Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme relics or rusty agricultural rubbish?

JakeJ

I'm wondering if anyone can help me (a newbie!) with a bit of info on some of the bits and pieces I picked up around the Somme at the weekend. Have I done a French farmer a favour by taking away some 1960s rubbish or are my rusty relics circa 1916? Any pointers would be very much appreciated so a big thank you in advance...

Exhibit A: 

The top of the wooden handle of a stielhandgranate? There seems to be what look like burn marks inside the top.

Exhibit B:

The remains of a cap badge? If so, any idea of unit (found it near Lochnagar)? And, possibly a silly question, but if it is a cap badge, who would be wearing a cap as surely a helmet would be the sensible choice of head attire (or would Tommy have had a cap stashed with his kit in the front line)? Questions, questions.

Exhibit C:

The rusty remains of a bayonet? If so, British?

Exhibit D:

I wondered about some sort of sheath but it's very small. There is what looks like a leather lining inside. 

Thank you! 

Jake

IMG_7168.PNG

IMG_7169.PNG

IMG_7170.PNG

IMG_7171.PNG

IMG_7172.PNG

IMG_7173.PNG

IMG_7174.PNG

IMG_7175.PNG

IMG_7176.PNG

IMG_7177.PNG

A: Correct... the bottom of the 'business end' of a stielhandgranate

B: Bottom of the screw cap of the other end of the stick from the same type of grenade. Removed to release the porcelain ball and pull cord.

C: Correct again and, yes, looks British.

D: Metal bit (the 'chape'?)from the bottom of a bayonet scabbard. British again.

Dave

Edited by CROONAERT

D bottom protector English bayonet

C shell shard

B could be the bottom of a mills bomb ?

A could well be bottom of a stick grenade

:poppy:

Chape is indeed the correct term for the "bottom protector"(!) of any scabbard or sheath... But wouldn't mind one for the uni bus seats here as well...

16 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

.B: Bottom of the screw cap of the other end of the stick from the same type of grenade. Removed to release the porcelain ball and pull cord.

Dave

Correct the stupid  thing is I am looking at two as I write this AND I still messed up :huh:

C. Like Biffo I'd go for shell shard as well. It doesn't seem to have the same finesse, and a higher quality of steel required for a blade.

2 hours ago, geraint said:

C. Like Biffo I'd go for shell shard as well. It doesn't seem to have the same finesse, and a higher quality of steel required for a blade.

The give-away, Jake, would be whether that impression of the groove that appears to be present on the image is on the other side too (and that, as we look at the image, it's thicker on the right than it is on the left).

Dave

Edited by CROONAERT