Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hell’s Angels (1930) accuracy

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

I am sure Hell's Angels (1930) is full of flying and military inaccuracies.

However, in one of the most stirring scenes in the movie there is a simultaneous and mass takeoff of 15 or 16 aircraft from Richthofen’s Flying Circus. My question is, how historically accurate is this? Was it common for WW1 squadrons to take off in this fashion -- all at once?

Gary

Gary

In short: No.

In the early years, aircraft took off individually and, when operating as part of a formation, took station with their companions before setting off for the lines.

Formation take-offs were sometimes used, as they saved the time that could be wasted assembling a formation but, as far as I know, they were generally limited to a few aircraft at a time. There was a danger of taking off aircraft colliding, or having problems due to the wake turbulence of other machines (slight by present day standards, but still a potential hazard).

Another book you might like to read is The Royal Flying Corps in World War I by Ralph Barker.

Regards

Gareth

Guest Pete Wood

Less engine power and relatively small rudder/elevator surfaces also meant that WW1 aeroplanes 'wandered' about more, compared to WW2 vintage (and later) aeroplanes - especially at low speeds. With so many inexperienced pilots, as Dolphin suggests, accidents would have been plentiful on mass take-offs.

You only have to look at accident reports from the flying schools to see how many aeroplanes were involved in collisions on the ground and in the air, close to a base.

I am unsure about this but, from the plans I have seen of many forward bases, the airstrips seem much narrower in WW1 than 'permanent' aerodromes.....??

Another book you might like to read is The Royal Flying Corps in World War I by Ralph Barker.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth

I've just been given this book as a Birthday Present,i've yet to start it.I do however have one question/thing to say about it, "is it a good one" ??.

Stephen :unsure:

Edited by STEVEN

Stephen

Yes, it's a good account of the RFC's War, especially the early period.

However, as stated in the title, it is very RFC-specific and therefore misses some aspects of the air war, such as the work of the RNAS and of the RAF after 1 April 1918. There's also little on operations away from the Western Front. Nevertheless, it's a good coverage of what the author set out to describe.

A similar book, and one also recommended for a good general coverage of British air operations, is Nigel Steel and Peter Hart's Tumult in the Clouds.

Regards

Gareth

A similar book, and one also recommended for a good general coverage of British air operations, is Nigel Steel and Peter Hart's Tumult in the Clouds.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth

Thanks for the comments on the book and thanks for the recomendation on the second book.I will keep a look out for that one.

Stephen :D

Rotary engined planes could barely fly in formation, lt alone take off in one. The inline engined planes were better in this respect, since they had proper throttles, but they still took off separately most of the time.