Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Review of Munitions Supply

Dust Jacket Collector

I’ve recently bought an original copy of one of the History of the Ministry of Munitions volumes - Volume IX : Review of Munitions Supply. Most of the other volumes in the series are quite long being made up of several parts but this one is rather thin having only two parts - Munitions Programmes & Design and Inspections. The index page shows a third part which has been crossed out - Statistical Review of Output. I don’t have the N & M reprint and I can’t find this volume online. The binding looks original so my question to anyone who has a copy is - is my copy complete? Is Part three missing or was it never produced?

Thanks in advance.

The index page of the N&M facsimile reprint has no mention of a Statistical Review of Output; only Part I, Munitions Programmes and Part II, Design and Inspections. However, there exists an 87 page document, "Review of Munitions Output 1914-18", prepared by DMRS in early 1920, and perhaps this was initially intended to be incorporated in Volume IX of the Official History.

What is the warrant number on the printer's imprint at the bottom of the contents page?

Thanks for the information. It’s good to know I don’t seem to be missing any parts. The number shown for part 1 is (5179) Wt.25412/X3940 250 1/22 Harrow G.36

The second part has a different no. (3978) Wt.13764/X3819 250 Harrow G.36

I can't answer your question specifically but the TNA library has a full set and amongst the MUN files are the draft histories.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I can't answer your question specifically but the TNA library has a full set and amongst the MUN files are the draft histories.

TR

Thanks Terry, I’ll check that out. I assume TNA is the National Archive.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

The number shown for part 1 is (5179) Wt.25412/X3940 250 1/22 Harrow G.36.

Both the warrant number (25412/X3940) and the printer's internal job number (5179) are the same in the N&M facsimile reprint, so maybe your copy is a pre-run proof, which allowed a final modification before the print run of 250. It is a bit odd.

Edited by 14276265

22 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thanks Terry, I’ll check that out. I assume TNA is the National Archive.

DJC , yes it is.

TR

6 hours ago, Maureene said:

There is an online edition available as Public Domain for those who live in the USA, or otherwise have access, but not available  to me.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100684998

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks, Maureen. One wonders what possible copyright restrictions could apply to 6 volumes from a set of 12 all held by the same library and published nearly 100 years ago?