Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield B&B's post 2018

mills-bomb

Just wondering what is the future for B&B's in Battlefield areas, particularly the Somme, where there is very little 'non War' tourism, post 2018?

I have just done a quick count-up, and reckon I have stayed in about 14 different establishments between Cambrai & Amiens over the last 12 years. Ranging from self catering Gites through B&B's up to chain Hotels. Approx half split between being French / British owned. As would be expected standards have varied from Exceptional to exceptionally bad! 

The chain Hotel, where you cant get anything to eat on a Sunday evening.

The camp site where the owners son helps to pitch your tent as 'the rain will be here soon'.
The B&B where everything is permeated with the smell of cat pee.

The Restaurant [French owned] which aware of the downturn in their own economy pay for their waiting staff to take English lessons [because as Brits, why should we learn THEIR language].

The B&B owner who moves your [part unpacked]  cases off your bed as 'who knows what might be on them'.

The café owner who sends their parents back to Blightly every few weeks for more British home comforts for his ex-pat customers.

or

my particular favourite, the crazy Frenchman I once saw juggling with 3 German Kubel [?] grenades.

Will it be a case of prospering survival for those who put the effort in, or will the whole sector suffer?

You make a big assumption no post battlefield tourism. It was there before centenary and will continue. Of more immediate threat per chance to Brit run ones will be the ability to function post Brexit. Work permits etc?????

Was talking about this to Dom inTommys this week, he is very confident that it will be business as usual after this year and has increased the size of his place, his attitude is they came before the 100 years anniversary and many visitors will have got the taste for the Battlefields and will be back,

Tony

Nothing is going to stop me, from going after the 100 anniversary have come and gone.

18 hours ago, trenchtrotter said:

You make a big assumption no post battlefield tourism. It was there before centenary and will continue. Of more immediate threat per chance to Brit run ones will be the ability to function post Brexit. Work permits etc?????

Maybe I could have made my point better.

There will always be Battlefield tourism,  and like  Mr TR22, nothing is going to stop me. But do you think there will be much of a decline in 'casual' visitors once all the

media interest fades away?  And if so, will there be enough business for all the existing establishments?

Know of 1 B&B sold recently and will not re open as a B&B and a self catering house in Flers just up for sale as well.

Tony