Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Filed Artillery 70th Brigade.

Gregory Counsell

Lost information.  about the 70th {LXX)  Royal Field Artillery it seems that this Brigade was attached to the 15th Scottish and served in France... But 1917 onwards it seems to vanish.. were they attached to a different division or reformed and was there some other information as to what happened to them   War Diaries for the 70th seems to suddenly stop in mid 1917 for three/four Months. ? and then is vague...?

Would appreciate any input to clear up the mystery...

Greg

See http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/lxx-lxxi-lxxii-and-lxiii-howitzer-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery-15th-divisional-artillery/

Not sure what you mean about the war diary being vague. It's as good as most other field artillery diaries. The months July to September 1917 are simply missing.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Thanks Chris

Not wishing to seem vague I was trying to discover what might be the reasons for missing period in war diaries... if not available to view... then asking if anyone knew the movement's of the 70th  RFA.....during the period between juke 1917  to Nov 1917.

The Long Long Trail indicates that the 70th remained with the 15th throughout the War....did it become part of another Brigade or a Brigade in its own right....?

Greg

The WD of the Commander RA 15 Div from July 1917 mentions 70 Brigade so it was under the orders of that Div. 

Brian

• 3 months later...

If anyone has the 70 Bde RFA WD, could you see if the award of a MM to 128274 Dvr Arthur Samuel Jerrard gets a mention (awarded 11 Apr 18)? What was A Bty up to that month?

Many thanks.

Acknown

• 4 months later...

My relative, Sjt Joseph Hawkins 22718    

C Bty 70 Bde RFA was gazetted the MM on 2nd Nov 1917. Anyone have any idea on how I can find out what act of bravery he did to earn the medal 

4012B5CC-B16B-4FF7-B632-3203647E63EE.png

Welcome to the Forum Trev,

It appears from his service record (on Ancestry and Findmypast) that the act of bravery occurred in September 1917.

Unfortunately, the War Diaries for July, August and September 1917 all seem to be missing from the National Archives.

You could try local newspapers to see if there is a write up.

Hi Trev,

Unlike some other medal awards (such as VCs, DSOs, MCs, DCMs) there is no known surviving central source for MM citations. There is some general advice on trying to research them here

Good luck.

Chris

Neither I'm afraid. It is the date of the relevant Army Order  "A.O. 267 - IV - Presentation of Medals awarded for Gallant Conduct or Meritorious Service. " and thus is not specific to your case.

• 3 years later...
On 11/10/2018 at 20:30, Trev said:

My relative, Sjt Joseph Hawkins 22718    

C Bty 70 Bde RFA was gazetted the MM on 2nd Nov 1917. Anyone have any idea on how I can find out what act of bravery he did to earn the medal 

The 2 Nov 1917 LG was apparently for August 1917 and the start of 3rd Ypres, a period missing from the war diary.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352767

There may be a list of 15th Division awards in the 15th A&QMG war diary? https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4555069

EDIT - here is Hawkins among 15th Division awards on 9th September 1917 - probably for Ypres sector in August 1917:

image.png.984d1a2f2ac4568656d0831d0dedccba.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

On 11/06/2018 at 19:54, Acknown said:

award of a MM to 128274 Dvr Arthur Samuel Jerrard gets a mention (awarded 11 Apr 18)?

MM actually in LG 12 June 1918 as Gerrard: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30743/supplement/7008

Awards for the German Spring Offensive, March/April 1918.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Ivor - Many thanks. I'm still researching this matter four years on, so your information is most welcome.

Acknown

He is listed with a service no. error among XVII Corps routine orders by Lt. Gen Sir Charles Fergusson on 10th April 1918:

Gerrard.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Again, many thanks, name spelled incorrectly as well. Very useful.

Acknown