Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hughkerr

Hi All,

My Grandfather, Robert Kerr, fought on the Western Front with the 13th Royal Scots (Private R Kerr, 26301).  he fought from August 1915 and thankfully, survived the war.  In the only photo we have of him during his war years he is wearing hospital blues, white shirt, red tie and blue tunic, and until now I have been unable to track down what hospital the photograph was taken in, or the injuries he sustained that resulted in him being treated there.  I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding this, I have attached the photograph for information.  

Thanks in anticipation

Hugh

Robert Dot Kerr 1918 approx 2.jpg

According to the original Medal Rolls your GF began his front line service with 15 Battalion RS. Somewhere along the way he moved to 13 Battalion, as is likely from your comments this change probably after wounds recovery. There is an item in Forces War Records for an R Kerr of the Royal Scots (unusually no service number shown) for 1918 and which may refer to a wounding. You need a sub to see the record, which, if you can positively ID the right man will show his wounds and where he was shipped out to a coastal hospital in France . Without a service record you may not find out if he was merely treated and recovered in France or actually returned home for a period.

I theorise that he was one of the 771 casualties from fighting in March/April 1918 in the Croisilles/Armentieres sector, during May 1918 the Battalion was declared as cadre strength and withdrawn from the front line, and there is every possibility that he  came back to join the13 Battalion later.

Thanks for the replies Sotonmate and Mark1959 it is much appreciated.  I have to admit to not having a lot of knowledge about this and really appreciate the help.  

Also, and please pardon my ignorance, but did wounded soldiers only wear hospital blues when they were shipped back to the U.K. 

Regards

Hugh

Hugh

My understanding is they were hospital ware. So I suppose they might have been seen in the blues in the town local to the hospital, during convalescence, but that would be about it.

None of the medical records on FWR seem relevant to your relative. Never seen a photo of someone wearing blues in France.