Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Name that UK-Based Hospital

I'm trying to decipher the name of the hospital in a relative's service record.  He was in 1/5th South Lancs but avoided the debacle at Cambrai towards the end of November courtesy of a "lucky" bout of scabies and boils.  The latter ultimately led to his being evacuated back to England and spending 3 months in hospital (must have been one heck of a bout of boils!).

Anyhoo...I've tried everything I know to identify the hospital short of going through the entire (albeit partial) list on The Long Long Trail.  It looks to be Chatton Hosp.?  Any other suggestions?

Hospital Record Close-up.jpg

• Admin
1 hour ago, Buffnut453 said:

I'm trying to decipher the name of the hospital in a relative's service record.  He was in 1/5th South Lancs but avoided the debacle at Cambrai towards the end of November courtesy of a "lucky" bout of scabies and boils.  The latter ultimately led to his being evacuated back to England and spending 3 months in hospital (must have been one heck of a bout of boils!).

Anyhoo...I've tried everything I know to identify the hospital short of going through the entire (albeit partial) list on The Long Long Trail.  It looks to be Chatton Hosp.?  Any other suggestions?

Hospital Record Close-up.jpg

Who is the man ?

Craig

23 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Who is the man ?

Craig

Pte William Lee (Service Nos. 5106 and 242394), South Lancs Regt.

Could it be Chatham? That was a RN hospital but it wasn't uncommon for patients from other services to be admitted.

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Could it be Chatham? That was a RN hospital but it wasn't uncommon for patients from other services to be admitted.

Certainly possible.  Given his medical condition, i can imagine that the medical staff wouldn't want him travelling all over the country in case he was infectious.  He was evacuated from France aboard the AT Warilda on 16 Dec 1917.  If there are any sources on where the Warilda might have docked, perhaps that might provide a clue?

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be Chatsworth Royal Naval Hospital, Chatsworth? Unfortunately I have not found any records which survive for this hospital, but I think it is mentioned in British Red Cross and Order of St John Reports for 1914-1919 (HMSO, 1921), so there may be a hospital card held by the Red Cross Archives in London.

Ally

• 1 month later...

I'm with Diane on this - it looks like Charlton House, which I believe was used as a hospital during the Great War.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane