Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

drumbobs72

Hi All, help required please?

Recently acquired a pair of binoc’s, Leather case top has impressed 526 (Siege battery?) RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery)

I cannot seem to find any info relating to the 526th apart form a couple of online memorials, both of which stating that the person was Royal Marine Light Infantry attached to the 526th RGA?

The name on the underneath of the case is F. Fell, I have found a record for F. Fell, dated 3.08.18, he was in the RGA, No. 65000, but then says ‘C’ Mountain battery?

Any info on the 526th Battery/Mountain Battery? Or the Serviceman would be very much appreciated..

Thank you..

According to LLT it went to France on the 8th of February 1917.

Derek.

3 hours ago, drumbobs72 said:

The name on the underneath of the case is F. Fell, I have found a record for F. Fell, dated 3.08.18, he was in the RGA, No. 65000, but then says ‘C’ Mountain battery?

It's not 165000 Fred Fell if you look at his service records, as he didn't serve with 526 SB.  If it is a badly impressed "E" then you could research 3 other  RGA gunners. If it is definitely F. Fell then researching those in the RMLI with that initial and name may be the way forward. But, of course, it's possible that it isn't referring to a siege battery. Other possibility is that he was an officer.

526th Siege Battery went out on the 15th June1918.

2 hours ago, Derek Black said:

According to LLT it went to France on the 8th of February 1917.

Derek.

I think you have muddled the digits up a bit.

Kevin

14 minutes ago, kevinrowlinson said:

Kevin

So i have! deary me :lol:

Hi Guys, thanks for your input…

I’ve attached a few photos, you can see clearly the 526 RGA impressed in the leather. The name/initials FAF (Fred A Fell) are hand written/scratched under the top, with Cobham, as is where this Gentleman lived. You will see his address on the bottom too, with the Cobham address crossed out and new address written in Stoke D’abernon. . Initials and name here are F A Fell…I think it could perhaps be the Gunner 165000 RGA, whom picked these up at a later date..Maybe owned by someone else initially in 526!? Who knows??

In was interested to know any info on the 526th if that is the name of the battery, movements, conflict? As I cannot find anything?

Cheers…Paul.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

14 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

It's not 165000 Fred Fell if you look at his service records, as he didn't serve with 526 SB.  If it is a badly impressed "E" then you could research 3 other  RGA gunners. If it is definitely F. Fell then researching those in the RMLI with that initial and name may be the way forward. But, of course, it's possible that it isn't referring to a siege battery. Other possibility is that he was an officer.

526th Siege Battery went out on the 15th June1918.

Kevin

Kevin, I’ve attached a few photos in the thread, you can see clearly the 526 RGA impressed in the leather. The name/initials FAF (Fred A Fell) are hand written/scratched under the top, with Cobham, as is where this Gentleman lived. You will see his address on the bottom too, with the Cobham address crossed out and new address written in Stoke D’abernon. . Initials and name here are F A Fell…I think it could perhaps be the Gunner 165000 RGA, whom picked these up at a later date..Maybe owned by someone else initially in 526!? Who knows??

In was interested to know any info on the 526th if that is the name of the battery, movements, conflict? As I cannot find anything?

Unfortunately 526 SB became an unbrigaded battery in Second Army so there is no specific diary for the battery or a possible brigade that most batteries were attached to. You could search the National Archives site for a diary for the commander of artillery in Second Army, although what information that may contain, if there is one, I have no idea.

As you say the F.A. Fell may not have been the original user, but it is unlikely to be 165000 F. Fell in my opinion.

Good luck with your research.

Kevin

3 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

Unfortunately 526 SB became an unbrigaded battery in Second Army so there is no specific diary for the battery or a possible brigade that most batteries were attached to. You could search the National Archives site for a diary for the commander of artillery in Second Army, although what information that may contain, if there is one, I have no idea.

As you say the F.A. Fell may not have been the original user, but it is unlikely to be 165000 F. Fell in my opinion.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, going to need a bit of luck with this one I think!! I appreciate your input with this...Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 09:36, kevinrowlinson said:

Kevin

Kevin, just reverting back to this, could the 526 be a regiment number? As I have found a Chap with the number 526 within the RGA. A Rangefinder. 

On 3/7/2018 at 19:05, drumbobs72 said:

Maybe owned by someone else initially in 526!? Who knows??

I would have thought that was more likely as I am not sure whether a gunner would put his home address on the case while "in the field". Unfortunately I know nothing about the markings that was put on equipment so am unable to help. Perhaps finding evidence that the stamped impressions were used on cases for specific batteries, or mens numbers, was used may be the first thing to determine. There may have been any number of gunners with the number "526" before the renumbering of 1917 - gunners in the TF and newly formed Heavy Batteries.

Kevin

• 1 year later...