Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Artillery at Tsingtao

Noyes16

I've just finished reading "The Fall of Tsingtao"  by Edwin Hoyt. In the book he repeatedly refers to "British artillery". I know that the 2nd South Wales Borderers, 36th Sikhs, and several Royal Navy ships such as HMS Triumph were involved in the siege but haven't heard of any Royal Artillery units being used. Does anyone know which RA units were at Tsingtao or has Hoyt got this wrong?

Only for the process of eliminating potential sources, General Sir Martin Farndale's  "The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base 1914 -18" appears to make no mention of this event.

Is the author referring to Naval Artillery?

Peter

Edited by petwes

Having read John Dixon's A Clash Of Empires. The South Wales Borderers At Tsingtao , 1914 (Bridge Books, Wrexham 2008) it is clear there were no British/Indian artillery units embarked for, or involved in the siege.  A solitary artilleryman (Major H.G.Pringle) was mentioned in dispatches, but he was a staff officer.  

Clive

No mention of what type of artillery Hoyt is referring to. He just repeatedly refers to British and Japanese artillery during the siege. There doesn't appear to be too much information about on the siege of Tsingtao but I've never heard of any British artillery units being involved. As the book was published back in the 1970's I think it's just a bit of out of date information.  

I think you're right - the British & Indian Army force sent to Tsingtao did not include any artillery.  I don't know if the RN ships added any firepower, though.

The Japanese had plenty of Artillery in the 18th Independendent Division they sent to Tsingtao: 

24th Regiment Field Artillery

1st Battalion 3rd Heavy Field Artillery

2nd Regiment Heavy Field Artillery

3rd Regiment Heavy Field Artillery

Light short range mortar sections 

1st/2nd/3rd/4th Battalions Independent Siege Artillery

Independent Siege Artillery Battery

Naval Heavy Artillery