Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horse race course Rouen

mandy hall

I am intending to be in Rouen on the 100th anniversary of my great uncle’s death in May.  This old thread has lots of information on the hospitals in Rouen.  @b3rnalso has a link to some photos of where the race course was.  Can anyone tell me where the race course was, so I can visit?

Mandy

9 hours ago, Skipman said:

Not certain, but possibly Champs des Courses  Click

Mike

Thank you for the link Mike.  A site I didn’t find when searching the net.

Mandy

5 hours ago, b3rn said:

Hi Mandy,

Here is a Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/xjdNYfjazt22

The racecourse is now a park with playing fields.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thrutheselines/sets/72157628872793639/

Thank you for the map and photos, b3rn exactly what I need.  

Strange thing is, I never thought it would be so close to St Sever Cemetery, I always assumed it would be outside of the town somewhere.

Seeing it on a map makes perfect sense now and I have driven past it a few times on my way to the cemetery.

Mandy

That is a very useful link. My great uncle died at No 6 General Hospital Rouen and buried in St Server Cemetery. Pity I did not have this info when I went some years ago but will use it next time, so thanks again.

Thanks again to @b3rn following the links to your sites in your signature, I have found the War Diary for 1st Australian General Hospital.  I  was very surprised to find it, records the soldiers death’s by name and also time of death.  The below page has my great uncle on 24th May.

Mandy

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1339247

26DD8A37-106E-4D9A-ABF0-225DBD4AC561.png

Hi Mandy, pleased to hear the site helped in furthering your research.

Mandy

I had the same piece of luck with No 6 General Hospital not only recording his death but the cause of it (GSW Femur).

Pete if you would like me to visit your great uncle’s grave when I am there in May let me know?

Mandy

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone who replied, this evening I have visited the site of the old race course, where my great uncle was 100 years ago today.  Tomorrow I will be at his grave.  Photos from this evening, not much to see now.

DFA9B761-1A8E-4E14-B185-C951BBE6ECC3.jpeg

43445FCE-D66C-48B3-863F-31859ADC9414.jpeg

51683CBA-F9AE-42DB-A3B6-22F0A057FF8A.jpeg

Mandy

Sorry I missed your offer of visiting my Uncle's grave. Thank you for the offer. I have been there myself and my wife placed a poppy cross on the military nurses grave in the cemetery. 

My great uncle’s grave, Thursday morning.  Although the headstone says the 22nd, his date of death is 24th May.  The CWGC have changed the date of death on their website and will eventually change the date on his headstone.

Mandy

6DBFEE1E-2640-416F-9B29-100A7940984D.jpeg

Edited by mandy hall
Extra information reference date of death.

Marvellous Mandy; I'm so pleased that you could be there and also find so much out.

Pete.

Hi Pete, I am very lucky that Harry has a surviving service record and that he worked for a well known local company, who kept in touch with their employees and kept their letters that are now deposited in the West Sussex Records Office.

Mandy