layout 23rd Aug 1914. 49th Battery on hill opposite Oberg Bridge in the 40th Brigade RFAmons033.jpg.8d9d5810be81b33ce09dc178b0c308d3.jpg

Wow! this is an amazing map, where did you get it?, If I'm to use it I need its source so I can reference it in my work. thank you.

Its from The History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery Western Front 1914-18 By General Sir Martin Farndale, KCB

Information on an inside leaf.......[copyright sign] The Royal Artillery Institution,1986

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form or by any means without prior permission of the Institution.

The Royal Artillery Institution

Old Royal Military Academy

Woolwich, London SE18 4DN

Printed by Henry Ling Ltd The Dorset Press ,Dorchester.