Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
steandpaula

"There but not there" centenary remembrance.

caulkheader
5 hours ago, Moonraker said:

And all this in a village that is happy to host an annual ANZAC day service and parade (most burials in the CWGC cemetery extension are Antipodean soldiers who died in the local, substantial WW1 hospital).

Maybe the 'there but not there' silhouettes are less likely to attract visitors/money to the area . . . . 

Steven Broomfield

Covered extensively on the local BBC TV News. A few of the opponents were interviewed: the usual middle-class liberals with too much time on their hands to feel guilty about everything.

sassenach

Further proof, if it were needed, that the world has gone collectively bonkers.

593jones

The capacity of the British (well, some of them) to feel offended on behalf of someone else never fails to amuse amaze me.

Moonraker

Today I walked through Silchester in Hampshire (best known for very visible remains of a Roman town). A silhouette had been placed close to the roadside and war memorial.

A nice touch was a display stand nearby giving brief biographies and photographs of the six Great War fatalities. I know that many communities have researched their fatalities and produced booklets, but I wonder how many have so publicly displayed the results? (Not so much of a challenge for smaller places, of course.)

Also of interest was that Silchester had the same number of fatalities in both world wars - usually the list is noticeably longer for the Great War.

Moonraker