Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Dragoon Guards October 1916 - location / War dairys help

brett361975

I wonder if anyone could help me with the location of the 5th Dragoon Guards 25th October 1916 ?

I am trying to trace the death of 10797  Charles Walker who died on the 25th October 1916 and is buried in Contay.

Would anyone be able to help me with an exact location or the war diary for that time period ?

Any help greatfully received

Kind regards

Brett

Hi

War diary on National Archives HERE for a fee

5 Dragoon Guards

Reference:WO 95/1109/2

Description:

5 Dragoon Guards

Date:1914 Aug. - 1919 Apr.

Died of Wounds on 25 Oct 1916. War Diary has little to say about Aug to Oct 1916 so you may have to read a few pages, perhaps from July of that year to see if there are any wounded mentioned. According to the LLT 1 Cavalry Division, of which 5DG were a part, fought at FLERS-COURCELLETE from 15th Sept 1916.

21-31 October 1916. Remained at MONTRELET . Operations held up owing to rain and bad weather.

Edited by sotonmate

Thank you very much gents, much apprecaited

Kind regards

Brett

The regimental history is absolutely no help at all (1916 might well not have happened), so I checked the histories of the other two regiments in 1st Cavalry brigade. The Bays' history says that the 1st Cavalry Brigade spent much of September behind the lones, waiting for use in exploiting the big attacks on 15th september: when this didn't happen they waited a bit and then withdrew from the area, commencing on the 23rd.

However, the 11th Hussars states pretty much the same, but adds that the Bde returned to the area subsequently in preparation for another break through on 25th October.

The 11th do comment that they lost one man, killed by shell fir arounf the 25th/26th, and later organised a working party to prepare a cavalry track near Aveluy, ready for the forthcoming attack.

I suspect your man may well have been wounded by long-range artillery fire, or on a working party or similar. Probably one of those 'bad luck' deaths.

• 4 months later...

Hi Gents just joined today and I'm trying to find what happened to my Great Uncle Charles Walker 10797 5th dragoon guards prince Charlotte of wales, who was killed on the somme on the 25/10/1916 what id very much like to know was how he died and where he died and if possible his DOB I know he was 19 years when killed and he joined up in 1914 bit cant find his DOB anywhere.

Brett very kindly put the initial post out for me earlier in the year in February, theres been several replies and I just wondered if there was any possibility of any of you elaborating on your kind posts or give me any further snippets doesn't matter how small.

I've been out to the Grave in Contay France on the very day he was killed to mark the 100 anniversary with my dad and son it was very emotional.

Please find some memories of him below, most are self explanatory, but the picture of the lady at the Grave is Charles Mum, I know when I went there in October 2016 it wasn't the easiest place to get to so I can only imagine what it must have been like for is Mum to go in 1916 it must have been the equivalent of going around the world then, the first picture of the grave is the original wooden cross before they put the permanent memorial stone on it, the picture with buttons etc was is total possessions that he had on him when he died, notice on that picture is a little brooch with Mother on it I can only imagine that he gave it to his Mum for Mothers day and when he went to war she gave it him back for good luck, when I went to Charles Grave I returned it to him and buried it at the grave. 

Many thanks in advance

Steve Walker

Contay .jpg

img003.jpg

img005.jpg

img027.jpg

img036 copy.jpg

img017.jpg

img018 2.jpg

img020.jpg

There is a brief newspaper article (with small photo) in the Manchester Evening News of Monday 27 November 1916
Although it gets his regiment wrong, saying he was in the grenadier guards instead of dragoon guards.

It just says he did of wounds on the 25th and was previously employed by the Salford corporation tramways as a junior conductor, then listing his parents as living at 125 Bridstone street, Weaste.

Derek.

A few bits from Salford:

Newspaper cutting mentioned by Derek

walkerc.jpg.3fbef444c7ac8b1e55d3f79c9741539a.jpgwalkerc1.jpg.0be703c082ecd0400add8b1e7b85fa8c.jpg

Charles is remembered on the following memorials in Salford.

Salford Corporation Memorial which is inside the old town hall (Bexley Square).

1889844998_SalfordCorporationMemorial(Medium).jpg.79daeaeb24e68edbf8eecf07c1beb8e1.jpg

The Frederick Road Depot memorial currently at the Museum of Transport, in Boyle Street, Cheetham.

16145363_sctransport2Medium.JPG.8b6473f204e065c366f5bcd4243e3bbe.JPG

St Luke's Church, Weaste.

3435524_orig.jpg.ca428407335efb8753f005a9ffd25a1b.jpg

WOW WOW WOW thats absolutely brilliant thank you so much for that cant tell you how pleased and emotional i was to seeing  his name on them memorials i certainly will be going to visit them 

thanks again steve 

img010 copy.jpg

It just struck me: how appropriate that he died on the (62nd) anniversary of his regiment's charge at Balaklava. The 5th were part of the Heavy Brigade under Scarlett, which routed the Russian cavalry on the Causeway Heights.

• 1 month later...

Very nice indeed

• 1 year later...
On 29/09/2018 at 08:04, Steve said:

Visit to Charles Grave with my Dad and Son (ex Cheshire regiment )at Contay war Graves cemetery France x

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

DAD191EB-4D78-4EA5-B62C-292FC5C30EF3.jpeg

E5CA5D46-DC50-495A-80DC-367CE5CF1BA9.jpeg

8E18FE56-3E86-4B07-B259-65A139836BDF.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Good evening Brett,

I've come across your post and wanted to share some information which I believe will be of interest.

Whilst researching my own Grandads history, who is also a "James William Walker" of the 5th Dragoon Guards, I believe I've discovered a memorial in St Georges Church in Aldershot, Hampshire where your Grandfathers name is also recorded. I just wanted to make you aware of this. I also found his birth place was Manchester (War Graves) but unfortunately no dates or further info found. 

Hope this helps your research.

Kindest Regards

John aka Anorak :-)

• 5 months later...

Firstly John apologies for the extremely late reply, it only because I’d not logged in for sometime now.

Thank you very much John for taking the time and getting in touch it was very much appreciated, I certainly will investigate it further and visit the site.

once again thanks John 

kind regards Steve Walker 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 08:28, Steve said:

hi steve thanks for your reply i have been research ing my grandad since 1977 been out flanders many times the day your relative was killed the british artillar

• 3 weeks later...
5 dragoon guards charles walker war dairys spacer.png spacer.png
spacer.pnghi steve thanks for yur reply i have been reseaerching my grandad since 1977 been to flanders many times traceing his foot steps your relative was killed when the british artillary were having a hate day and shelling the german lines the germans thought that a attack was coming and shelled the british lines the 5 dragoon guards had been brougth up to strength  and had spare men that were put on working partys and in the trenches as infantry the rest of the regiment every nigt went up to were they were held back for the big break through which didnt happen men and horses were in a bad state i think what you done for charles is brillant my grandads on the menin gate i see your relative lisened to some old sweats and had a dog tag on is wrist in case he was killed the fibre ones the army gave out were useless and rotted in the ground thats why so many arent named on the headstones. if you go to photos of 5 dragoons at messines 1914 on google  you will see photos of the panels in the church at aldershot h

ow relatives names ofwalker are all together on the panel i have wrote to the church for a visit had noreply i researched the lad to thje rigth of charles in the queens  rgt had found lot of information about what was happening around the time they were wounded the queens surrey museum lets you look at the war diarys for free  hope this helps steve anorak john