Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika to Malta

familyhistoryman

I am trying to find the ship that was used to transport the injuried from Salonika to Malta on 27 Jan 1917. According to the notes my grandfather made (see below) he sailed from Salonika and arrived Malta on 31Jan. 

This may be a long shot but I there are some knowledgeable members on the Form

Regards

Tony

George William SNAPE (1889 – 1967)

Private East Lancashire Regiment 3rd Bn (No. 23082)

Married 17 Jul 1915 to Nancy Alice Duxbury at Redearth Road Methodist Church, Darwen

Enlisted Blackburn 10 Dec 1915

Home 8 May 1916 to 28 Sep 1916

Salonica 29 Sep 1916

Discharged 22 Nov 1918

British Ward Medal

Victory Medal

Silver War Badge

Medical History as recorded by GWS

9 Jan 1917 Admitted into 68th Field Ambulance at SNEFKI

12 Jan 1917 Admitted into JANICE Casualty Clearing Station

13 Jan 1917 Admitted into 4th Canadian General Hospital

27 Jan 1917 Left SALONICA

31 Jan 1917 Admitted into St Patricks Hospita

Hi Tony

Looks like it was the RFA Maine .    This page  http://historicalrfa.org/ships-starting-with-m/1897-rfa-maine-3   says

27 January 1917 sailed Salonika with 1 patient

31 January 1917 berthed at Hamilton Wharf, Malta patient discharged

So it would appear that your grandfather was that 1 patient! 

I notice he was sent to St  Patrick's Hospital on arrival in Malta,   so may I direct you to my cousin's photo  album  that I've posted  to my family website.   Mary Muscat nursed at the temporary tented  hospital  St Patrick's from  start to finish  (closed Apr 1917) and most of the 400+ photos are of St Patrick's.  She names many of the soldiers she nursed. On a quick scan I can't see any Snapes but you may well find your grandfather in the album.  If not , you will at least get an idea of what St Patrick's was like.    I know roughly where St Patrick's was (NE of Naxxar)  but haven't been able to work out the exact footprint. There are tantalising clues in the  photos but haven't pinned it down yet.

http://agiusww1.com/mary-muscat-2/

And this page tells of St Patrick's if you scroll down about half-way....

http://maltaramc.com/articles/contents/greatwar.html

Did your grandfather leave any more detail about the trip from Salonika and his time in Malta?

best wishes

Peter

I think it still had it's original name of  HMHS Panama up to 1920.

25 July 1915 chartered by the Admiralty for service as a Hospital Ship name unchanged.

HMHS_Panama

This thread on GWF from 2009!

9 minutes ago, pagius said:

Hi Tony

Looks like it was the RFA Maine .    This page  http://historicalrfa.org/ships-starting-with-m/1897-rfa-maine-3   says

So it would appear that your grandfather was that 1 patient! 

I notice he was sent to St  Patrick's Hospital on arrival in Malta,   so may I direct you to my cousin's photo  album  that I've posted  to my family website.   Mary Muscat nursed at the temporary tented  hospital  St Patrick's from  start to finish  (closed Apr 1917) and most of the 400+ photos are of St Patrick's.  She names many of the soldiers she nursed. On a quick scan I can't see any Snapes but you may well find your grandfather in the album.  If not , you will at least get an idea of what St Patrick's was like.    I know roughly where St Patrick's was (NE of Naxxar)  but haven't been able to work out the exact footprint. There are tantalising clues in the  photos but haven't pinned it down yet.

http://agiusww1.com/mary-muscat-2/

And this page tells of St Patrick's if you scroll down about half-way....

http://maltaramc.com/articles/contents/greatwar.html

Did your grandfather leave any more detail about the trip from Salonika and his time in Malta?

best wishes

Peter

Peter

Many thanks for your reply and I would not believe the detail you have supplied. Like many men he never talked about his time in the War only that he was kicked by a mule. Once he returned to England he made some notes of the time in Salonika and Malta and his journey home. You can see them on 

Interesting...

31 Jan 1917 Admitted into St Patricks Hospital at MALTA

28 Apr 1917 Admitted into Ghain Tuffieha Camp

2 May 1917 Admitted into Imtarfa Hospital

2 Aug 1917 Left Imtarfa Hosptial

3 Aug 1917 Malta Harbour at 9am

So that 28 Apr date is the one given for the closure of St Patrick's .   He was then moved to another tented hospital , Ghain Tuffieha,  before the solid building that is Imtarfa Hospital, near the Imtarfa Barracks where 3 of my g-uncles were stationed before going to the western front /Gallipoli.   Imtarfa H is now a school but my aunt was a VAD  there in WW2.

27 minutes ago, pagius said:

Interesting...

So that 28 Apr date is the one given for the closure of St Patrick's .   He was then moved to another tented hospital , Ghain Tuffieha,  before the solid building that is Imtarfa Hospital, near the Imtarfa Barracks where 3 of my g-uncles were stationed before going to the western front /Gallipoli.   Imtarfa H is now a school but my aunt was a VAD  there in WW2.

Peter

I have notes my grandfather made of his journey from Malta back to England via France. As I am away from home I will post them as soon as I can. My grandfather was always a proud Darwener and whilst in Malta a nurse asked him where he was from but she had never heard of Darwen. The way he explained the location was to say that Blackburn and Bolton were suburbs of Darwen. He used the way of explaining the location of the town for the rest of his life. I wonder if that nurse could have been your relative?

Tony

59 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Any chance the Ghain Tuffieha hotel was converted into the hospital?

http://www.talhandaqnostalgia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=4978#top_display_media

Ghain Tuffieha hospital was a temporary tented hospital similar to St Patrick's .   The photo on your  link is the Farsons Brewery built in 1950 on the site of an earlier brewery.  Still exists as a brewery....

Brewery.jpg

Edited by pagius

13 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

9 Jan 1917 Admitted into 68th Field Ambulance at SNEFKI

12 Jan 1917 Admitted into JANICE Casualty Clearing Station

Hi Tony,

SNEFKi is probably SNEVCE a village which is behind the lines in the Krusha hills sector of the line East of Lake Doiran, and JANICE is Janes or Yanesh

not too far away from SNEVCE but further back from the front line towards Salonika, the 31st Casualty Clearing Station  was at Janes.

Tony,

Are you sure that your Grandfather was in the 3rd Battalion East Lancs, the 9th Battalion East Lancs were the only East Lancs battalion to serve in Salonika. On the 27th December 'D' Company attacked the Hodza Redoubt in the Butkovo valley, one soldier died in tha action, one officer and four other ranks were severely injured and 15 other ranks were slightly wounded. The wounded from this action would most likely have been taken from the regimenal aid post to the nearest field ambulance and SNEVCE was nearby, I think it is highly likely that your Grandfather took part in this action and was one of the wounded.

The 3rd East Lancs was a Reserve Battalon stationed at Saltburn, 1000's of men went thro there, and hundreds if not more, although they had 3rd written on their papers if they had been wounded, and posted back to England for hospital treatment, were posted else where on recovery.

Hi

My grandfather’s army record has servived and it shows he joined under the Derby Scheme. He was first posted to the 3rd ELR (10th seems to be first written but crossed out). He was then transferred to the 9th when he sailed for Salonika. When he returned home, injuried, he was transferred back to the 3rd and was finally posted to Saltburn.

As only 1 patient was sailed from Salonika on 27 Jan 1917 could it be that there was only one fit enough to travel or he was seriously ill they needed to transfer him to a better equipped hospital. Or am I reading too much into it?

Tony

Looking at the HMHS Panama record...

19 December 1916 arrived at Stavros, Greece

2 February 1917 at Hamilton Wharf, Malta commenced embarking patients leaving for England - 11 patients and 7 passengers together with four prisoners of war - 3 Austrian and 1 German - all 4 being mental patients. Sailed Malta

6 February 1917 berthed at Gibraltar. Sailed Gibraltar

7 February 1917 at Sea. One of the Austrian mental patients at exercise on deck threw himself overboard. He had previously been fitted with a life jacket. A boat was lowered and the patient was recovered within 12 minutes

11 February 1917 anchored off Netley in Southampton Water. Patients discharged

It would appear that the Panama had been temporarily diverted from cross-channel duty to do some ferrying off Greece.  Then called home via Malta to collect some patients destined for England.   So it looks like your grandfather was put on this boat to get away to convalesce in Malta.   As far as I can make out, St Patrick's was was for the less serious cases  (who would have gone to one of the permanent hospitals).

Many thanks for the information. I only found the notes my grandfather made after he died in the mid 1960s

Tony

Details after arriving in Malta are

6 Aug 1917 Arrived (sic) Marsailes Stayed overnight on board

7 Aug 1917 Left (sic) Marsailes by Hospital train 

9 Aug 1917 Arrived Le Harve Docks

10 Aug 1917 Left Le Harve Docks

11 Aug 1917 Arrived Southampton Docks 6am

11 Aug 1917 Arrived 2nd Western General Hospital, Sockport

15 Aug 1917 Arrived Timberhurst Hospital, Bury

22 Oct 1917 Had Medical Board at Manchester

7 Nov 1917 Left Timberhurst Hospital, Bury

Have you any details of the ship he may have sailed on from Malta?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I can't help with the ship details, but I have done quite extensive research on the 9th East Lancs, my Grandfather served with them, so happy to help if you need it. Also if you haven't already seen it there is a lot of information on the 9th East Lancs in the Salonika and the Balkans sub forum.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Tony,

I can't help with the ship details, but I have done quite extensive research on the 9th East Lancs, my Grandfather served with them, so happy to help if you need it. Also if you haven't already seen it there is a lot of information on the 9th East Lancs in the Salonika and the Balkans sub forum.

Just to let you know that my grandfather, George William Snape, arrived in Salonkia on 29 Sep 1916

Tony

There is a record in the battalion war diary dated 12th October 1916 that shows a draft of 154 men arrived from the 3rd Battalion. That ties in nicely with your service record that shows him arriving in theatre 29 Sep 1916 (at Salonika) the draft would have been billeted at Summer Hill a holding camp and it typically took about two weeks from arrival to joining the battalion at the front. The 9th EL had lost a number of men at the battle of Macukovo (13th/14th September) and this is the first draft of replacements. My Grandfather arrived a month later with the second draft of 96 men.

Many thanks for the additional information

Tony

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find a ships name where a royal welch fusulliers wife would have given birth while he was stationed in malta

my grandfathers names was robert charles broadhurst (23rd Foot)

his wife was kate broadhurst (pearce)

the baby was my grandmother gertrude millicent broadhurst born on board this vessel ???? on 1 september 1897

any info would be greatly appreciated

You could look at the FIBIS Fibiwiki page "Births, marriages and deaths at sea" for some information about available records

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Births,_marriages_and_deaths_at_sea

If she was travelling with her husband at the time, there might be something in the National Archives record WO 379/11 Stations of regiments 1859-1900.

These records are part of the WO 379 series "Disposition and Movement of Regiment, Returns and Papers (Regimental Records)"

Cheers

Maureen

Edit There is some  general information about the regiment in the link

http://maltaramc.com/regmltgar/2nd23rd.html

The 1897 birth is mentioned in the GRO Army Births Volume 1316, page 100 for 1897 Malta. You could request a copy from the GRO, fee applies, but whether it would give the ship's name I do not know. For more details, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Chaplains Returns

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Chaplains_Returns

Edited by Maureene

On 26/07/2019 at 12:54, vivienne said:

I am trying to find a ships name where a royal welch fusulliers wife would have given birth while he was stationed in malta

my grandfathers names was robert charles broadhurst (23rd Foot)

his wife was kate broadhurst (pearce)

the baby was my grandmother gertrude millicent broadhurst born on board this vessel ???? on 1 september 1897

any info would be greatly appreciated

Hi

You will find the birth registration on the Army Birth & Baptism Register that is on Findmypast at:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD%2FOVS%2FREG1%2F000320&parentid=BMD%2FOVS%2FREG1%2F000320%2F041

If you apply for the birth certificate it may give you the name of the ship

Regards, Tony