Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Office Communique August 1919

Tonybu10

Hi, I wondered if anyone would be able to offer any advice. I'm trying to find the info included in the war office communique dated 28th August 1919 which apparently mentioned my great uncle Charles Henry Bush who was a RAMC corporal / clerk at New End Military Hospital in Hampsted. He had served in France in 1914. In his army records this communique is mentioned. I think the communique relates to medical services as I can find other medical personal who were mentioned. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

The reference in Charles' service record states 'Brought to Notice {W.O. communique 28.8.19'. This means he was 'brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War for valuable services rendered in connexion with the war'. Being 'noticed' was graded below being 'mentioned in despatches', and was used for men and women who were not serving in a War Zone. Anyone 'noticed, would be mentioned in the Times newspaper, and the fact of being mentioned would be recorded in their service record. There was no medal or physical award of any kind, only the mention in 'The Times'. It was not unusual for over 1,000 men and women to be mentioned at the same time. I am not sure if a citation was issued to the person noticed, but have never seen one recorded anywhere.

There were lists of 'mentions' in The Times under the following headings on the following dates;-

28/08/1919 - War Services - Home Command Lists

29/08/1919 - War Services -Scottish and Southern Commands

01/09/1919 - War Services -Western and Irish Commands

Some of these lists were so long that they were continued on another page, or on another day. I have searched these lists in The Times, but could not find Charles. I may have just missed him. Normally, Officers are listed alphabetically first, then other ranks.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm