Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Havre and Harfleur base

Chris_Baker

• Admin

Nice article - thank you for sharing.

Is there any particular reason why you haven't included the 7th and 36th IBDs in your list of units stationed at the Le Havre/Harfluer Base? They do appear as such on your LLT IBD page.

Regards

Russ

I'm only putting stuff onto the article when I have confirmed the facts from two sources. I'm trying to determine precise locations for the IBDs and it's proving difficult in most cases. I have one piece of evidence each for  7 and 36 so far!

I have a 1917 map which shows the location of all the Base Depots below The map also shows the location of sundry other units and establishments in Havre and its environs which I will post in due course.

Base Depots - Rouelles and Harfluer

No  9  Camp      -  1st Div IBD

No 10 Camp     -  Guards Div

No 11 Camp     -  RHA & RFA

No 12 Camp     -  RGA

No 13 Camp     -  RHA & RFA

No 14 Camp     -  7 Inf Div 

No 15 Camp     -  8 Inf Div

No 16 Camp     -  49 BD

No 17 Camp     -  47 Inf Div

No 18 Camp     -  5 Australian Div

No 19 Camp    -   36 Inf Div

No 20 Camp    -   3 Australian Div

No 21 Camp    -   4 Australian Div

No 22  camp    -   1 Australian Div

No 23 Camp    -   2 Australian Div.

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 8 months later...

Terry Reeves.  Would it possible to see the map you mention in your post?  After convalescence my Grandfather was posted to Base Havre in November 1917. He would have been I assume in one of the two camps you list as RHA/RFA. My grandad was a gunner in the RFA.

My Grandfathers was gassed on 28/3/1918 and after recouperating in England  he returned to France. His 1918 Diary shows:

He travelled back from Folkstone to a Rest Camp in Boulogne and then from 12/9 to 16/9  he was in Harfleur initialy with

"M troop 11 camp" and then he "Shifted to K troop".

He then travelled by train via Rouen, Etaples, Anvin and Verchin to Arras rejoining 281 Bde RFA near Monchy Le Preux on 20/9/18

Bob

thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see finally how many different actors had to deploy ... apart from the purely "soldiery" elements, they had logistics, Signals, Medical ... compare that to today's "quick Reaction Force" (because, let's face it, that was exactly what the BEF did, at the start), there's a lot we can learn from that today...

M;