Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Types of horses used in the Palestine campaign

Eran Tearosh

I'm in the process of preparation of various events later this year, planned to commemorate Megiddo.  As a major part of that ultra successful offensive was carried out by the mounted forces, I'm trying to figure out a few lose ends in my knowledge. First, I'm trying to find some info about the different type of horses used in the Palestine campaign. 

As well known, the Australian Light-Horse brought their Wailers from their homeland, but I don't know about the others: The British Yeomanry horses, the New-Zealanders (NZMR) horses, the Indian horses. Which type of horses were used as draught or pack horses (What's the difference between those?)? 

Remounts: I understand that most remounts that arrived during 1916-17 for all the cavalry were shipped from Australia. From Preston's Desert Mounted Corps I understand that additional 8,000 remounts that were bought by the British government in Australia & Canada were never brought over due to lack of ships.  

Thanks, Eran 

I think that originally each part of the British forces brought their own locally-bred horses across with them, but as the Army expanded, horses were bought from various countries across the world. The British also seemed to have bought "Walers" (originally from New South Wales). However, as Preston's book illustrates, there were problems with obtaining shipping for long-distance voyages, plus the risk of loss from U-Boat attacks in the North Atlantic.

Draught horses were those which pulled wagons, with a subdivision of "heavy draught" (Shires, Suffolk Punches, Clydesdales etc) to pull the 60-pounder guns and certain supply wagons where speed was less important than the ability to move heavier loads. Ordinary draught horses, which were used to pull field guns and ammunition  wagons, were generally of the type known as "light vanners", which were in common everyday use in civilian life.

Pack horses, which were less numerous, carried loads on their backs and were led by their drivers. They were particularly used by the Indian Mountain Artillery for their guns which could be dismantled for transport, and in Macedonia because of the mountainous terrain with fewer good roads. An ordinary infantry battalion in France had nine pack horses, used for transport of ammunition. Wagons were used to carry machine guns , but they  also had sets of packsaddlery, for use when the ground became impassable for wagons.

Ron

Hello,

The British did bring their own horses to start with - many Yeomanry officers literally brought their own animals.  Remounts were acquired from Australia, and also (in 1914-16 at least, and I assume still after that) from Argentina.

Cheers

Stuart

The best source would be the relevant volume of Anglesey's history: I'll try and look it up this evening.

Many of the Indian regiments used small Indian-bred ponies, I believe, but as I say, Anglesey is a good source.

A brief look at Anglesey indicates that some horses were shipped from Australia, but generally, shippoing issuesled to most horses coming via the UK; therefore, from UK, Canada and the USA.

I have more references so will check later in the week.

Mate,

Also Australia had been supplying horses to India for many years before the war (1800's), and this trade was the main reason we keep large herds of horses around the country.

This trade continued during the war with remounts been sent to India.

It seams we supplied horses to all countries?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker