Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WALTON OFFICERs - 3 BROTHERS

JOSTURM

I have recently discovered a new line of my family, the Waltons and am trying to trace the WW1 career of the three sons of Joseph Herbert and Ellen Parlby Walton:

Herbert Parlby Walton (b.1891 Leeds, Yorkshire) - Lt, Yorkshire Hussars - KIA 1917

Cyril Guy Montague Walton (b.1894 Teddington, Middlesex) - L/Cpl Rhodesia Regiment, then Sub-Lieutenant, Royal Navy in WW2 (lived South Africa 1919 to 1964)

Thomas Eric Leslie Walton (b.1899 Teddington, Middlesex) - 3AM to Lieutenant, Royal Flying Corps, Royal Air Force

If anyone can help me shortcut to their service records, has a photo of any of them (which i don't) or has any other data or anecdotal information on them, that would be very helpful.

Regards

JOSTURM.

I don't know if any of this helps on the family history side.

Cyril Guy Montague Walton sailed for Baltimore in 1946 – there is a bit more detail on the ships manifest, but he gives his birthplace as Twickenham and his last permanent address as Cape Town.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2C3M-XVQ

Spouse was Mabel Sarah Walton. The couple had a child,Norman Herbert, born 5th February 1920 who was baptised in the Church of All Saints, Clifton, Johannesburg, on the 11th April 1920. The family were living then at 146 Loveday Street.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSH-F3JS

Cyril died on the 13th December 1964 at Maitland, Cape Town.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPS-643Y

The page showing his headstone on the Find A Grave shows that his wife Mabel S died on the 6th June 1976.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2147688/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=Walton&page=1#sr-136892089

Thomas Eric Leslie Waltons Air Force records available from the National Archive for the usual £3.50 if there is nothing on Ancestry or FindMyPast. The catalogue entry gives his date of birth as 2nd May 1899.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8238426

However the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 11th February 1919 lists a Thomas Eric Leslie Walton in connection with the 28th Battalion, London Regiment.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31172/supplement/2078/data.pdf

Going back a page he is part of an announcement relating to the Territiorial Force and “The undermentioned Cadets to be 2nd Lts. under the provision of the Royal Warrant dated the 30th Dec. 1918, promulgated in Army Order 1 of 1st Jan. 1919.”

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31172/supplement/2077/data.pdf

There is no clear cut match in terms of Medal Index Cards, however there are 4 Thomas E’s with some sort of Yorkshire connection, (West Yorks \ Yorkshire), and one Thomas E who served with the London Regiment in what I suspect is a Territorial Force Unit – he is renumbered from 8414 to 514209.

I checked the index for FindMyPast available via the FamilySearch website and that shows Army Service records for a 19 year old Thomas Eric Leslie Walton who joined up in 1917, (so estimated year of birth is 1898). It gives him as 5/34238 in the 2/28th London Regiment.

However they also say there are records for a Thomas Eric Leslie Walton aged 18 who joined the Royal Field Artillery in the same year. His service number was 11411.

I can't see another Thomas Eric Leslie Walton recorded as born in England and Wales, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have been born elsewhere.

Hope that's not too many red herrings,

Peter

5 hours ago, JOSTURM said:

Cyril Guy Montague Walton (b.1894 Teddington, Middlesex) - L/Cpl Rhodesia Regiment, then Sub-Lieutenant, Royal Navy in WW2 (lived South Africa 1919 to 1964).

According to Capell’s “The 2nd Rhodesia Regiment in East Africa” Cyril Guy Montague Walton is listed as Attesting on 28/10/1914 and served as a Lance Corporal with service number 511.

1914/1915 Star Roll (NA Ref. WO329/2937) shows that 511 L/Cpl. Walton, Cyril Guy Montague disembarked in theatre on 15/03/1915* and was discharged as medically unfit on 17/11/1915.

British War & Victory Medal Roll (NA Ref. WO329/2337) shows that 511 L/Cpl. Walton, Cyril Guy Montague served overseas in the African theatre from 09/03/1915* to 24/10/1915.

* To clarify the two dates listed in the Medal Rolls the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment left Beira in Portuguese East Africa on 09/031915 aboard the s.s. Umzumbi and disembarked at Kilindini (Mombasa) in British East Africa on 15/03/1915.

Steve

JP, Peter and Steve - thank you so much for all of this extremely useful information. GWF help is fanatastic as always. I am particularly pleased to find a photo of Herbert Parlby Walton and to find much more on Cyril Guy Montague. This just leaves me with Thomas Eric Leslie, who i now at least know when from RFA to 2/28th London (Artists) to the RFC. 

Many thanks

JOSTURM (Peter)

• 1 month later...

Reporting back just to say Cyril Waltons son Norman is alive at 98 years in Cape Town and I am hoping to be in contact with the family soon to get the full story.

Photo of Herbert Parlby Walton killed on 7.11.17 at Ypres and a very nice photo of him and his two younger brothers, Cyril and Thomas taken in London before the war.

Herbert Parlby Walton.jpeg

Ellen Parlby - sons.jpg

Edited by JOSTURM

• 9 months later...

Dear Josturm,

Just to let you know, my name is Peter Parlby Walton, the son of Thomas Eric Leslie Walton, born 1939 in Cape Town and my mother was Dorothy Vincent Walton (nee Priestly). Joseph Herbert was my grandfather, whom sadly I never met.

Norman Walton is indeed still alive (as at end of last year), 99 years old tomorrow, but sadly suffers badly from the dreadful disease Parkinson's. I do know Norman

(a Red Beret and Glider pilot during WW2) did some extensive research on our family history and my late sister Elizabeth also followed up numerous leads but unfortunately do not have any of their research to hand. 

I am in possession of Herbert army sword which was handed down to me on the death of my father, April 1962.

Kind regards

Peter Parlby Walton

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All

Amazing what one finds on the internet! Norman Herbert Walton is my great uncle (father's uncle, Norman's late sister Margery Edna Walton married my late grandfather Albert Joseph Bick) living in Cape Town. Profoundly deaf but marbles still there and all communication through writing on our side. His wife Joyce (nee Zeeman) has Parkinsons but still going strong. They never had children of their own but Joyce had 3 children from a previous marriage.

My father in Cape Town may be able to find all his research as he and Norman are still in regular contact and I'm sure Norman would be happy for it all to be shared. 

I'm happy to help, not sure what is the best way but I can send through my father's email address if anyone is interested in making contact with him. AJ Bick served as Colonel in the Dukes regiment based at the castle in Cape Town but my father would know more.

Simon Bick

Bristol,UK

Good to receive your up date Simon. The sword I refer to in my earlier posting was indeed used by your late grandfather Joe Bick when he was Commander and Colonel of the Dukes. Delighted to hear that your Dad and Norman are still keep in touch. Amazingly I have not had a response to my information regarding my late Dad , Thomas Lesley Eric Walton, brother of Cyril Walton, that Jostrum (Peter Leonard) was seeking.

Peter Walton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Good to hear from a family member and fill in some of the missing links of the lineage. It would be great to get some more information,  are you still in Cape Town?  Do you have an email address?  

I have some been given some wonderful background to the Walton history by Peter Leonard, including the famous picture of the 3 Walton brothers. 

Geoffrey Bick 

• 3 weeks later...

Apologise for the delay in replying. I left Cape Town January 1958 and after 22 years in Rhodesia live in Berkshire UK. My email address is pwalton9 (at) sky.com.

Kind regards

Peter (Walt)

Edited by ss002d6252
Email address tweaked so less likely to be picked up by bots

• 1 year later...
On 17/03/2019 at 12:39, Walt said:

That is my Dad, Thomas Leslie Walton holding the croquet mallet in front. First time I have ever seen this photograph!

Peter Parlby Walton

Hi Walt (Peter),

stupidly, I have not been on The Forum for at least 18 months and had not seen your messages relating to your father and grandfather etc. 

I am the Walton cousin Who got in contact with Geoff Bick in 2019 and he was able to tell his Uncle (Norman) about my extensive research into the Walton family back in London. 

Yesterday, I got a text from Geoff to say that Norman had passed, aged 100 abs a few weeks after his wife, Joyce. In order to track down Norman, some ex-colleagues of his at Bidvest Walton’s sent me some photographs of him during his career.

I am 61, married, 2 boys, semi-retired and living in Leatherhead. My email is peter Leo one at bt internet dot com.

i have your email, so will message you very soon.

your great grandfather / grandfather, Herbert Joseph’s grandfather was Thomas Walton born 1793 died 1836 a Pastry Cook at No 98-100 Bishopsgate. He had a Freedom of the City, left a Will and was entitled to vote before the Great Reform Act of 1832. He had two younger brothers, William born 1796 and John born between 1802-4. All 3 brothers worked together in the 1820’s at no 2 Frog Lane, Islington.

My grandmother was Dorothy Walton and her Great great grandfather was John Walton (1802-4 to 1860).

Please email me as soon as you can as I,d love to connect.

Peter Leonard

On 06/06/2019 at 22:27, Guest said:

Hi All

Amazing what one finds on the internet! Norman Herbert Walton is my great uncle (father's uncle, Norman's late sister Margery Edna Walton married my late grandfather Albert Joseph Bick) living in Cape Town. Profoundly deaf but marbles still there and all communication through writing on our side. His wife Joyce (nee Zeeman) has Parkinsons but still going strong. They never had children of their own but Joyce had 3 children from a previous marriage.

My father in Cape Town may be able to find all his research as he and Norman are still in regular contact and I'm sure Norman would be happy for it all to be shared. 

I'm happy to help, not sure what is the best way but I can send through my father's email address if anyone is interested in making contact with him. AJ Bick served as Colonel in the Dukes regiment based at the castle in Cape Town but my father would know more.

Simon Bick

Bristol,UK

Hi All

Simon Bick

Bristol,UK

Hi All

Simon Bick

Bristol,UK

Hi Simon, 

peter Leonard here (Surrey uk). I am in contact with Geoff (your dad I think).

keen to contact you by email about the Walton family history. 
my email is DELETED (Admin)

rgds

peter

• Admin

Please do not post personal email on the open forum to prevent spamming and spammers.

you can use the Forum Personal Messaging system simply click on the name of the person you wish to contact to take you to their page and open the message icon 

Thank you

thanks

• Admin

Unfortunately Simon is no longer a member here, as denoted by  guest.